cache count

Fah-Troop

1 hour ago, Fah-Troop said:

Is there anything to be done when my cache count jumps and extra 5?  I was at 5000 before this weekend but after doing 4 caches this weekend I'm at 5009.  

Did you complete a five location adventure lab? Then that would explain the jump in five finds. If you don't want those 5 finds go to the help center and follow the instructions to delete them.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=144&pgid=510

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 4
34 minutes ago, Mermaid.Man said:

I treat an AL as zero caches, so I use a separate account when I play them. Works for me. 

I also do the same. Most ALs around here have bonus caches so that's enough to count as a cache. It'd be nice, though, if they had a setting where you could choose whether to have one smiley per location, one per complete Adventure or none at all, instead of having to go in and manually delete them each time.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Mermaid.Man said:

I treat an AL as zero caches, so I use a separate account when I play them. Works for me. 

I treat an AL as zero caches, and have just ignored them (the same way I ignore the QR code game and the "gotta catch 'em all" game). But that's a good idea. I might consider creating a separate account for ALs though.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I treat an adventure as a series of virtual caches and count them all.  Most of the ones I have done have taken me to interesting places, which is one of the reasons I cache.

To me, most of the ALs I've done have felt closest to a multi with virtual waypoints, the bonus cache then being the equivalent of the multi's final. The virtuals I've done have generally been more involved than just answering a single question (or one-in-four guessing a multi-choice question) and involve writing a log as well, often with a photo requirement. Many of those virtuals have multiple stages but are still only one smiley. I'm not saying one way is right and one way is wrong, but it would be nice to have a setting where you can pick which way suits you best.

13 hours ago, Mermaid.Man said:

Cool idea.      :)   Similar to niraD, I simply don't think about them.  I don't think about challenge caches and PMO as well.

There's still enough caches in unique areas, lengthy walks, and awesome views, that I skip nondescript "just because I can fit one there" placements too. 

For me, they're good for a last-minute souvenir so I can get back to something else, and that's about it.