Benchmarks (from the rest of the world)

elyob

In 2016, with our creation of the Latin America Benchmarks waymark category, benchmarks for all of the western hemisphere had a place in Waymarking.  By now, most of Europe’s benchmarks can be waymarked.  Australia and New Zealand are covered.  Was there ever a discussion about a category for benchmarks in the other countries, perhaps all of the other countries?

On 9/22/2022 at 8:48 PM, elyob said:

In 2016, with our creation of the Latin America Benchmarks waymark category, benchmarks for all of the western hemisphere had a place in Waymarking.  By now, most of Europe’s benchmarks can be waymarked.  Australia and New Zealand are covered.  Was there ever a discussion about a category for benchmarks in the other countries, perhaps all of the other countries?

What countries are we missing? And of these countries, is there enough "tourism" or need to justify a new catch all category?

On 9/29/2022 at 4:19 AM, elyob said:

I was thinking of all the countries of Asia and Africa (excluding South Africa).  I would let the countries of Europe and Oceania which do not yet have a benchmark Waymarking category create their own national category.

For countries in Europe, that don't have their own benchmark category, we have "European Historic Survey Stones, Monuments and Benchmarks", and in that category I posted one WM each in Austria, Hungary and Poland. So, from my point of view, Europe is covered 100%.

I wouldn't be against a category for Asia and Africa, but who has enough knowledge about that area to write a good category description and define the criteria?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 9/30/2022 at 2:04 AM, PISA-caching said:

I wouldn't be against a category for Asia and Africa, but who has enough knowledge about that area to write a good category description and define the criteria?

Neither would I, and ditto.

Keith

On 10/17/2022 at 12:29 PM, Max and 99 said:

I thought today's news release might be relevant to this discussion:

Hmmmm! Not really relevant for myself, but possibly so for other Benchmark hunters.

Keith

• Helpful 1

Thank you for sharing that news release.  I think it's terrible news but I am not surprised.  I don't know why fancy excuses have to be invented for Groundspeak removing the benchmarking game.  There's only one true explanation.  The coding is ancient.

• Upvote 3
6 hours ago, wayfrog said:

No. We stay! :omnomnom:

Thanks for the reassurance, Wayfroggie. That may well prod me to float an idea that fell out of a book I opened just a few minutes ago. 

So, check for a new proposal/thought to soon appear under this heading! :)

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII