I would like a L and L on Provincial Park

west sider

I was a visitor in Rainbow Falls Provincial Park Ontario. I did not have my GPS with me at the time. I would like to find the L and L of the bridge at the nature trail in that park. I have a very personal and sentimental reason for wanting it. If anyone has this information please e-mail me. Janbmom@aol.com icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by west sider:

I was a visitor in Rainbow Falls Provincial Park Ontario. I did not have my GPS with me at the time. I would like to find the L and L of the bridge at the nature trail in that park. I have a very personal and sentimental reason for wanting it. If anyone has this information please e-mail me. Janbmom@aol.com icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi there:

I too was up in that area a couple of years ago -- we were staying in Rossport to dive on a wreck close by. The only waypoint I have that's close is N48* 50.661 W87* 24.278 which I think is the waterfall... not sure this helps much but it'll get you close icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure where in the Park you mean, but here is the Ontario government's map browser. It is slow and gives you UTM, zone 16, NAD83 coords, but your GPSr can convert them.

Ontario Gov't map browser

Scroll down to Topographic Feastures, and zoom in close enough until the "Boundary of Provincial Parks"layer pops up. As you zoom in you can also turn on the trails layer. I know it's not perfect, but it is a work in progress.

Good Luck, be patient,

Donna G

quote:
Originally posted by DonnaG:

"...I'm not sure where in the Park you mean, but here is the Ontario government's map browser. It is slow and gives you UTM, zone 16, NAD83 coords, but your GPSr can convert them..."

You weren't kidding about it being slow! Slow to the point of being impractical over a normal dial-up internet connection (...who are the intended users of this?). In any event, I had a go at it from the office this morning (where my internet is somewhat faster) and, although still quite slow, I was able to pull up a map of what I think is Rainbow Falls Provincial Park. If it's possible for 'west sider' to approximate where the bridge is located along the hiking paths (the dotted orange lines), this site will indeed provide a lon/lat for the location:

57962_4200.jpg

ontario1.gif