Historical benchmark logs missing?

RACooper

Many years ago (2003), I started doing benchmark finding in the central Texas area. I'm pretty sure I had logged a few dozen, including 16 NGS reports with updates.  I was able to identify the NGS submitted datasheets, but none of them appear to exist in the Waymarking database.  When were benchmark records removed from the dataset, and are all my old finds no longer logged anywhere?  I know it's been 20 years but that's a bit disappointing that the history has been lost.

From your profile, I see 68 benchmark logs.  Which ones are missing?

Waymarking is a separate activity and the benchmark categories there are typically used for markers that aren't in the outdated, USA-only database that was added to the site in the early 2000's when there weren't very many geocaches to find.

12 hours ago, RACooper said:

Many years ago (2003), I started doing benchmark finding in the central Texas area. I'm pretty sure I had logged a few dozen, including 16 NGS reports with updates.  I was able to identify the NGS submitted datasheets, but none of them appear to exist in the Waymarking database.  When were benchmark records removed from the dataset, and are all my old finds no longer logged anywhere?  I know it's been 20 years but that's a bit disappointing that the history has been lost.

Your waymark account has zero waymarks posted and zero waymarks visited. You do not have any benchmark waymarks.

I do see 37 benchmarks (but 68 logs) listed on your geocaching profile.

Edited by Max and 99

I didn't think to check my profile, I was searching waymarks.com - which didn't even exist in 2003.  So I guess the 'legacy' benchmark records/datasheets from NGS are no longer available as automatic waymarks, and there's no way except manually to correlate between the "old" benchmarks list and the new mess that is Waymarking, which I would have to enter each one individually as I find (and only if I find) them? Are there any other sites that can keep track of benchmarks like the old geocaching bencmarks site?

• Surprised 1