My trackables are missing...what do I do?

JnLCollins

I had a 100 years of Scouting trackable that shows last moved to CPCBSA Treasures of Scouting Venture Crew #2 in July of 2020........no word since.

I also had Signal FTF geocoins I placed and at last look were not in my caches. 

How do I find out what happened to them, or am I just out of luck? Really makes me hesitant to place any more in the future.

11 hours ago, JnLCollins said:

I had a 100 years of Scouting trackable that shows last moved to CPCBSA Treasures of Scouting Venture Crew #2 in July of 2020........no word since.  I also had Signal FTF geocoins I placed and at last look were not in my caches. 

How do I find out what happened to them, or am I just out of luck? Really makes me hesitant to place any more in the future.

There's really no clue who (really) has them.  We've found long "missing" trackables stuck to the lid of our ammo cans, so anything's possible.

- We release a possession into the world, it's future is based on chance...    :)

A lot of new cachers give up early, like the one who's still "heading down the coast" since '18 with one.   

- No hides/finds since, I'd mark that trackable missing too. 

Curious... a couple have no Drop log (weren't listed in a cache) before you marked them "missing".  Why?  Thanks.

The Tracking Code is yours forever.  We know many people who used that code on other items, some for things they have with them at all times (a vest, backpack, walking stick, patch, bike...), to be Discovered by other folks they meet on the trail. 

We hear of some who "recreate" a trackable and send it back out, but we know of only a couple.

• Upvote 1

This is a pet peeve of mine too having lost a number of trackables. I had one come back lately which was interesting. Seems a person from Germany picked it tip in Nov Scotia at an event and took it home. Moved to Denmark and then just recently found it in a desk drawer. Has since been placed in Scotland. That's a good news story but for the most part when you loose them they are gone. I've made a couple of my own proxies of my own which so far are still active. I no longer purchase trackables due to the loss factor.

There is a store in Nova Scotia that will make a replacement proxy button for you. You give them the tracking code which they put on a replacement and then they release it at an event there.

https://ibgeocaching.com/resurrection/

• Upvote 1

Cerberus 1, I have not marked any of the trackables as missing, so not sure why it shows that way. But, maybe I did not list the coins correctly to begin with. Anyway, sad to see them "gone" and will hope they show up someday, somewhere. 

Not sure I will venture this way again, agree with Klr4evr, purchasing trackables does not seem like a prudent venture.  

• Surprised 1
10 hours ago, JnLCollins said:

purchasing trackables does not seem like a prudent venture.  

There is no requirement to throw these things to the wind.  If you especially like your coin and don't want to see it vanish (and that's perfectly reasonable), you don't even need to activate it.  Keep it at home and enjoy.  With the added benefit of being able to sell it later or somebody making an offer in trade for something you want.  Or you can activate it and allow "Discover" logs at Events or anywhere you meet Geocachers.

As mentioned, you can re-use a Tracking Code in many different ways, including Discover-only items that stay with you.  I revive my lost Trackables as fancy new versions of themselves, and for now, most I'm not even placing again.

I have a bunch of nice Trackable items, Geocoins and interesting tags.  Most were given to me, but I bought some as a kind of investment, with the plan that I may easily trade one for something cool with another cacher someday.  I've also given some away during my caching milestones.  After a couple of years, a Geocoin is suddenly kind of rare, and if it's a cool one, greatly appreciated as a gift.  But I also I keep one for myself.  :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, JnLCollins said:

Not sure I will venture this way again, agree with Klr4evr, purchasing trackables does not seem like a prudent venture.  

I was given a gift of a couple boxes of custom signature coins from the other 2/3rds once, and have over a hundred unique unactivated coins in my collection.

- My first IIRC was the entire Appalachian Trail series. Others are just unusual ones that interested me, like any coin/stamp collection.  :)

The other 2/3rds has hundreds in her collection, heavy enough I bring 'em to events with a hand truck.

- She lost a dozen or so, most never made it any distance, and doesn't send out anymore.

My signature coins, rather than send them out just to go "missing" anyway, are given away in caches (unactivated) as a small incentive to get people to walk a bit.  Used 'em as swag sometimes too.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1