Hiding a cache

FLeghorn

Hello

My family has hidden a cache at the plantman 0.4 virtual cache location and administration says they cannot activate my real cache since the virtual was listed first. They recommend that I contact the cache owner to have the virtual cache archived. I have sent email to plantman but there is no response. Now I hear he is on an extended vacation. Do any of you have a new way

of contacting this traveling cacher?

Pay attention to me, boy! I'm not just talking to hear my head roar! - Foghorn Leghorn

You try post to his/her cache pages asking they contact you. But if they aren't responding to email they may not have contstant internet access, so It may not do any good.

I guess you referring to this cache.

Just one question, What will you do if they do not want another cache nearby? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:

I guess you referring to this http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37205.

Just one question, What will you do if they do not want another cache nearby? icon_confused.gif

Yes, that is the cache I was referring to. While I will understand if they do not want to archive their cache in favour of a traditional, my Children will be disapointed as this is the spot they selected.

For your information, it was Geocaching.com administration who suggested I contact the virtual cache owner and ask them to archive the virtual cache.

Pay attention to me, boy! I'm not just talking to hear my head roar! - Foghorn Leghorn

quote:
Originally posted by Car37 & Shnde:

Or you could move your cache far enough away from the virtual site to quilify and have the two in the same area. Yours could be on a nearby hiking trail. Just a thought.

Car37

Thank you for your comment. We placed this cache as a family and the children agreed upon this site so you can understand why it is special to me. Also, Geocaching.com administration suggested we contact the owner to see if they wanted to archive the virtual as it is my belief that Geocaching.com would prefer to see a real cache in a spot over a virtual.

Do a two-step multi-cache and steer the cacher to the location via a first virtual stop. ie: have them perform a math calculation based on something where you would normally park your car. This could be a number embossed on a nearby utility pole, number of wooden curbs in the parking lot, a number suggested by a local sign, number of kybos nearby etc! I've seen all these used - okay, maybe not the number of kybos but you get the idea.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Plantman is in Australia right now for a year, so don't expect a reply. Just do the multipart and everything will be fine. Or use coordinates that are 60 meters away and list the actual coordiantes on the page in the "about the cache" part.

Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose, but there will always be another cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Foghorn Leghorn:

For your information, it was Geocaching.com administration who suggested I contact the virtual cache owner and ask them to archive the virtual cache.

FYI- You said as much in your first post. I DID notice it, but thanks for pointing it out again. icon_confused.gif

"administration says they cannot activate my real cache since the virtual was listed first. They recommend that I contact the cache owner to have the virtual cache archived."

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Hello everyone, thank you for the suggestions many of which are very clever.

I do not think there should be two caches in the exact same spot. We will move our cache a little further away from the read the signs cache so as not to cause conflict. I thought geocaching would prefer to have the non virtual cache there. While they would prefer this it cannot happen with the virtual owner incommunicado. One more point. I feel plantman should have left someone in charge of his caches since he will be away for so long.

quote:
Originally posted by Foghorn Leghorn:

I feel plantman should have left someone in charge of his caches since he will be away for so long.

I believe Plantman did leave someone in charge of his caches - I believe it was YellowCode3? You may wish to contact him. Some of the more active cachers from the Victoria area would probably know for sure.

A local geocacher has assisted me in creating an offset cache. I am very thankful for this and hope it will be approved this time. Also plantman did leave someone in charge of his caches but it was not yellowcord3. Thank you everyone for your assistance.