Hey, I found a benchmark!

Couparangus

Seeing as this thread has taken a serious turn for the loonie bin, I figured that it would be useful if someone other than the topic starter posted a comment. So, C-A why don't you share those pictures with us. Or should we prep the padded room for occupancy?

Bullzie

You can find them at:

http://www.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/index_e/products_e/passiveNetworks_e/trad_e/trad_e.html

You need to apply for an id/password but it's free and comes instantly. Takes a bit of poking around to get what you're looking for but if you persist you can get lists of all benchmarks in your area plus details on each of them The details make interesting reading and some are pretty old - over 100 years. From a thread posted by Jeremy somewhere else, one of these days we'll be able to log them on the site. Meanwhile I'm starting to build up a collection as there are a lot more benchmarks round here than there are caches by a factor of about 100:1 icon_biggrin.gif

I think I screwed up the BM name. Anyway, once you get onto the site this is the kind of information you can pull down. Here it is for the one I found (lots of geodesy information for those so inclined) Note use of NAD83 instead of the WGS84 we all know and love icon_smile.gif :

SITE IDENTIFICATION

Unique Number : 75D8059

Name : 758059

Established By : Ont. Ministry Of Transportation And Communications (Lands, S

Province : ON

Prov. Identifier : None

NTS Map No : 030M13

STATION COORDINATES

Horizontal Datum : NAD83

Method : Values should be checked with provincial agency

Latitude : N43° 53' 13.57405"

Longitude : W79° 44' 57.35811"

Agency : Geodetic Survey Division - Nrcan

Adjustment Net : MA90703

UTM : Zone = 17 N = 4860094.089 m E = 600466.746 m

VERTICAL DATA

Vertical Datum : CGVD28

Elevation : 262.724 m

Order : Consult Agency (Unique Condition)

Method : Differential

Adjustment Line : VA117D

Published Year : 1975

Inspected in : 1988

Inspection Comments : No inspection text on file

Accessible by passenger car or light truck and a walk of less than 50 m

MKR TYPE D SETTING CODE 05

STEEL ROD WITH BRASS CAP B.M. ON W SIDE OF HWY #50, 1.2 KM N OF JCT OF HWY #50 AND KING ST IN THE TOWN OF CALEDON (BOLTON). LOC 8 M S OF ALBION SIDE RD #10, 40 M W OF C/L OF HWY #50 AND 21.8 M W OF HWY RIGHT-OF-WAY FENCE. STA IS SET 52 CM S OF WIRE FENCE AND IS REF BY A MKR POST SET 52 CM S OF STA. AN ORANGE CYL WITNESS SIGN WAS SET 0.48 M AWAY AT A MAG BRG OF 145 DEG TO THE STA.

HISTORICAL COORDINATES NOTE: Coordinates listed below are no longer maintained by GSD and should be verified with your provincial agency before use.

Horizontal Datum : NAD83

Method : Global Positioning System

Latitude : N43° 53' 13.57405"

Longitude : W79° 44' 57.35811"

UTM : Zone = 17 N = 4860094.089 m E = 600466.746 m