Plundered!

BeDoggy

I just returned from retrieving one of the first caches I placed. It had been almost completely plundered. (Of course, the brain dead trogs left only the books that were in the cache. Several empty budweiser cans lying around the cache location, too.) I like the park where it was placed, but am not sure if I want to replace the cache there. What would you do? icon_mad.gif

[This message was edited by BeDoggy on July 01, 2003 at 06:43 AM.]

My suggestion is to find a new place to put your cache. I'm new to this hobby and am putting together my own cache.

My opinion is that mico-caches are more practicle in a urban environment. If you want to use something larger, then you really have to find some secluded area off the beaten trail.

Never, never, never do a simple replacement. Same location. Same local yahoos looking to steal your tupperware.

Archive your cache then find another location in the same park/forest and hide a new one. Watch out for telltale signs of local yahoo wildlife and avoid these areas like the plague.

TrimblesTrek

This has happened to two of my caches. I re-placed the caches in slightly different areas (better hiding spots!) and everything has been fine since. Its a bit of a drag for people who have the old coordinates and go looking though - but I've learned to always print of the cache page before heading out - fresh from the GC site.

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

If you like the area, and feel so inclined, hide a new cache in the vicinity, but in a different spot... which cache was it BTW?

It was called "Starcache" You were the FTF, remember? Actually, the original hiding place had become grown in with brambles, so I moved it and changed the puzzle a bit. Less than 24 hours later it was reported as plundered. The place where I rehid it looked good. It was out of the way at the far end of the park and was fairly well concealed. All the plunderers left were some astronomy books. They must have plundered the cache just before the geocachers arrived, as it had been pouring rain all day, the books had been thrown around onto the open grass yet they were still dry. The cachers who found what was left and packed it all up , rehid it ,then e-mailed me. I should thank the geocachers that go by the name, "kardian questers" T

Ask not for whom the cache waits....It waits for thee.

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

If you like the area, and feel so inclined, hide a new cache in the vicinity, but in a different spot... which cache was it BTW?

It was called "Starcache" I believe you were the FTF. At least some geocachers by the name of "Kardian Questers" packed up and saved what was left. The two astronomy books left behind by the looters were the most valuable to me, so it wasn't a complete loss. I'll put a new cache there soon.

Ask not for whom the cache waits....It waits for thee.

Hey It happened to me too..As soon as the place thawed in the spring my cache was gone!....I might place one deeper in the park.

Or I'll just make a new one and make a 2 stage micro cache so that it's harder to be found.

But if you get ehe chance..MAKE"EM PAY!!!

MN12