Do I need to get a Life....

boreal jeff & sons

A chum of mine who I took on a Geocache hunt almost two years ago, then went to Europe, has just got back. We got together for a few suds and I brought up the story of a Geocache I found just the day before, He said "Are you still doing that GPS thing?"

This got me thinking.

It's been just over two years since I started doing this Geocaching thing. Other Geocachers in my area have come and gone but I'm still going. I don't recognize any of the nicknames on the forums anymore. I still take pride and regularily maintain my caches. I still go out on a hunt when I get a chance.

What I'd like is to hear from fellow Geocachers that have been at this for about as long as me. I just want to know that I'm not "unusual".

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

quote:
Originally posted by Coupar-Angus:

Sounds like some counselling is in order.

Perhaps we can get some special group rates? icon_smile.gif

You're right C-A. We are overdue for a pub-nite. icon_biggrin.gif You are referring to the Double Diamond kind of counselling aren't you? icon_wink.gif

I've just hit the two year mark myself and although I've gone a couple of stretches with little caching activity the old spark is still there and showing no signs of diminishing.

Caching rules forever! Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

Well I personally don't see any problems! I started late 2001, was, unfortunately, unable to have a chance to do much last year and have started getting greater interest/participation in 2003 - as well as introducing three other people to the fun.

What would be the problem with having an attention span longer then 15 minutes that allows you to enjoy this hobby? Keep on hunting I say... icon_smile.gif

im relitivly new to this i only started about 3 months ago when people ask mey why i do it i tell them its not about the cache its self but where the co-ords take me most of the time im being taken to a view or a great camping site or park i never knew existed in my own back yard so to speak... the hikes get me out and lets face it i need the exersise. so for me it kills 2 birds with one stone.... theres nothing wrong with enjoying the fringe bennifits of geocaching.

Hard in Easy Out![8D]

Hi Jeff,

Great to see your still at it. Given your location and the fact that very few caches/cachers live near the Soo, I think that your still partly sane.

I get the same comments from my non-caching friends.

I've been at it since March 2002. Even since the birth of my son rayzor (Raymond), I still get out. Can't wait until he's hiking age!

I think you should take a trip out west and nail some Calgary caches.

balloonatic

quote:
Originally posted by balloonatic:

I think you should take a trip out west and nail some Calgary caches.

balloonatic

Great to hear from you.

What a good idea, a Geocaching vacation to Calgary. I think I can talk my wife into it. I know we'll have free lodging.

Ha ha, just kidding.

Did you hear about the

Great Canadian Travel Bug Race. I'm helping to maintain the web site for it.

quote:

What I'd like is to hear from fellow Geocachers that have been at this for about as long as me. I just want to know that I'm not "unusual".

As with any other hobby/passtime/sport/activity, there are people who have no interest, others come and go and yet others who's interest is unwaiving.

In my mid-twenties, I was an avid stamp collector. I lost interest and gave away my collection.

Geocaching is new and I think that in 20 years, you'll find this pattern. Those who are still around will recognize names from way back in the first few years. Then ask the question "What ever happened to ....?"

This is a fun and relaxing hobby. It is good excersise, harmless and (after the purchace of the GPS) relatively inexpensive.

Yet it is not for everybody. My father-in-law was curious so I brought him on a cache hunt. He was satisfied and understood why I enjoyed it so much but didn't develope an interest himself.

I wouldn't worry about your friend's reaction. In fact, I would wonder if nobody reacted that way. Keep on Geocaching as long as you enjoy it.

Hey Jeff, you have at least 2 new caches to check out! Also, regarding the not recognizing any names, I can solve that problem a little bit... Now, you may have already figured those ones out, but in case you hadn't.

The Two Navigators = 2/3 of 49th Field (my brothers)

freewilly = 1/3 of 49th Field (my dad)

Bullzie

quote:
Originally posted by Bullzie:

The Two Navigators = 2/3 of 49th Field (my brothers)

freewilly = 1/3 of 49th Field (my dad)

Bullzie

Cool... maybe you guys can get a 'group rate' on that counseling thing. (grin)

Myself, on the other hand, I could use some training from The Two Navigators on how the hell they spot some of these tags and find some of these caches in the Ottawa area...

'WGC' (they found this multi BEFORE it was even posted to the site)

and

The Missing Link (this one proved to be near impossible for everyone BUT the Two Navigators)

Tripper

I think I laughed for about 5 minutes when they told me about finding the cache before it was even posted. Mind you, I do the same, if I see a great hiding spot, I instinctively check it out 'just in case' but I think they are among the few to actually find a cache when they look. If I was the person who hid it, I would be quite bitter.

Bullzie

quote:
Originally posted by Tripper:

Myself, on the other hand, I could use some training from The Two Navigators on how the hell they spot some of these tags and find some of these caches in the Ottawa area...

Tripper

I could use some of that training to, particularily when I'm looking for the ones they've hidden....

Yes we got pretty lucky on Pepperways WGC cache that we found before it was posted and we had pretty good luck on Missing Link as well. As far as a good hide, well we learned from Ottawa's best (Zartimus, Tripper, binthair, Pepperway, Mlord, the 4 Newfs, Tick and Nammie....). Oh and we also ride the bus to all the caches or are provided a ride by some very generous cache teams and when you have to ride the bus for about 40 minutes then walk very long distances it only motivates you to find the cache because "there is no way in hell we are going to be doing all the traveling again".

P.S. lessons are free to those with a car icon_wink.gif