What motivates you to Geocache?

Yellowcode3

Greetings Geocachers,

In another forum the topic of motivation has come up. I am curious. What motivates you to geocache?

Let us know, with a bit of an explanation, what motivates you to participate in this hobby.

Some of the reasons commonly cited include, in no ranked order:

1. It gets me outside

2. I learned to use my GPS this way

3. I like to exercise

4. I like the hunt

5. I like to be a first finder (competition)

6. I like to have more finds than others competition)

7. I like the mind work of a more challenging cache (map work, route planning, navigational skills problems)

8. I like to trade items

9. I like to do this alone

10. I like to do this with friends or family as a way of bonding

11. I like the adventure of a rural/wilderness hunt.

12. I use it to meet people

13. I use it to boost my ego or feel important

14. I like to write entertaining cache logs

15. I like to visit the places that I would otherwise never get to

16. I like the views/sites I am taken to.

17. I like big ticket items, prizes, money, etc. in the cache.

18. I am a compulsive people by nature and I just can't stop! Help! (there is soon to be a Cachers Annonymous Program here in Victoria. It is a 12 metre program, with a deviation of plus or minus 6 metres, except when 1 or more satellites are down....)

By the way, a huge number of these are not reasons why I Geocache. I throw them out for discussion.

What are your reasons, today, tomorrow? This may help people figure out why they do what they do.

cheers,

Yellow

Code

With the exception of # 5 and 6, everything on the list could apply for me, albeit NOT equally.

As for my top THREE reasons as of TODAY:

12, 14 and 17

When the type of caches that encourage such endeavours dwindle, I will fall back onto the mainstay reasons:

11, 15 and 16

Funny thing is, I get to do all 6 at once right now!

canadazuuk

We as a family enjoy caching and not for any monitary rewards only for the shear enjoyment of the outdoors oh I think that is #15. My husband was the one that started in with Geo caching and our two girls and I just began to follow him on these outdoor adventures oh I think that is #10. Unfortunately we have seen the tone and enjoyment of the sport take a turn to the competitive end of things #17, that is where we don't fit in. Anyway for all of you cache-a- holics, lets not turn a fun sport into a sport were people are going to turn against one another. Money just isn't worth the hardships. Also remember one step at a time and keep coming back it works.

*We are teaching our Zoe dog to sniff out Tupperware...*

10, 4, 15 and 1.

Now, in the case of my 13 year old son, I'm guessing that it would probably be (in no particular order):

17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8, 17, 8,...

icon_wink.gif

ontario1.gif

What motivates me to geocache? It changes from day to day and from cache to cache. But here are some of the biggies:

- it gets me outdoors to all kinds of interesting places. I never needed a reason to get out before, but I find I'm going out a lot more now that I've got something else to do while I'm out there

- I like the technological side of this sport

- I have met some really great people who share my passion for the outdoors

- hunting and gathering is a guy thing, we like it

Is it about the money, NO. If you were to check with all 12 people who were part of the last big hunt, I can pretty much guarantee that not one of them will tell you it was about the money or the prizes.

In fact with all the time, effort and $ that goes into going after these big caches I am sure that very few people are making money.

This is a game, we play for fun and the thrill of the chase. Until you've been part of one of these caches you can't know how fun they are. Standing on top of a mountain at midnight in a howling snowstorm with 11 other people who were on the same page, priceless.

Is the money nice, sure. It helps me to buy more toys so I can cache more - it's also allowing me to buy things to put in my soon to be placed caches.

I share the same sentiment as curious. Has anyone seen 12 people all working together on top of a mountain in a snow storm at midnight looking for a cache. There is so much more than money at stake here. The thrill of getting all the tags and doing all the driving with an end result like watchers was phenomenal. We must remember no one person owns this game, we make it the way we want it, just because someone wants to make it more interesting for some doesn't change anything. It's still geocaching. Traditional caching will never die. We all have our own reasons for geocaching and their are no wrong reasons are there? This may not answer your question yellow code, and no offense I just needed to vent.

Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose, but there will always be another cache.

I cache for ONE REASON ONLY. More finds then JJ

That guy can't find the newspaper at his door.

Seriously because its KEWL and its fun!

First finds…..good

Unique hides….good

Views…….good

That park you had no idea about…..good

Being a tech-geek…..good

Meeting other tech-geeks…..good

Cash….hmmm…..good.

Cash = gear = more cache.

Dagg

I recently discovered that my biggest motivator might be #14, but slightly modified: I like to write long-winded pompous cache logs! With my own caches, however, I do strive to be entertaining. So you could add another motivator to the list: The "creative outlet" aspect of creating caches that others will enjoy, and the satisfaction from feedback (which of course is tied closely to the ego factor already on the list).

Another to add to the list: Get kids away from the tv and video games by making hiking more appealing to them. The reason I started geocaching was that my children reached an age when they were militantly refusing to go hiking with mom anymore, and geocaching seemed a good way to get them out. One of the boys is motivated by the loot, the other quite likes getting on the computer (oops) to log and read.’

Ahoy JJ. Start in Esquimalt. There need to be many, many caches in Esquimalt. There is lots of room there. Nuff said.

So, why do you Geocache?

Personally, I love to get out and explore new places. I have been amazed at what I can do, what I have seen, and the cool pictures I have taken as a result.

The hunt started off as slightly difficult. The GPS was an odd beast to master, but soon I was learning it front and back. A mind game, of sorts.

Later, it became a chance explore new places. I have been to more pars on the island than I knew existed.

During the early fall it became another mind game. How the heck do you solve a problem like these? It was back to the mind.

All in all, I have had more adventures as a result of this activity than any other in life. I have participated in some wild outdoor activities since childhood and this ranks at the top of my list.

It is clean, inexpensive, fun, takes me on adventures, gets me exercising, and has allowed me to meet more wacky people like and not so like me.

I will carry on with this activity. When someone posts a cache I love to figure out how to get there and wonder what the adventure will be like.

My mind will be working on how to set some interesting and mind bending caches. These will not necessarily be in the vein of KFWB caches.

In short, I have many and varied reasons for participating in this activity. It is still fun, and for that reason I will continue in it.

Now, where to set the next cache?

What motivates me?...

1. The weather. I check Environment Canada's weather site frequently to see if the weather will be good on the weekend or holidays or my vacation days. A clear day (no blizzards or storms) and weather above -5C gets me motivated.

2. A new nearby cache, within 50kms in an area I'm familiar with. Caches that are farther away in unfamiliar territory takes more planning.

3. A cache with good feedback in the logs.

R of J.A.R.S.

---------------

I can't lie around and be lazy. I am a Thing-Finder, and when you're a Thing-Finder you don't have a minute to spare...The whole world is full of things, and somebody has to look for them.

-Pippi Longstocking

What motivates me? Being with my husband when I would otherwise be at home alone. Getting my kids out of the house while I still have time to shape their lives (they're still young). Having my own gpsr, thanks to Team K icon_wink.gif (mixed feelings about this - I really should stick to my convictions & donate it to someone who needs it - but the things are so dadgum addicting!). Reading cache logs and trying to be clever with my own. Connecting with people from everywhere through this unbelievable medium of the web.

Here's my top 10 reasons why I cache:

1) Nothing better to do in life.

2) The excitement of the hunt.

3) The puzzle solving exciting of figuring out where the cache is hidden and then the actual satisfaction in find it.

4) To find 100 caches in 100 days.

5) To do something worthwhile with my 5 year old son.

6) To teach my son new things.

7) To get out of the house (because I work form home).

8) To go to places I normally never would have gone to or even knew existed.

9) To meet an alien while caching (ok, now I am being silly, but I couldn't think of anything else, but you gotta admit, it would be really cool to finally meet an alien.

10) Nothing better to do in life.

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

Why do i geocache......hmmmmm good question?

Im an outdoors person to begin with. Between myself and my best friend we own 3 dogs. We were always out hiking anyways to take them on walks. Thanks to the sport or game of geocaching it has led us to many new and exciting areas that we would have never discovered on our own. So to me the greatest part is discovering new places to spend our down time. Ok Ok ..... travel bugs are fun as well [icon_smile.gif]. So far we have met 2 fellow cachers on our travels. We are also enjoying the online friendships and rivalries that seem to be devloping. Lets face it a little competition is fun. Logging a first to beat the veterans in your local area just seems to get the blood pumping( * points at BBoG and Decocoppler [icon_smile.gif]* As far as the money goes......yes i seem to be spending a fortune on gas lately.....is that what you ment?

Hope to meet you on the trails.......after I logged that first and meet you on the way out ...hehe

1. It gets me outside

2. I learned to use my GPS this way

3. I like to exercise

4. I like the hunt

5. I like to be a first finder (competition)

6. I like to have more finds than others competition)

7. I like the mind work of a more challenging cache (map work, route planning, navigational skills problems)

8. I like to trade items

10. I like to do this with friends or family as a way of bonding

11. I like the adventure of a rural/wilderness hunt.

12. I use it to meet people

13. I use it to boost my ego or feel important

14. I like to write entertaining cache logs

15. I like to visit the places that I would otherwise never get to

16. I like the views/sites I am taken to.

18. I am a compulsive people by nature and I just can't stop! Help!

Travois

again, I changed my mind again

I changed my mind again

I changed my mind again

I changed my mind again

I changed my mind again

I changed my mind again

I changed my mind again

I changed my mind again

I changed my mind again

it's all about the hides

[This message was edited by canadazuuk on March 04, 2003 at 11:27 PM.]