Back up GPS

I don't know their reasons, but the reason I might take a back up is that out of mobile range the GPS might suddenly play up and can't find the loaded files. That has happened to me. One thing in favour of a GPS (Garmin etrex 35 size) is that they fit in pockets, where mobile phones don't, at least with modern jeans. (Many women complain a lot about the tiny, inadequate pockets in women's jeans, and some have said they wear men's jeans to get good sized pockets. Unfortunately though, men and women tent to be different shapes.)

If travelling with other geocachers though, your GPSs act as a back up for each other. It's when travelling alone.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I don't know their reasons, but

I still have an old Blue Legend in the truck JIC I smash the heck out of the GPSr I'm carrying.

Most parking spots here have service (maybe not so much in the woods), so getting coordinates can be easily loaded manually.

If service is good (it's getting better...) maybe even just use the phone for a change.   It's just as "accurate"...

Of course too far in with no service (+/- 5 mi or so.), I'd call it a day...  It's only a smiley, and simply go back another time.   :)

25 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I still have an old Blue Legend in the truck JIC I smash the heck out of the GPSr I'm carrying.

Most parking spots here have service (maybe not so much in the woods), so getting coordinates can be easily loaded manually.

If service is good (it's getting better...) maybe even just use the phone for a change.   It's just as "accurate"...

Of course too far in with no service (+/- 5 mi or so.), I'd call it a day...  It's only a smiley, and simply go back another time.   :)

Too many places here have no mobile coverage or if they do it's like waiting for paint to dry while the phone opens a cache on it. Meanwhile with a GPS you could likely have found the cache, signed the log and returned it. All while the phone struggles with getting reception.

The phone is a backup in urban areas, not in the bush away from urban areas. Less likely to have reception here; where I was recently.  There's a cache here.

There's the pocket issue with phones too. They don't fit in the pockets of female jeans. Gees, the last two pairs of jeans I bought, my fingers hardly fitted. My hankie often sticks out, there's so little room for it.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a21b79d526a2a904384c47ff95a5a9a.jpeg

View 4.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle

I was going to suggest a GPSMAP 64sx as the main receiver and use the Etrex 35T as back-up, lol. But, it appears the UK version of the 64sx is different, in that it lacks TopoActive mapping. It's dropped way down in price here to $299 CDN. I always take my Etrex 30x when travelling as I've left a really nice camera in a taxi in Atlanta and feel comfortable in knowing that if I lose my 30x, it's not as heartbreaking as misplacing my 65s, lol. 

Edited by luvvinbird
spelling