Reset trackable odometer??

Geoboater

On 8/23/2022 at 8:58 AM, Geoboater said:

...and plan to re-use the codes on newly released trackable items. 

This is called making a proxy, and it is something I personally wholly encourage!

Personally, I don't "re-set" the TB, I just add a Note stating the old one has gone missing, and here's a new one off on adventure number two (or three, or ten...). Inevitably the new proxy TB going out is different to the original, but I just set a photo of the new version to be the profile picture for that TB and leave the old one in the gallery. There's always that 0.0001% chance the original might re-surface somewhere, and if it has the history and photos on the TB page of the original then the finder would know for sure that it is the correct TB.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:46 AM, niraD said:
On 8/23/2022 at 1:35 AM, TriciaG said:

You'd have to delete all the logs on the TBs to "reset" them.

And those logs are part of the geocaching history of the people who have interacted with the original trackables.

So to spell it out crystal clear: Please Don't Do It!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
On 8/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, TriciaG said:

I don't believe so. You'd have to delete all the logs on the TBs to "reset" them.

On 8/22/2022 at 11:46 PM, niraD said:

And those logs are part of the geocaching history of the people who have interacted with the original trackables.

7 hours ago, Hynz said:

So to spell it out crystal clear: Please Don't Do It!

And to add to that, remember that while the TB may be yours, the log is MINE. You may have the ABILITY to delete my log, but you're going to have to explain it to me, and then directly to Groundspeak.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
On 8/22/2022 at 7:28 PM, Geoboater said:

I've several trackables that have been lost for 6-10 years and plan to re-use the codes on newly released trackable items. 

My question is, can a trackable's odometer be reset to zero so it only reflects mileage for the new trackable item?

While you could delete the log, the action such as “retrieved” or “discovered” can remain attached to a cacher. Log “actions” become interconnected with caches and cachers. Photos of the items remain. Deletion creates new issues, everything begins to “Swiss cheese” the database, and becomes tough to undo.

I revived a bunch of my “lost” Trackables and returned them to me. My plan if I were ever to re-release them, is to make it clear in the Description, the point where the new mileage will begin. I need to have extra info about the original Trackable anyway, in case it turns up. Which happens. So if the revived version is in play when the original is found, a “reset” will make the situation even more complicated.

I'd suggest leaving the historical record intact, and allow more logs and mileage to be added. Your mileage may vary. :anibad:

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 8/22/2022 at 8:46 PM, niraD said:
On 8/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, TriciaG said:

You'd have to delete all the logs on the TBs to "reset" them.

My son did this with a vehicle decal without realizing the consequences.  It had been on one car; they got a new one and "reset" it to put it on the NEW car and "start over" - and he got a lot of emails asking why logs had been deleted!!  Granted, they were primarily Discover logs (we got deletion messages too!) and their visit logs.  But still, it's part of our records too...

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

My son did this with a vehicle decal without realizing the consequences.  It had been on one car; they got a new one and "reset" it to put it on the NEW car and "start over" - and he got a lot of emails asking why logs had been deleted!!  Granted, they were primarily Discover logs (we got deletion messages too!) and their visit logs.  But still, it's part of our records too...

+1

I’d suggest that if someone is intent to delete a bunch of logs for most any reason (including a TB mileage reset), to run it by the Forum users first, and/or the Help Desk.  Because of so many people who come here about “I deleted a bunch of logs and [unintended consequences happened], and how do I undo that?”  At least there may be a less drastic way to do the desired thing.

• Upvote 1