Garmin maps for Edmonton

RobertM

Hi,

I have the Garmin Canada software but the only maps for Edmonton are the enhanced base maps and no roads and recreation maps. Is there perhaps a newer version out that includes the R&R maps for this area?

I live in Vancouver and the maps available for this area are really great.

Rob

Rob I have City Select on my Garmin GPS V. It is excellent for my area and I know coverage for Vancouver and Victoria is as well. Calgary has complete city street detail, Regina and Winnipeg show only major routes or highways, Saskatoon and Edmonton are totally non-existent. I do not have any experience with any of the other Mapsource sets but I wouldn't be surprised if they were just as lacking.

I guess thats the price we have to pay for living in such a large country with so few people as compared to our neighbors to the south.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

Rob

If you are talking about Edmonton and surrounding area I recently found out that if you leave the cd in the drive when you are running mapsource you can get a whole lot more detail. For months now I have been running it from the program and files loaded onto my 'puter and I wasn't very impressed because there were no (or few) range roads etc. Not long ago my friend was over and we were talking about this lack of detail and he showed me that I was missing most of it.

Unfortunately you cannot load it all onto your computer - need the disk in the drive.

If you are doing this and still not happy with the detail then you are SOL because that is all you get.

Troll

TrollGRG

Hi,

Thanks for all the info. It would seem nothing is available for Edmonton except the enhanced basemaps which only really have main routes and not ALL the streets.

Yip, I somehow always run the software with the CD in. I actually forgot the CD in after installing the software and discovered it didn't work that well when I had some other CD in the drive. I'll try copying the contents to the HD as that'll free up the CD drive. I have a normal read and RW drive but the CD can't hog a drive continuously.

Robert

I too live in Edmonton and would love some better coverage on my GPS V. Right now, the V has residential level coverage for Calgary but not so much for Edmonton.

I sent an email to Garmin a short while ago lavishing praise on the job they did with Calgary and Toronto etc. and asked when the rest of Canada, including Edmonton was coming.

Garmin is trying to work with a new information provider to boost the coverage of Canada and might have something ready by next year. Of course this is not official, they can't say that. But...the said the same thing about Calgary and sure enough, the coverage was there.

So...we Edmontonians may just need to hang tough for a while. It sounds promising.