Wrong attended date for GPS Maze

funkymunkyzone

I don't know if there is already a thread on this, apologies if there is.

For some reason when I log the GPS Maze from the recent Abbotsford Giga, my log comes up with the wrong date.  It seems lots of people get the correct date 13 Aug, and lots of people get the incorrect date 12 Aug.  I'm one of the unlucky ones.

I've tried changing my home location to the US side of the dateline.  I've tried changing my GC profile timezone to US Pacific time.  Nothing works.

Why can't I (and many others) log this on the correct day???

A note on the GPS Maze cache page suggests that we have to edit our logs in cachly to the correct date.  Cachly doesn't run on my android phone so that's not an option.  And seriously, Geocaching HQ, that CANNOT be the solution!

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I don't know if there is already a thread on this, apologies if there is.

For some reason when I log the GPS Maze from the recent Abbotsford Giga, my log comes up with the wrong date.  It seems lots of people get the correct date 13 Aug, and lots of people get the incorrect date 12 Aug.  I'm one of the unlucky ones.

I've tried changing my home location to the US side of the dateline.  I've tried changing my GC profile timezone to US Pacific time.  Nothing works.

Why can't I (and many others) log this on the correct day???

A note on the GPS Maze cache page suggests that we have to edit our logs in cachly to the correct date.  Cachly doesn't run on my android phone so that's not an option.  And seriously, Geocaching HQ, that CANNOT be the solution!

Apparently, Groundspeak considers a GPS Maze to be a form of Event, and therefore, it can take place only on one particular date. But the enforcement of that date isn't completely rigorous, so there are workarounds.

You don't need to change the time zone or home coordinates, the date change was done in a different way. 

I won't present that method here, as most of the people here are of the opinion that it is a forbidden practice. Personally, however, I think that the cause should be addressed, not the effect, which is the attempt to change the date to the correct one. That is, to prevent the publication of events that take place more than one day, which seems to be illegal. 

If you ask somewhere else, someone will probably direct you to a pictorial guide to date change created by the organizer of an earlier Maze. However, not here. 

• Helpful 1

Bumping this to request a feature for allowing more than one date to log an Adventure Maze.

In the past, these used to be available like museum exhibits, for days at a time. See, for example, GC222MV, which was open for two months. (The logs are an interesting mix of "found it" and "attended," but they reflect the full date range the exhibit was open.)

Even at AFK's recent GeoWoodstock XIX iteration, the maze was open for three days - but though I went through it on the 27th, my log defaults to the 25th. (I almost got it to stick to the 27th by logging through the app, but then it apparently reverted.)

I wasn't even in Kentucky on the 25th - I was at home in Virginia, and I didn't start my drive until the 26th. Regardless, I'm stuck with a 25 May "attended" log.

If this could please be treated differently from events, and be available to log on the dates it was actually available, that would be swell.

Edited by hzoi
  • Helpful 1

Seconding hzoi's bump.  I calculated my cache finds carefully so that I could log GeoWoodstock XIX as my 10,000th find.  I toured the Maze late Saturday morning, after I logged the event and found some other caches and labs.  I was frustrated when my "attended" log on the GPS Maze defaulted to Thursday, when I was nowhere near the event site.  The Cachly workaround didn't work for me either.  I eventually gave up and locked in my milestone find manually.  This cost me a half hour of my life after a long drive home in holiday traffic after GeoWoodstock.

• Helpful 2