A travelling Frenchman

ScroogieII

Our friend Philippe, AKA pmaupin, is most likely either on a train to Paris, or in Paris, as I write this.

As I begin this short missive it is 2:45 AM, Wednesday, August 10, 2022 in Paris.

Phil is due to fly from Paris this morning (Paris time) to Vancouver, BC, to embark on an epic Geocaching and Waymarking adventure to Vancouver and environs, Seattle and environs, and Southern Alberta.

Please wish him well, and a happy and safe landing, folks!!!

That nasty COVID thing has delayed his departure by two full years, but this year it seems as though it may actually come come to pass! :D

Those Frenchmen have nothing, if not perseverance and stick-to-it-iveness. KUDOS, Phil, for never giving up the ship!

Thank You, folks.

Keith

Update: Estimated take off: 10:15 am Paris time (01:15 AM in Vancouver)

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Love 2

Wish you a safe journey Phil.

I myself was in the small heavy metal town of Wacken in my first week of vacation (finally after three years due to COVID). Unfortunatly my daily streak came to a sudden stop on the second day in Wacken ... (My fault - I overslept and was out of the time window for creating a blanko waymark).

Currently I am visiting Swedens counties - for the geocaching statistics and for taking some pictures of interesting places - which are hopefully transmuted into waymarks ...

So I wish everyone to have some fun whereever he/she may be

Erik.

• Upvote 2
20 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Our friend Philippe, AKA pmaupin, is most likely either on a train to Paris, or in Paris, as I write this.

As I begin this short missive it is 2:45 AM, Wednesday, August 10, 2022 in Paris.

Phil is due to fly from Paris this morning (Paris time) to Vancouver, BC, to embark on an epic Geocaching and Waymarking adventure to Vancouver and environs, Seattle and environs, and Southern Alberta.

That nasty COVID thing has delayed his departure by two full years, but this year it seems as though it may actually come come to pass! :D

Those Frenchmen have nothing, if not perseverance and stick-to-it-iveness. KUDOS, Phil, for never giving up the ship!

Thank You, folks.

Keith

Update: Estimated take off: 10:15 am Paris time (01:15 AM in Vancouver)

I was planning on going to Geowoodstock and the HQ celebration (as it's the closest it's been to me in years). However, my plans have changed and I cannot get time off from school. I know many geocaching friends in my area who are going and I wished I could have be able to join everyone. I wish everyone who is going, including pmaupin, to enjoy the northwest and have fun! Super jealous! It's one of the only places in the country I have not visited and hope to make it out there someday! It would be interesting to see where Geowoodstock would be next year and if they are moving back to the normal May dates.

• Upvote 1
On 8/9/2022 at 6:02 PM, ScroogieII said:

Thank You, folks.

Keith

Thank you very much my friend.
Yes I arrived, a little tired with these 9 hours of jet lag, but that's fine.
I participated in the Abbotsford Giga, and I have already taken pictures for my next waymark.
Canada is a very welcoming country. Tomorrow direction the USA, with visit of HQ. Then it will be in pleasant company the visit of Alberta.
Thanks also to my supporters.
Phil

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

While you were there did you see my New Zealand FTF Award trackable. It was discovered there by a geocacher. 

I was very surprised to find it so close to home as it was in Germany for several years.

Its  journey began in Mission Creek Park in Kelowna, British Columbia on January 3, 2012.

it has traveled a total of  3,930 days  or 10 years, 9 months, 4 days and  traveled a total of 84,103 km or 52, 260 miles.

That sucker must be pretty tired by now. But being back in Abbotsford is REALLY COOL. Doubtless, though, it will never get even closer to home, I suspect.

84,103 km (52, 260 miles)!!! That's a helluva journey! I'm impressed with its stamina!

16 hours ago, pmaupin said:

Then it will be in pleasant company the visit of Alberta

Well, don't be so certain there, Phil, about the "pleasant company" bit.

I have it on good account that your near future travelling companion can be really crabby, contentious and argumentative, especially if he's not yet had his morning coffee. :D

But that's, as far as I know, only rumor, so what would I know?

We had planned to travel Seattle celebration & Geowoodstock, etc on original date, but then came covid with all travelling trouble. Same happened for Giga Event on Prague. We lost all airliner and hotel moneys for Prague. Having kind of bad taste with that, we decided to not try again booking flights to US for this year.

Also haven't visited any local Mega events anylonger.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:07 AM, Smurffaaja said:

We had planned to travel Seattle celebration & Geowoodstock, etc on original date, but then came covid with all travelling trouble. Same happened for Giga Event on Prague. We lost all airliner and hotel moneys for Prague. Having kind of bad taste with that, we decided to not try again booking flights to US for this year.

Also haven't visited any local Mega events any longer.

Well, Kai, if ever you SHOULD get brave enough to get yourself to the western environs of North America, BE SURE to let me know. I certainly have no plans to journey to Finland in the next while, but your presence in my neighbourhood would be every bit as useful for actually, finally, meeting face to face. :):):)

That would certainly put a smile on my face!!!

BTW Kai, did you watch the IIHF Juniors final game yesterday? Much as I hate to say it, but for an incredible bit of bad luck in overtime, Finland would have WON that!!!

Keith

Further to the title of this thread, stay tuned for the saga of the Scroogie & Philippe Journey To Alberta.

I can assure you that you won't want to miss it. It won't happen for a few days yet, as Phil is still on the coast. After his return home, I will need him to send me some pix to flesh out the story - basically, I did the driving and Phil did the shooting, so he has most of the pix I will need for the story.

That should pique your interest sufficiently to make you want to check back for the upcoming Saga of the Scroogie & Philippe Journey To Alberta, likely to be entitled "Travels With Pappy".

Keith

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1