New type of geocache

Geoschatter

I have an idea for a new type of geocache, this cache is actually the geocacher himself.

Most geocachers still use a handheld gps for geocaching but more and more also use their smartphone for that,
hence the great success of the lab caches

Nowadays every smartphone has NFC "Near Field Communication" which could be used to log this new type of geocache.
So if a geocacher meets another geocacher and the hold their smartphone's against (or close to) each other, a "found it" is automatically logged via this NFC. This (automatic) log will then include the other geocacher's details.

As owner you can indicate which data of you will be in this log with the other geocacher.

There is of course already a "friends request" but I think this is at least little used, probably because no point can be earned with that, which is an extra motivation for some geocachers to geocaching.

• Funny 2
On 9/18/2022 at 6:14 AM, Geoschatter said:

So if a geocacher meets another geocacher and the hold their smartphone's against (or close to) each other

…it can automatically launch a trackable page, and cachers can discover each other? Why bother with NFC, automatic logging, ...? A whole cache type...?

Edited by Hügh
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, Geoschatter said:

I have an idea for a new type of geocache, this cache is actually the geocacher himself.

Most geocachers still use a handheld gps for geocaching but more and more also use their smartphone for that,

Nowadays every smartphone has NFC "Near Field Communication" which could be used to log this new type of geocache.
So if a geocacher meets another geocacher and the hold their smartphone's against (or close to) each other, a "found it" is automatically logged via this NFC. This (automatic) log will then include the other geocacher's details.

As owner you can indicate which data of you will be in this log with the other geocacher.

There is of course already a "friends request" but I think this is at least little used, probably because no point can be earned with that, which is an extra motivation for some geocachers to geocaching.

Except for the NFC aspect, this sounds a lot like the Trackable Name Tags sold at the Groundspeak store.

15 hours ago, Geoschatter said:

Call me naive, but when I started caching almost a decade ago, it was all about getting outdoors and using GPS technology to find hidden caches in interesting places. Having a find count that incremented with each discovery was a consequence of caching, not a goal. Through participating in this activity, I've met other like-minded people, some of whom have become great friends, but those friendships aren't lessened in any way by not getting "points" for them.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 9/18/2022 at 3:14 AM, Geoschatter said:

On 9/18/2022 at 6:43 AM, niraD said:

Except for the NFC aspect, this sounds a lot like the Trackable Name Tags sold at the Groundspeak store.

On 9/18/2022 at 7:26 AM, Max and 99 said:

So we would get a Found It for meeting another geocacher? 

Isn't there a guideline that says for something to be a "geocache", there has to be GPS coordinates to locate the cache, or use of a GPS device to find waypoints on the way to the cache?  A geocacher moves, all over!  There would be no coordinates involved at all, so in my mind, that would disqualify it from being a geocache type.  And, as niraD pointed out, we already have personal trackable name tags, or other trackables that we can use to "Discover" other geocachers when we meet.  A "geocacher" as a cache type just doesn't make sense to me.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Isn't there a guideline that says for something to be a "geocache", there has to be GPS coordinates to locate the cache,

Yes indeed.

or use of a GPS device to find waypoints on the way to the cache?

Yes indeed.

A geocacher moves, all over!  There would be no coordinates involved at all, so in my mind, that would disqualify it from being a geocache type.

Yes indeed.

• Upvote 1

And, as niraD pointed out, we already have personal trackable name tags, or other trackables that we can use to "Discover" other geocachers when we meet.  A "geocacher" as a cache type just doesn't make sense to me.

Also, the NFC aspect of this proposal seems like a bug, rather than a feature. Tonight, Mrs niraD and I were at an event at a local restaurant. There were at least a couple dozen geocachers there, but we visited with only a few. I wouldn't want automatic logs of everyone who was there just because their devices were within NFC range of mine at some point.

• Upvote 1
On 9/18/2022 at 6:14 AM, Geoschatter said:

It likely cannot be set up as the Final container of a cache.  But it might be suitable as a puzzle stage, or actually part of the puzzle.  If it’s allowable that “a specific Geocacher” could be a stage, then at least that could work.  If not, the whole idea is void.  And if it is OK and a great idea, it’s also great as a cache stage.  Set it up and show everyone how awesome it is.  Maybe then it will catch on. :anicute:

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

It likely cannot be set up as the Final container of a cache.  But it might be suitable as a puzzle stage, or actually part of the puzzle.  If it’s allowable that “a specific Geocacher” could be a stage, then at least that could work.  If not, the whole idea is void.  And if it is OK and a great idea, it’s also great as a cache stage.  Set it up and show everyone how awesome it is.  Maybe then it will catch on. :anicute:

I think stages in Mysteries (and multis) are required to have static coordinates. Unless you put concrete around the cacher's feet, that's probably not going to work.

Cementshoes.jpg.ca3912a0b3577e8889b33e00db4dd675.jpg

• Funny 5
On 9/18/2022 at 8:14 PM, Geoschatter said:

People can already be trackables. Surely that's enough. You can log them already.

• Helpful 2
8 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I think stages in Mysteries (and multis) are required to have static coordinates. Unless you put concrete around the cacher's feet, that's probably not going to work.

Cementshoes.jpg.ca3912a0b3577e8889b33e00db4dd675.jpg

Yes, a moving item is more like a puzzle piece than a proper "stage".  There are caches with a movable element, such as a key attached to a Travel Bug that must be found to unlock the cache box.  I'd bet a cache could be placed today with that gimmick.  But even so, it's a "Mystery Cache", not a new cache type.  The OP's idea is suitable as a Trackable item, although I think it would be even less common than the key idea.

The main idea is actually to have an easy way to keep track of how many geocacher's you have already met, just like your profile keeps track of how many trades, multi's, etc. you have already found.
I don't think there is 1 geocacher who can say how many other geocacher's he/she has already met. Imagine you wouldn't know how many trades you have already found either, hence the idea of thinking of it as a cache, the number is so tracked in the Count on your profile.

It is indeed more like a TB and indeed there is also a "Trackable Name Tag" but how many geocacher's have one of those and do they always have it with them when they go geocaching and not only when they go to an event. Surely everyone carries a smartphone these days.

Logging itself of course only happens if the geocaching app. is active on your smartphone and if you press the "fount it" button as soon as another smartphone is nearby and the geocache app. is also active on it and its owner has also pressed the "fount it" button. So you both have to agree to log each other. May seem complex but is actually quite simple.
NFC only works up to a few cm distance and not like bluetooth which still works several meters away, so a log will not happen automatically if there are multiple geocacher's in the area as niraD assumes.

• Funny 3
4 hours ago, Geoschatter said:

The main idea is actually to have an easy way to keep track of how many geocacher's you have already met, just like your profile keeps track of how many trades, multi's, etc. you have already found.
 - It is indeed more like a TB and indeed there is also a "Trackable Name Tag" but how many geocacher's have one of those and do they always have it with them when they go geocaching and not only when they go to an event. Surely everyone carries a smartphone these days.
 - Logging itself of course only happens if the geocaching app. is active on your smartphone and if you press the "fount it" button as soon as another smartphone is nearby and the geocache app. is also active on it and its owner has also pressed the "fount it" button. So you both have to agree to log each other. May seem complex but is actually quite simple.

Maybe it's just me, but "how many" geocachers I met on the trail or events wasn't something I've even considered.

My experience with the "friends" feature, was when a lady from Europe asked if she could "be my friend" on a promotion. 

That went over well with the other 2/3rds...

My only "friend" in this hobby asked if we should finally delete each other.  We fish n hunt together.  Real friends...

I enjoy meeting people on trail (it shows me others walk a bit... ;), but I stopped logging most events we've been to because it was always the same people attending.  I meet them for breakfast/lunch without an event.  This (to me) seems to be about yet-another future stat...

We know dozens of people who carry a personal trackable.  There's hundreds that we see use someone else's trackable as well...

Some use them so when their kids get older, they have a record of each cache done with them, in case they want their own accounts. 

Others use them as a personal mileage tracker.  There used to be an automatic trackable logging function, but IIRC the "auto log" feature was removed because it became a pain in the can for a lot of TOs who only wanted Drop/Retrieve logs, and now see their trackable held captive.           

Some people would "visit" every cache found on every trackable in their inventory.  It had an on/off feature, but many folks left it on...

I've used my phone for caching only a handful of times, preferring a GPSr.  I'm uncomfortable enough with group logging, where one is signing for all in the group. Making the online logging process immediate for all, where I'd have to go home just to "edit" my log anyway seems redundant (to me).

Some may like it.  :)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Geoschatter said:

It is indeed more like a TB and indeed there is also a "Trackable Name Tag" but how many geocacher's have one of those and do they always have it with them when they go geocaching and not only when they go to an event. Surely everyone carries a smartphone these days.

But if few people have a TB for their person, wouldn’t it also be true that very few wish to create and submit a moving Geocache?  Might as well make that TB instead.  Plus I don’t like having to mess with my phone in the field.  That’s what the durable Garmin GPS is for.

Anyway, a moving Geocache is no longer allowed, and I’m guessing that a “new” kind of moving Geocache would not be created. Good luck! :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I would politely decline any request to rub my phone up against another cacher's phone to get a point.

I get points for finding geocaches, not geocachers.

If you want a way to track who you've met in the app, then suggest that. Don't mess with the fundamental basics of the hobby as a workaround: 

1. Using GPS tech, find a geocache.

2. Sign the geocache.

3. File a log online.

Anything else turns the hobby into the equivalent of a social media activity, and unfortunately enough people would love it enough that they would NEVER hunt geocaches, and the rest of us would be those quaint old dudes who still go outside. Didn't that USED to be part of geocaching, like, watching TV with commercials? OK, boomer.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2