Extreme Caching?

Catchmeifyoucan

Okay, before I get a whole lot people excited and upset over this one, remember I'm just posing a question.

Is there such a thing as "Extreme Caching"? I am willing to use this term very loosely, since I guess this could mean anything, but what I am wondering is---doesn't anybody out there get a little bored with the location of some caches?

Would it be more challenging to have some caches hidden in places/locations that are a little harder to get to? Note: I'm just not talking about putting one 50' up a tree to make it hard, but ALL types of situations.

I'm leaving the "challanged" aspect fairly open ended, but I'm just a little curious on what other Cachers think about the subject.

Thanks!

I think there are lots of caches out there that are a bit more "extreme". I'm not sure what you have in mind but I've seen caches that are extremely remote (Antarctica), require boat/float plane access, a major hike, etc. How much more extreme did you have in mind? Personally, I like a walk to my cache, rather than the drive-up and lean out the door kind 'o cache.

Interesting question.

This is an interesting concept... caches that require more planning -- and committment -- to get to. Certainly would be an interesting addition to the "sport." I have an underwater cache ready for placement -- need to wait for the water to get soft again to release it. And I thought long and hard about the fairness of it... it's tough to get to, is deep and therefore is only accessible to very few geocachers. But I decided to go for it anyway.

DD

"Either that wallpaper goes or I do!"

My buddy, Servman and I have made a couple of caches "extreme" by doing them at night with NO planning! On one occasion we were walking through the deep dark woods (no flashlights on of course!) and having been infantry reserve and done many a night patrol I was cruising along. I stopped a few minutes into our hike and checked to find Servman lagging. It turned out I was wearing all black and he couldn't see me at all! I took my Tritium compass and hung it on my back to give him a reference point.

Another night cache he and I did resulted in me up to my knees in a VERY COLD swamp (under the water the ground was still frozen) sloshing around for 1/2 hour. We didn't find that cache but with all the mosquitos it was pretty extreme!

Another time we drove to North Bay from Toronto just for a day caching!

Like I said, if you want to MAKE a cache extreme you can do it by not planning ahead or going at night or both!

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Originally posted by Decodoppler:

I have an underwater cache ready for placement -- need to wait for the water to get soft again to release it. And I thought long and hard about the fairness of it... it's tough to get to, is deep and therefore is only accessible to very few geocachers. But I decided to go for it anyway.

COOOOOOL!

Sounds like you're thinking of a SCUBA-cache... or is that a new type, like multi, and virtual chaces are?

Either way, race you, to be the first to lay it out (my little princess and I both have dry suits)!

icon_razz.gif

Recently a friend of ours had his cache archived by Jeremy, apparently because one person had decided it was unsafe. Other people had been to the cache and didn't mention it though. I know I'm new, but isn't that what the terrain ratings are for? Not every cache has to be a walk in the park, right?

[This message was edited by hilaryipes on February 25, 2003 at 03:36 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Dave, Trina & Alex:

COOOOOOL!

Sounds like you're thinking of a SCUBA-cache... or is that a new type, like multi, and virtual chaces are?

Either way, race you, to be the first to lay it out (my little princess and I both have dry suits)!

icon_razz.gif

OK D,T & A it's a race and since we both have that nasty ice stuff to contend with... we have a little time to plan!!!! Hey, actually mine is a multi with the final clues at depth and the cache on the surface a short distance from the underwater locale... near your area too!

DD

quote:
This is probably the wrong section for this but since we dont have benchmarks like they do in the states is there something similar we can use in Canada ?

Are but we do and they're on Jeremy's list - read this thread

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=5280962783&m=5980928145

And some are extreme - one round here in a farmers field with a bull in it - a true cache and run icon_eek.gif

OK D,T & A it's a race and since we both have that nasty ice stuff to contend with... we have a little time to plan!!!! Hey, actually mine is a multi with the final clues at depth and the cache on the surface a short distance from the underwater locale... near your area too!

DD

Excellent - if you need dive buddies when you're in town let me know - I've got a bunch of folk who geocache (or soon will be), and dive.

As to the race... hope you enjoy coming in second, l icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifser!

Cheers