jigsaw puzzle cache

bcducky

4 minutes ago, bcducky said:

How do I create a jigsaw puzzle cache?

Do you mean as an Attribute?

If that so, usually Multis, Mysteries and Letterbox may have a riddle to solve in one of the stages, then we shoud assign a "Field Puzzle" Attribute.

If you want a jigsaw puzzle for your Mystery cache page, there are some available online.

14 minutes ago, bcducky said:

Like how to get the coordinates to show up after the puzzle is solved.

In the image you will create to generate the jigsaw, just add the digits randomly (on plain view, camouflaged or using other methods), so anyone can only see them after the jigsaw solved...

By instance... 

Titulo.jpg

Edited by RuideAlmeida
4 hours ago, bcducky said:

how to get the correct coordinates to show up?

When you create your puzzle (using an account on jigidi.com), you add a "completion message" - an extra step that shows the correct coordinates once the puzzle is completed.  Watch the video and read the help guide for adding a completion message to your puzzle.   Go to jigidi.com, create an account, create a puzzle, and follow the guides to adding a completion message.

From the help article:

Puzzles with completion messages

This article's mentioned topics are essential if getting your puzzle's completion message is the primary objective for others to solve the puzzle.

It is important to consider the solving experience you offer your fellow puzzlers. Challenging them to solve a puzzle with very many pieces and few details to get the final message will likely give them a sense of being punished.

As a rule of thumb, jigsaw puzzles that primarily bring a completion message to the table should stay below 150 pieces. This is manageable for most people. For puzzles with more pieces, keep in mind that the enjoyment of solving jigsaw puzzles is essential on Jigidi.

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
22 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

As a rule of thumb, jigsaw puzzles that primarily bring a completion message to the table should stay below 150 pieces.

And consider the time taken for the cacher to do the jigsaw when you apply a D rating..... If they need to spend a couple of hours messing around with a jigsaw, don't further punish them with a D1.5..... :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
3 hours ago, lee737 said:

And consider the time taken for the cacher to do the jigsaw when you apply a D rating..... If they need to spend a couple of hours messing around with a jigsaw, don't further punish them with a D1.5..... :)

That rating is for 15 piece (or less) jigsaws, not 580 piece jigsaws of an indistinct black and white photograph (last one I did). Fortunately it was rated 4D. Comments for it, such as, "That was a difficult puzzle to solve on a phone screen. But I succeeded over a few days." I also succeeded, but on a computer screen, after a few hours.

image.thumb.png.6b22354aaf7f3fc495b37116c4253117.png

• Surprised 1

I like jigsaw caches, and there are quite a large number of them in the region to where I am. Some creators even do nested jigsaws, where one solves multiple jigsaws to achieve different stages of the solution.

You can even make the jigsaw puzzle just a stage of a larger mystery cache which is based on other things.  (That's what I did: GC9QA6T .)

I guess my only advice would be to choose the image wisely, and try out a few different puzzle sizes, before finalizing what size you want and linking it to the actual cache page.

You can solve jigidi puzzles without logging in, so you can do that unlogged solving as a testing method for your own puzzle.

Getting the link to work properly on your cache page can be a bit tricky, but the cache creation page allows one to toggle between showing codes or not, so that might prove useful.

Always check that it works before submitting for final approval and make sure your reviewer knows what info the puzzle completion message will contain.

On 11/7/2022 at 4:28 AM, funkymunkyzone said:

Just be aware there is a facebook group that arrogantly sets out to spoil all jigidi based puzzles.

The owner of the group is adamant that what they are doing is righteous and holy, but hides behind a fake profile - go figure.

What justification do they give? Some sort of thing about cache purity?

Or do you mean a group of non-cachers trying to spoil jigidi itself?

(I'm not on FB so I cannot look it up.)

On 12/28/2022 at 9:46 AM, mysterion604 said:

What justification do they give? Some sort of thing about cache purity?

Or do you mean a group of non-cachers trying to spoil jigidi itself?

(I'm not on FB so I cannot look it up.)

Caching purity, every cache should be findable by everyone, people who make hard puzzles are evil and should be punished by having their puzzles spoilt, etc etc etc.  The kind of stuff you'd expect from a petulent 3 year old.

Edited by funkymunkyzone
  • Upvote 4