Specify duration of an Adventure Lab

SNACN

5 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I just put something in the description.  It will be more accurate than the calculation.

I definitely like the idea of putting a time estimate in the description, especially when it's longer *or shorter* than the norm, but I don't think it will be more accurate than the calculation. That's not a big deal, though, because the owner's idea of how long it should take it at least as important as how long it typically does take.

5 hours ago, dprovan said:

I definitely like the idea of putting a time estimate in the description, especially when it's longer *or shorter* than the norm, but I don't think it will be more accurate than the calculation. That's not a big deal, though, because the owner's idea of how long it should take it at least as important as how long it typically does take.

The calculation is nonsense.  I takes the average amount of time from logging the first in the series to logging the last.  It takes no account of the fact that the finders may have stopped off for coffee, taken a lunch break, been doing multiple labs at the same time or any other factor.  The ALO's time gives a much better idea for the user.  Two of my examples

The walk from one end to the other takes about 15 minutes without stopping, so allow an hour or so to answer the questions and admire views at various locations en route. 

You can probably drive the whole adventure in an hour, but why not take a morning, afternoon or day to explore the area and enjoy the views and beaches you visit.

4 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

The calculation is nonsense.  I takes the average amount of time from logging the first in the series to logging the last.  It takes no account of the fact that the finders may have stopped off for coffee, taken a lunch break, been doing multiple labs at the same time or any other factor.  The ALO's time gives a much better idea for the user.

It actually takes the median, not the average. So, it looks at all of the completion times for all users, sees the point where half of them take longer and half of them take less, and uses that.

What I would find a lot more helpful would be a scale on the map, so I can then judge for myself how long it's likely to take and whether I should be doing it on foot, by bike or in my car. I don't understand why there's so much resistance to putting scales on maps now, other than being yet another example of form taking precedence over function.

• Upvote 5
58 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

It actually takes the median, not the average. So, it looks at all of the completion times for all users, sees the point where half of them take longer and half of them take less, and uses that.

Assume that the AL is in a town somewhere and the 5 stops are along the high street, looking at interesting features.  The actual AL might take 15 minutes if all you do is look at the features and answer the questions.  On the other hand, it might take up to 2 hours if you do some window-shopping, find a traditional or two, stop for coffee and/or lunch.  After the first few visitors, we might have approximate times of 15 minutes x 2 (rushing - trying to get FTF on the bonus), 30 minutes x 1 (they had a coffee break), 60 minutes x 1 (they stopped off at the supermarket to grab some groceries), 75 minutes x 1 (had coffee and found a couple of traditionals), 90 minutes x 2 ( a couple with separate accounts who stopped for lunch), 4 days x 1 (they did part of the AL on the way through and the rest on the way back).

Certainly the median (between 60 and 75 minutes) is better than the average, but it is still 4 times the actual time necessary.  If I'm looking for somewhere to stop for lunch and see an AL in the next town, I won't bother with it if it is going to take over an hour more than my lunch break, but would do it if I knew it was really 15 minutes.

Edited by Gill & Tony
12 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Assume that the AL is in a town somewhere and the 5 stops are along the high street, looking at interesting features.  The actual AL might take 15 minutes if all you do is look at the features and answer the questions.  On the other hand, it might take up to 2 hours if you do some window-shopping, find a traditional or two, stop for coffee and/or lunch. 

My latest AL on Dangar Island, that went live two weeks ago, has so far only had one completion so it doesn't have a duration rating yet, but I saw on one of the local FB groups that a bunch of cachers from Newcastle will be coming down next week to do it as well as have lunch at the island's cafe. If they decide to do the AL in one hit, either before or after lunch, it will give a very different result to them stopping for lunch part way through (which is what the FTF did). It may well end up with a 120+ minutes rating which is a bit ridiculous for an island that's less than a kilometre across.

image.png.f1b3ff83a6740e546a104d1b41cc2006.png

21 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

It may well end up with a 120+ minutes rating which is a bit ridiculous for an island that's less than a kilometre across.

Yes. That's why it's way smarter to give the track's length instead of a useless timeframe.

"The track is 2.5 km by feet" is pretty distinct for everyone.

Hans

Edited by HHL
On 9/13/2022 at 4:47 AM, Max and 99 said:
On 9/13/2022 at 1:40 AM, SNACN said:

Hi, I can't find the right spot to specify the duration of the Lab I just created. Any help??

That is auto created after 5 people have completed your adventure lab. However you are welcome to add the duration estimate yourself to the description. 

I have added time and distance factors into my description :
This Adventure will take you on a leisurely drive around the Suisun and Green Valley area, and can be done in an hour or less by car (about a 10 mile loop). You will not have to enter any tasting rooms, though you are welcome to do so if they are open when you visit... Be advised that this Adventure will take you much longer than an hour if you do decide to sample the wines!

The automatically added time to complete is 46-60 minutes, so that seems pretty accurate,as well.

The time to complete the AL is automatically calculated after five people have completed it. So why does this AL not show a time? Five people have reviewed it and nine people have rated it.

Edit: I just realized that the most recent review was almost 3 years ago, way before the completion time feature was released. 

Screenshot_20230723-010602.png

Edited by Max and 99