Stolen Geocache Box

3MsCachers

I am so disappointed to report that someone stole my geocache.  It's been active for about a year and I've had so many comments that it was a great cache!  I received a comment from "noce123,"

asking "What kind of knife was that in the box?"  Of course, I had not placed a knife in the cache and that prompted me to check the cache.  My cache was a large official Geocache ammo box and we kept it filled with fun toys and trinkets.  The whole box was gone!!  Ii could have been that someone outside this community came along and found it.  I am hoping that was the case -- otherwise, it is extremely disheartening to think those participating in this fun adventure would spoil it for others.  Plus, I had quite a bit of money invested in my box.  Has anyone else had their boxes completely stolen? 

• Funny 1

One of my ammo boxes was taken by a utility worker, but he brought it back a few days later. Evidently took it home and researched it, decided it was harmless, even signed the log.  Later the box was taken again and gone for good this time.  Many other types of container have also disappeared.

4 hours ago, 3MsCachers said:

I am so disappointed to report that someone stole my geocache.  It's been active for about a year and I've had so many comments that it was a great cache!  I received a comment from "noce123,"

asking "What kind of knife was that in the box?"  Of course, I had not placed a knife in the cache and that prompted me to check the cache.  My cache was a large official Geocache ammo box and we kept it filled with fun toys and trinkets.  The whole box was gone!!  Ii could have been that someone outside this community came along and found it.  I am hoping that was the case -- otherwise, it is extremely disheartening to think those participating in this fun adventure would spoil it for others.  Plus, I had quite a bit of money invested in my box.  Has anyone else had their boxes completely stolen? 

Most often it's been my small "Lock and Lock" boxes that are accessible and easy for anyone to find.  In some cases the box is placed someplace else (someone thinking that's how it's done).

I've placed caches in spots where previously no cache could remain.  The spot was available because the Cache Owner gave up, it was stolen too often.  When I know this, I consider that spot... what could I try instead?  I've worked on some of these for several years.  One is Yellow Submarine, a large, bright yellow ammo box.  That one is not even "PMO".  But all such caches have several things designed into them to make them less attractive to Muggles or too much work for them to bother.

6 hours ago, 3MsCachers said:

Has anyone else had their boxes completely stolen? 

Yes, most of my containers that have been stolen are ammo  and "Lock and Lock" boxes.
One of the ammo boxes was secured with a chain and padlock to a tree but a tool was used to cut the chain.
The simplest and cheapest containers usually do not disappear.

20 hours ago, kunarion said:

Most often it's been my small "Lock and Lock" boxes that are accessible and easy for anyone to find.  In some cases the box is placed someplace else (someone thinking that's how it's done).

I've placed caches in spots where previously no cache could remain.  The spot was available because the Cache Owner gave up, it was stolen too often.  When I know this, I consider that spot... what could I try instead?  I've worked on some of these for several years.  One is Yellow Submarine, a large, bright yellow ammo box.  That one is not even "PMO".  But all such caches have several things designed into them to make them less attractive to Muggles or too much work for them to bother.

I'm intrigued - like what? Do you smear them with something?

2 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I'm intrigued - like what? Do you smear them with something?

It's a combination of choice of spot, hide style, camo, D/T, Mystery or Multi PMO, other things.  For example, the higher Difficulty which means it's not immediately shown to bored kids who just now installed the App.  But if it's less likely to be stolen, it's also found less often.  When everyone finds it, that includes everyone.

As for smearing something, I have smeared an ammo box with a thick layer of silicone rubber RTV so that I could cover it with bark and leaves that it had 15 years ago.  It was an adopted cache, and the natural cover had fallen off over time.  But that was merely to restore it, not to keep it safe.  OTOH, it has not been stolen, so maybe covering a box with forest litter is a way to make it less desirable to thieves.  :anibad:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2

I've had a few caches go missing. When this happens I usually replace it with a cache that I haven't put any money into (but is still of good quality) so that if it goes missing again shortly afterwards I haven't lost much other than a sturdy recycled container, some green paint, a pencil/pen and a sheet of paper. If it stays in place and the theft appears to have been a one-off event then the container could be replaced with something a bit nicer. If it gets stolen again then it's a sign that someone knows it's there and will keep checking back and stealing it. I've had this happen and have decided to move or archive the cache as there's no point continuing to replace caches in the same place only for the local kids to steal them.

• Helpful 1
On 8/20/2022 at 11:37 AM, kunarion said:

<...>

As for smearing something, I have smeared an ammo box with a thick layer of silicone rubber RTV so that I could cover it with bark and leaves that it had 15 years ago.  It was an adopted cache, and the natural cover had fallen off over time.  But that was merely to restore it, not to keep it safe.  OTOH, it has not been stolen, so maybe covering a box with forest litter is a way to make it less desirable to thieves.  :anibad:

Not what I was thinking of, but that'll work.

I have an ammo box out there; the one I've been most anxious about getting stolen. 

I gorilla-glued a large chunk of irregularly-carved styrofoam to one side, then splotch-painted it brown & green. The styrofoam was to make it not 'box-shaped'.

I found a nifty inexpensive camo netting on Amazon, which I glued to the styrofoam side so that it draped down all around over the whole thing sitting on its flat side in a fallen tree-notch.

Looks cool, has stood up to winter and has gotten me a bunch of up-thumb comments, on-line and off.

Not the BEST hiding job, but not everyone has found it (although no one's filed a DNF)!  It's at eye-level on the only object located near EXACT coordinates, so I'd call it successful camo. Everyone's been careful about putting it back well and rearranging the drape.

MillBrook Cache_I.jpeg

MillBrook Cache_II.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I place a cache with the expectation that at some point, it might/will go missing, for whatever reason. As a result, I always look for a possible second hiding spot in the vicinity when I'm initially placing, just in case I need a backup plan. Disappearing cache containers is part of geocaching as is disappearing trackables, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

Many, unfortunately. Maybe the one that hurt the most is a 2001 cache I adopted that still had the original logbook but the container was toast. I replaced it with a .50 cal ammo can and of course someone stole it, original logbook gone. They also stole the .30 cal I used next. It's been a cheap plastic jug for a few years now with no problems (yet).

• Surprised 1

If ammo cans go missing because they are desirable useful items to other people then perhaps the idea of making them less desirable is a good one. Silicone rubber, leaf litter and styrofoam are all good ideas. Perhaps the GC code and name of the cache could be welded onto both sides of the box with a MIG welder. Anything that wouldn't look good in someone else's garage or truck would help.

• Helpful 1
8 hours ago, vw_k said:

If ammo cans go missing because they are desirable useful items to other people then perhaps the idea of making them less desirable is a good one. Silicone rubber, leaf litter and styrofoam are all good ideas. Perhaps the GC code and name of the cache could be welded onto both sides of the box with a MIG welder. Anything that wouldn't look good in someone else's garage or truck would help.

The same techniques can help make nice Lock-N-Lock boxes less desirable for someone to take.  Camo paint, then sprinkle crushed leaves right in the wet paint.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, NanCycle said:

The same techniques can help make nice Lock-N-Lock boxes less desirable for someone to take.  Camo paint, then sprinkle crushed leaves right in the wet paint.

Absolutely.

This was a brand new Lock-n-Lock I put out, so treated.

Who the hell would WANT to pick it up and take it with them?

The two labels are on the INSIDE of the lid, peeking through untreated 'windows' in the camo.

image.jpeg.638386a431b1fcae7fe08cc5bdb43c1d.jpeg

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, vw_k said:

I have an ammo can with fake plastic pine straw glued onto it with construction adhesive.  The straw points up when the box lays flat, which makes it surprisingly tricky to find.  Also it would be an inconvenience to a thief even if he finds it.

8c7111bc-dff4-4284-9d73-00bc945d2f70_l.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1