The web browser you are currently using doesn't support WebGL

fbax

We’re sorry!
The web browser you are currently using doesn’t support WebGL, which is needed to view this map.
To view a map experience that supports your browser, please use our Browse map.

Search Map is not working; see these topics for same issue I experience: Topic 365770 and Topic 365625; neither was helpful for my situation.

Tuesday, Chrome update; immediately  Search map stopped working and  is currently broken.
Wednesday, another Chrome update did not resolve this issue.
Thursday (today)  I rebooted Windows; still same issue.

Windows 10 updates are current; no updates are pending. System does not meet minimum requirements for Win11.

Chrome Version 104.0.5112.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)

What do I try next?

Edited by fbax
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, GordEtob said:

I'm experiencing the same problem with WebGL not being supported.  It started happening about a week ago.  I updated Chrome as suggested.  Still doesn't work.  I'm still on Windows 7.

I haven't used MS Windows in years, but a quick search indicates a few things to check:

Make sure you've updated Chrome to the latest version.

Go to the settings in Chrome, then scroll down and select Advanced.

In the System section, toggle the "Use hardware acceleration when available" setting to make sure it is on (button should be blue).

Restart Chrome to apply the settings.

The problem seems to have cleared up for me.  I play a golf game on facebook and it stopped working at about the same time, so I updated to the most current version of chrome and both the geocaching map program and the golf game problem both cleared up.  My chrome version did not appear to be far out of date, but maybe they had a bad version????

• Helpful 1
20 hours ago, niraD said:

I haven't used MS Windows in years, but a quick search indicates a few things to check:

Make sure you've updated Chrome to the latest version.

Go to the settings in Chrome, then scroll down and select Advanced.

In the System section, toggle the "Use hardware acceleration when available" setting to make sure it is on (button should be blue).

Restart Chrome to apply the settings.

Hi NiraD,

Thanks,  Your post led to a solution, although not the way you intended.  I had seen that "Use hardware acceleration when available" setting advice days ago, and it was always in the ON position.  So, I left it alone.

But today, I decided to try cycling through the setting.  I intended to turn it off, relaunch CHROME, then turn it on again, and relaunch again.

When I turned the setting off, and relaunched, I went into Geocaching and tried the new (Non-browse) map.  It worked!!!  I then signed off Geocaching, went into the CHROME settings and turned the "acceleration" setting back on, and relaunched.  The map didn't work.  I got the "WebGL not supported" error message.

Back to CHROME settings and turned the "acceleration" setting OFF, and relaunched.  The map works.

So, either CHROME is screwed up, or the advice to turn hardware acceleration on is wrong -- the "WebGL" map only works for me when "Use hardware acceleration when available" is set to "OFF".
  • Helpful 1
39 minutes ago, GordEtob said:

So, either CHROME is screwed up, or the advice to turn hardware acceleration on is wrong -- the "WebGL" map only works for me when "Use hardware acceleration when available" is set to "OFF".

I'm glad you got it sorted out. Hopefully, this will help someone else.

Like I said, I haven't used MS Windows for years.