Ontario Topo Maps software

Guest Olar

Does anyone have any experience with Softmaps Ontario Topo50 on CD-rom? I'm new to GPS use and Geocaching and am wondering if purchasing this package would be useful.

Guest mazda626

I'm also interested in the Softmap product since is much more reasonably priced then other digital maps (Spectrum Didgital Imaging, Fugawa,QVN ect). However when I emailed them inquiring about file format I received the following "The map file use in SoftMap are encrypted. It is not possible to import

SoftMap map in other Software. It is only possible to cut and paste a part

of map."

I think this means that you would be stuck using their software (they're developing a GPS option for $50 but it's currently only available as a beta vesion).

I would be interested in hearing from someone who actually has their product, especailly the Alberta Topo 50

"After you've heard two eyewitness accounts of an auto accident it makes you wonder about history." --Unknown

------------------

[This message has been edited by mazda626 (edited 20 June 2001).]

Guest bradrobb

I have the Ontario Map set for the south.

It is a very good additon to using my GPS.

I was on a hike last sat and just made waypoints then printed the map for the area and was able to mark what I wanted on the map.

I have a sample of the map I cut and pasted for my cache at:

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/images/2550_400.jpg

The best part of using it is my GPS is set up in UTM and I can print with those grid lines on the map.

Brad

Guest Meeklo

quote:
Originally posted by bradrobb:

There software does not support my Globalmap 100 I asked them and they are only testing it for Garmin GPS's for now.

Softmap is I think a small company, and does not have the money to test their software with all the various manufactures.

Softmap is capable of talking to a GPS using the NMEA protocol. So theoretically it should work with most GPS's. It works fine with my un-supported 320Mag.

[edit] Ahh upon further reading I see you've already figured this out, sorry bradrobb

Meeklo

[This message has been edited by Meeklo (edited 07 August 2001).]

Guest Baston

I work in a school that has a very active GIS program so we have access to some fugawa ontario topo maps on cd. (hint)

These maps will work nicely with a mapping program called Oziexplorer. A great adventure planning tool. (www.oziexplorer.com)

The reason we do not have easy access to maps in Canada is due to the fact that all maps in Canada are property of the Queen and anyone wishing to publish then has to pay for copyright useage.

Bummer

Baston

quote:
Originally posted by Baston:

...... so we have access to some fugawa ontario topo maps on cd. (hint)

Baston

Baston do you have any experience with the Fugawi software itself. I'm interested because you can get 7000 Bruce Trail waypoints for $20 but have to buy both the software and the Ontario Topos. That would price out at about $260 plus tax. eek.gif

I'd prefer hearing about it first from fellow cachers before spending that kind of money. Maybe a 649 win tonight!! rolleyes.gif

Thanks,

------------------

Happy Caching, Olar

"if you come to a fork in the trail, then take it!"

Baston:

Would it be possible to post a jpg of the detail of the maps. I have the QVN ontario Topo's that i use with oziexplorer. I'm just wondering if Fugawi and QVN scanned the same maps or if one set is better then the other.

If you can post the location as well so I can bring up the exact same spot on the QVN maps for comparison

Olar

We have the viewing software only so far.

I use the maps with oziexplorer and it works well.

I went to a set of cross roads and set a wpt on my Map Guide Pro. I then downloaded the wpt to my laptop with oziexplorer and pulled up the Brampton map set, the wpt was dead on the cross roads.

Baston

quote:
Originally posted by Haps:

Would it be possible to post a jpg of the detail of the maps. I have the QVN ontario Topo's that i use with oziexplorer. I'm just wondering if Fugawi and QVN scanned the same maps or if one set is better then the other.

If you can post the location as well so I can bring up the exact same spot on the QVN maps for comparison

Haps here is a sample of a selection from the Fugawi Topos. It was printed with a scale of 1:25000 then scanned as a jpg file.

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/images/3608_600.jpg

The waypoint shown is the location of my "Stroll along the River" cache.

Hope this helps you in your comparisons.

------------------

Happy Caching, Olar

"if you come to a fork in the trail, then take it!"