Smart Phone 2022 Sept

McBeer

I am giving in and buying my first smart phone and need guidance as to what to get.

#1. cheap, cheap, cheap.

#2 Android and use with Verizon.

#3 GPSr accuracy is important.

I want to do Werigo and similar smart phone only caches but will continue to use my dedicated GPSr unit. I make only a few calls/texts a week don't plan many apps beyond Geocaching.

A bonus is preloading pocket queries and GSAK.

• Funny 1

Well since it was mentioned...  I'm on my second Blackview phone, and I'm very happy with it.  Was happy with the first too, which why I bought another eventually.  They're built like a tank (shockproof, waterproof), with a huge battery good enough for two full caching days.  AliExpress is the place to buy them.  (Or just search AliExpress for "rugged android".)

My current model* gets 25+ satellites on a good day, from 4 different GNSS systems.  * BV9900 Pro, but the lineup keeps changing.

I seem to remember an asterisk about Verizon in particular; be very careful that the phone you buy works with that network.  (All these phones from China are unlocked, BTW, work on virtually all modern cell frequency bands, and many are dual-SIM.)

Locus Map is a great app for caching; comes in free/silver/gold versions.  Works very well offline, bringing your data bill down to nothing.  It loads PQs directly, also loads GPX files that GSAK spits out, should you need GSAK (which of course doesn't run on Android).  I've stopped needing GSAK.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
On 9/17/2022 at 12:50 PM, McBeer said:

I am giving in and buying my first smart phone and need guidance as to what to get.

#1. cheap, cheap, cheap.

#2 Android and use with Verizon.

#3 GPSr accuracy is important.

I want to do Werigo and similar smart phone only caches but will continue to use my dedicated GPSr unit.

I've been happy with my Nokia 6.1. When it's time to upgrade it, I'll probably get another Nokia. They have Android smartphones at various price points, but they're all designed with value and future Android upgrades/updates in mind.

I make only a few calls/texts a week don't plan many apps beyond Geocaching.

That depends on your service plan. I've been happy with Metro on their lowest level plan. My wife uses TracFone, and each year, when she buys another 365 days of service, she gets more minutes of call time and GB of data than she uses in a year. I have no idea what Verizon's plans look like now.

A bonus is preloading pocket queries and GSAK.

That depends on the app you use. Even Groundspeak's app can preload PQs, although other apps have made that easier. But the API-based apps that I used to use were no longer being maintained, and Groundspeak changed the API in ways that were not backwards compatible, so those apps stopped working. One of these days, I'll find another API-based app that that I like, but for now I've be getting by with Groundspeak's app.

Edited by niraD
2 hours ago, niraD said:

One of these days, I'll find another API-based app that that I like, but for now I've be getting by with Groundspeak's app.

I, too, mainly use the Groundspeak app. But I also have GCDroid and Geooh Go installed. Both are good alternate options. Geooh Go has a built-in Wherigo player which I find is better than the standalone WhereUgo app.

• Helpful 1

No such thing as cheap in 2022 especially in terms of smartphones.

Android unlocked phones from Amazon or from China sites like Aliexpress are your best choice if you want the least expensive. Buying an old Android Tablet might be also a good option. I don't think anyone has done any reviews on actual GPS accuracy when it comes to smartphones. Eventually though, you won't be able to update to the latest Google maps because it won't support older system software. All this comes down to price. 

Additionally, you need to know  the LTE and 5G bands the phone you buy uses. You might end up on 3G or no data connectivity instead, lol. 

3 minutes ago, Newb888 said:

Eventually though, you won't be able to update to the latest Google maps because it won't support older system software.

One of the reasons I like Nokia phones is that they're designed to receive Android upgrades for years, and then to receive security updates after that. Even their least expensive phones come with years of Android upgrades.

But yes, except for a phone that I accidentally smashed :o on a concrete surface, all the phones that I have replaced were older phones that no longer received OS updates, and therefore no longer received app updates. Even if the older versions of the apps still run, they often stop working because they can no longer communicate with the servers. (The idea of maintaining backwards compatibility has fallen out of fashion.)