Fire along the North Saskatchewan

TeamRB&R

Success! You have emailed the user with the following message:

That sucks indeed. Reading the past logs (and never having visitied this site) it indeed sounds difficult. The terrain difficulty was marked as being very high, and fair warning was given in the description.

I'm not sure that it warrants being closed for that reason, although I did post your log entry to the forums here to see what others think.

In any event, it will make others be more wary about the warning given and to use caution when doing the cache.

Rest up, and get well soon.

Ranger Bob

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL MESSAGE FROM GEOCACHING.COM

Replying to this message will not send a message to the user. Email contact@geocaching.com with any questions

---------------------------------------------------

StAlbert4 has logged a cache on your watch list (Fire along the North Saskatchewan). You can visit the cache at the following link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6937

User comments:

This note is a warning.

I strongly suggest not visiting this cache. The team (the family) visited it last Sunday (June 1). The top of the wash has garbage dumped into it during the winter. We decided to bushwack around it through thick bush. When we reached a point where we could access the wash (30-40 metres from cache), the wash was in poor shape, so I suggested that the rest of family stay there while I went the rest of the way. It was tough going. I got to the point where I could see the cache.

At that point, I don't know if I tripped or a piece of the embankment gave way beneath me. I fell 4 feet onto the ledge that the cache was. Result was I broke my right ankle in 3 places.

Long story short - I called 911, sent my family up to meet the rescue vehicles. They had to use a search & rescue team to get me out. A Zodiac ride on the North Saskatchewan River was the only way out. Took approx. 2 hours.

On Monday night, I was operated on to have screws & plates put in my ankle. Out of action for min. 6 - 8 weeks, with long road of physio ahead. No geocaching this summer.

I am going to ask the cache owner to consider archiving this site. The Devon Fire Chief was not impressed on where we where or where he had to send his people.

Irony, where I landed was less 10 feet away from the cache, but I had lost all joy to uncover it.

This will take you to the cache page. If you would like to modify your cache list, please visit www.geocaching.com.

Cheers,

Geocaching.com Team

I could ask you the same thing? 8^)

I was merely pointing out this ""tragic"" log entry to others to get their (actual) thoughts on it. I personally don't think the cache should be archived. It's sad when these things happen but the cache was rated at a high difficulty.

RB

quote:

I was merely pointing out this ""tragic"" log entry to others to get their (actual) thoughts on it. I personally don't think the cache should be archived. It's sad when these things happen but the cache was rated at a high difficulty.

I agree. I've done this one and while the terrain is steep it's no worse than many others. My sympathies go out to TSA4.

PDOP's GPS Pages