Algonquin Park

Guest cro

Lots of real estate here for placing a geocache.

In May (when the 2 or 3 metres of snow have finally disappeared), I'll be establishing at least 2 caches - 1 accessible from a hiking trail, the other accessible by canoe. They will be placed along the Hwy 60 corridor. I'll keep you posted.

Richard

[This message has been edited by cro (edited 03-04-2001).]

Guest 300mag

Nice place for a cache. Some friends of mine use to cut wood up in the park many moons ago.They talk of how the moose would follow them around different places earing the sound of chainsaws and eat the treetops as they bring down trees . Hopefully the cache seekers will see some moose .They also told me of a area where you where not allow to put your radio on or use your horn etc .I guess not to cause any interference ie:antennas

"Hopefully the cache seekers will see some moose."

The best time of year to see moose is late April to mid June. I counted 12 one day in May a few years ago.

"They also told me of a area where you where not allow to put your radio on or use your horn etc.I guess not to cause any interference ie:antennas"

A number of rules apply to users of the Park. When I post the geocache(s), I'll also post a link to Algonquin's website where the rules of use are outlined.

Guest Meeklo

ir website). It's a Radio Observatory located in the interior of Algonquin.

GPS Coorinates N45 57' 20.8481"/W 78 4' 16.9078" for anyone interest in a cache the size of a Satalite Dish!! For anyone seriously interested in looking for it, the road that goes to my "BarronCanyonCache" also goes to the Algonquin Space Complex.

algo4.jpg

Meeklo

The reason you can't use radios in the interior of the Park is simply because of the audio noise not RF noise.

In keeping with the "wilderness" experience, outboard motors are banned from most interior lakes; generators, chainsaws, etc. are not permitted in the interior.

That's all.

quote:

A number of rules apply to users of the Park. When I post the geocache(s), I'll also post a link to Algonquin's website where the rules of use are outlined.

Cro will you have to get permission to place a cache in the park? I keep reading about the problems in the U.S. National & State Parks cachers are having. I hope we never get involved like that here in Canada.

[This message has been edited by Olar (edited 07 August 2001).]

There are now about 8 caches in the Park. I placed 2 of them and did not seek MNR's approval. I simply followed the guidelines of geocaching.com for placing caches in such a manner as to minimize harm to the environment and geocache seeker.

On my recent trip to the north end of the park, I was able to do three caches and thoroughly enjoyed it. Was hoping to do some highway corridor caches on the way home, but we just ran out of time. Hopefully they won't make any major changes before I get the chance to do some of them. As has been expressed elsewhere in this thread, I think if we are all respectful of the environment and stick to the trails as much as possible, surely the powers at be will recognize that cachers are nature lovers and care about the state of the parks.

Cheers!

Ian. icon_cool.gif