Coordinates in Whistler Village

Guest a_calder

Guest a_calder

Hey there,

Can anyone give me coordiates for any spot in Whistler Village? I am trying to figure out how many kilometres away Whistler is from a few caches in that general area.

I was trying Excite Maps, but I was having a heck of a time. I'd rather just put the Lat & Long into my GPSR and have it do the math.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alistair

Alistair try N 50º 06.892 min W 122º 57.259 min. This will put you in the front lobby of Whistler Village Inn. The coords taken from Mapsource City Select maps.

Am I to assume skiing and caching at same time?

Have a nice trip, Olar

6323_500.gif

Guest a_calder

Thanks both!

I feel as though I was roundly scorned by Mr. Gigabyte...apologies for my sloth! icon_smile.gif

I was, in fact, using Excite Maps, but I wasn't sure how to convert the Lat & Long back to the WGS-84 system used by my GPS III+.

I figured it would be easier to have someone voluteer the numbers for me.

How does one go about converting those numbers anyway? And what format are the Excite coordinates in exactly?

Alistair.

PS: Olar...no skiing, just going up to Whistler for a wine convention. I'll have most of Sunday free, so I am going to try and find the 3 caches in the area.

[This message has been edited by a_calder (edited 07 November 2001).]

Guest a_calder

Thanks both!

I feel as though I was roundly scorned by Mr. Gigabyte...apologies for my sloth! icon_smile.gif

I was, in fact, using Excite Maps, but I wasn't sure how to convert the Lat & Long back to the WGS-84 system used by my GPS III+.

I figured it would be easier to have someone voluteer the numbers for me.

How does one go about converting those numbers anyway? And what format are the Excite coordinates in exactly?

Alistair.

PS: Olar...no skiing, just going up to Whistler for a wine convention. I'll have most of Sunday free, so I am going to try and find the 3 caches in the area.

[This message has been edited by a_calder (edited 07 November 2001).]

Guest mrgigabyte

The coordinates given at most map based sites are in latitude and longitude. The values expressed in the previously quoted URL are N50.116168 and W122.959423.

These are displayed in Hddd.dddddd. To enter them in your GPSr, just set the input unit settings to decimal degrees. This has nothing to do with datums. This is just the units for input and output.

Alternatively, you could convert them to Hddd mm.mmm (although not necessary) and enter them in to your GPSr that way. By default, most consumer GPSr default to this setting. To convert by hand, just multiply the decimal degrees by 60 to get minutes and decimal minutes.