Premium?

Fdusn

I'd say it depends. Looks like you found some caches in 2011. Using a handheld gps unit (?).  If you're still caching with gps, and able to use the website and load caches to it, then you might want to continue doing that for a while, before going premium.  See how long your 7 year old stays interested, or how long you stay interested ;-)

Conversely, if you started up again with smartphone and the free Geocaching.com app, it's got  limitations.  There used to be an option to pay $10 for short term (1-3 months?) premium in the app. I don't know if it still exists. 

It is possible to use that app, + the website and do a lot of cache finding.  Explain how is more than I'm going to fool with here.

Premium will show you all caches, and tremendously better search options, so you can be hunting caches that are more apt to be fun. learning curve on using them, but being able to use them is sweet.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Fdusn said:

Just started this with my 7 yo son!  Was trying to research if premium is with it for us? I tried to search for a code or discount online to try the premium out but can’t find one?  Besides better finds or more finds is it worth it? Thanks 

We simply wanted notifications so the other 2/3rds could become a FTF monster, so worth it "for you" is only known by you.

I don't use much more than that now, but continue PM to help cover basic members.

You used to be able to request a temp PM by contacting the Help Center .    I've done it that way since starting...   Not sure it's still a thing...

IIRC, it's only good for a week, so be sure you're ready to play.    ;)

It looks like you found caches before, maybe with a handheld GPSr.  Curious why the name change here, thanks.

You could enter caches manually with no restrictions other than PMO caches, just by using the website, and simply using a small notepad for hints n stuff.   I've done it that way since starting... 

Keeping a 7yr old interested (I feel) requires small or regular size caches, with the possibility of "kid stuff" inside.  Be sure to trade...

Good luck.  :)

Edited by cerberus1
  • Helpful 2
20 hours ago, Fdusn said:

Just started this with my 7 yo son!  Was trying to research if premium is with it for us? I tried to search for a code or discount online to try the premium out but can’t find one?  Besides better finds or more finds is it worth it? Thanks 

The advantages to a premium membership are not so much in the caches, as in the features available.  I

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 9/14/2022 at 4:50 PM, NanCycle said:

The advantages to a premium membership are not so much in the caches, as in the features available.  I

Premium membership is a requirement for geocachers to access to all basic member level caches using the app, when at the same time basic members have access to all basic member level caches using the website.  The app limits basic members to half the caches they can access using the website, forcing them to become premium members to see those basic level caches via the app.

I just published a video explaining to basic member app users how to use the website from their phones to get access to all basic member geocaches. 

--> https://youtu.be/92bszykv0P8

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1