YES -- we still shoot the messengers

Guest P38manCdn

Guest P38manCdn

I have visited a number of caches in the past two weeks and have identified a couple problems.

1 -- Found a cache placed against a Bell Canada switching box. Now this may seem innocent enough but given the heightened sensitivity regarding terrorists we need to be far more careful in selecting cache sites. Obviously, anyone poking around a telecommunnications swithing box is going to attract attention from the police. In similar fashion, next to telephone poles, hydro towers, transformer substations, bridges and tunnels, government and public buildings, gas pipelines, railroads and switches, ...to name a few. Police in the USA have deliberately blown up at least one cache close to a railroad tunnel entrance -- suspecting it was a bomb. The cache was clearly marked GEOCACHE with intructions. As well, forest rangers are treating caches as garbage and tossing them in dumpsters when they find them in parks and conservation areas. Is this what we want? ... a black eye for this sport while still in its infancy.

2 -- I have come across a couple caches so full of items you couldn't get anything more them. If you want people to trade items.. then you'll have to leave at least 30-40 percent of your cache empty so others can place items in it. Remember, the next two people to your cache may bring a hockey puck and a tennis ball -- things that take lots of space. I couldn't leave a 2" thick Tom Clancy novel at one cache, nor a travel bug, because the cache was jammed full, right to the top. "T-H-I-N-K" folks.

So... because of my remarks on the cache pages, one cache owner emails me saying he was visiting Canada and was in a hurry to place it before he left... he didn't realise the cache site could cause a problem with the police. Ok. The another cache owner emails me and says stop being so critical of other people's caches. Oh Really? Well, I think it's about time other people used a little common sense in this sport. And speaking of common sense... I see it's still fashionable to "shoot the messenger"... I'm the guilty one who hurriedly placed a cache next to a telecommunications switching box...NO! I'm the guilty one who placed so many items in the cache the lid barely closed...NO! and of course, I'm the guilty one who discovered these problems...YES! and I'm the guilty one who brought these problems to the attention of the cache owners...YES! Isn't it amazing that the people responsible are NOT... and the messenger is? ...so shoot the messenger!!!

Is it me... or is there something wrong with our society?

Yes... I could have emailed the owners of the caches and asked them to solve the problems in private. There are problably 3-4 other ways I could have gone about trying to solve the problems. But I didn't. I chose to post these problems on the cache pages as part of my find log. Why? So others could remember and learn from the advice. But apprarently this was also wrong. So it seems that everything I've done in regards to these two caches has been wrong... I was wrong to be first to find them, I was wrong to recognise there were problems, I was wrong to think I could inform others and help them learn, and I was wrong to inform the cache owners, I was wrong to log my find. Amazing! Therefore, I have removed my two finds from these logs. Happy caching folks.

Can't wait for someone to tell me I was wrong to post this here -- LOL.

Guest clatmandu

I'm grateful when a log tells me the cache is getting full. I usually don't visit mine for a month or two at a time, but if it's getting full, I take some of the stuff out to make more room. It also saves me a trip the the dollar store. icon_biggrin.gif

A cache by a telephone switch box, shows a lot of imagination, reminds me of NEPA Rich's cache on a whim find.

Guest clatmandu

I'm grateful when a log tells me the cache is getting full. I usually don't visit mine for a month or two at a time, but if it's getting full, I take some of the stuff out to make more room. It also saves me a trip the the dollar store. icon_biggrin.gif

A cache by a telephone switch box, shows a lot of imagination, reminds me of NEPA Rich's cache on a whim find.

Guest Ron Streeter

The tone in your post is obvious.

If I were to tell you to "T-H-I-N-K" about bringing along a small key chain fob,a flat packet of stickers, a nice ballpoint pen or similar small object, that WOULD fit in an overstuffed cache, would YOU be offended?

Holier-than-thou attitudes? "T-H-I-N-K !"

Ron (53 hidden/139 found)

Guest StudebakerHock

When you throw dirt, you lose ground.

"I couldn't leave a 2" thick Tom Clancy novel at one cache, nor a travel bug, because the cache was jammed full, right to the top. "T-H-I-N-K" folks."

Take 2 inches of books out, put your 2 inches worth in !! Hmmm , that might work !!

"Is it me... or is there something wrong with our society?"

Yes, on both counts, it is a shame that some people are very free with their opinions yet when confronted with a different opinion they deem it as an attack on their character. When in fact it is only an opinion and yes we know we all have them.

So far Geocaching has been a positive experience all around. Lets try and keep the negativity to a minimum.

"Yes... I could have emailed the owners of the caches and asked them to solve the problems in private. There are problably 3-4 other ways I could have gone about trying to solve the problems. But I didn't. "

A little courtesy goes a very long way, the approach you took was inviting conflict !Your comments on numerous logs read as somewhat insulting !

If you must speak ill of another, do not speak it. Write it in the sand near the waters edge. Quote: Napolean Hill

"I was wrong to recognise there were problems, I was wrong to think I could inform others and help them learn, and I was wrong to inform the cache owners"

GeoCaching Police ?

No thanx !!

"I was wrong to log my find. Amazing! Therefore, I have removed my two finds from these logs. Happy caching folks."

You are most welcome to log your finds in a courteous, conservative ,TRUELY Canadian fashion.

I do not disagree with any of your observations, however your approach lacks sensitivity.

We have all read your opinions in this public forum, these are mine !!

Cache ya L8tr

Studebaker

I thought geocaching was suppose to be a fun

"GAME" I did not know there was a standard size container?? Take it easy, or we may have to perform C.P.R. on ya icon_wink.gif

I would suggest taking some small items, medium sized items and some larger items with you when you geocache.... one never really knows what sized container, or how full it may be when we get there. I carry a fanny pack style bag ( I use it hunting, so it is rather large) I can hold a variety of items in it from stickers, to video tapes.. I just never know what I am going to leave in a cache icon_wink.gif

Happy Caching !

"ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING"

Sliver

Harry

I thought geocaching was suppose to be a fun

"GAME" I did not know there was a standard size container?? Take it easy, or we may have to perform C.P.R. on ya icon_wink.gif

I would suggest taking some small items, medium sized items and some larger items with you when you geocache.... one never really knows what sized container, or how full it may be when we get there. I carry a fanny pack style bag ( I use it hunting, so it is rather large) I can hold a variety of items in it from stickers, to video tapes.. I just never know what I am going to leave in a cache icon_wink.gif

Happy Caching !

"ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING"

Sliver

Harry

I'm going to say that giving P38manCdn crap for being a bit upset about having someone else give him crap is crappy!

What P38manCdn is basically saying is that when someone has a problem with their cache and a visitor posts a log entry saying so, the cache owner shouldn't take it personally and perhaps just say "thanks".

As for "THINK". I've come to the conclusion that most people (myself included sometimes) DON'T.

Personnally if I where P38manCdn I would have just took a couple of extra things out of the cache and put the book in and considered it a fair trade based on VOLUME and not item count!!!

(I've actually done that before with a full cache so there!!!)

The Total Intelligence of the Planet Earth is a Fixed Constant. The Population is Increasing.

------------------

MrCpu

mrcpu@myrealbox.com

Finds

Hides

Guest 300mag

A few different opinions: I also think the cache problem's should be reported to the owner. So far I didn't find any caches that where in a inappropriate place. Now that geocaching is getting a bit more popular some cacher's might stash some cache's in not too good places.This is why the cacher's stash note as some mention about this. I have found a few that where pretty full.I simply took whatever was taking the most space and replaced it with something smaller and noted it in the log. I like to read the logs . This helps to get some info about the cache . Size, placement, and condition. When placing a cache the owner should take care in finding an safe place to stash it and give adequate info like size etc.It is also wise to re-visit your cache to check it's condition like: wet log books condition of terrain etc...It is fun to find a cache . I enjoy stashing them and reading the logs. I do not think deleting your log is a good idea.So " Dont shoot the messenger". icon_wink.gif

Guest 300mag

A few different opinions: I also think the cache problem's should be reported to the owner. So far I didn't find any caches that where in a inappropriate place. Now that geocaching is getting a bit more popular some cacher's might stash some cache's in not too good places.This is why the cacher's stash note as some mention about this. I have found a few that where pretty full.I simply took whatever was taking the most space and replaced it with something smaller and noted it in the log. I like to read the logs . This helps to get some info about the cache . Size, placement, and condition. When placing a cache the owner should take care in finding an safe place to stash it and give adequate info like size etc.It is also wise to re-visit your cache to check it's condition like: wet log books condition of terrain etc...It is fun to find a cache . I enjoy stashing them and reading the logs. I do not think deleting your log is a good idea.So " Dont shoot the messenger". icon_wink.gif

Guest cliffy

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

So " Dont shoot the messenger". icon_wink.gif

Oh sure 300Mag! Yer just sayin' that 'cause your a mailman! LMAO!!!

But seriously, everyone needs to lighten' up a tad. Geocaching is all about fun after all. I'm probably going to add to this post but for now all I know is that it's 8:30pm, the weekend, I have no kids and that there are caches out there to be sought (at night of course.....hehehe) Smiles everyone!!!!!!

Cheers, cliffy icon_smile.gif

Guest cliffy

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

So " Dont shoot the messenger". icon_wink.gif

Oh sure 300Mag! Yer just sayin' that 'cause your a mailman! LMAO!!!

But seriously, everyone needs to lighten' up a tad. Geocaching is all about fun after all. I'm probably going to add to this post but for now all I know is that it's 8:30pm, the weekend, I have no kids and that there are caches out there to be sought (at night of course.....hehehe) Smiles everyone!!!!!!

Cheers, cliffy icon_smile.gif

Guest mrgigabyte

quote:
Originally posted by P38manCdn:

I couldn't leave a 2" thick Tom Clancy novel at one cache, nor a travel bug, because the cache was jammed full, right to the top. "T-H-I-N-K" folks..

All the more reason to have a few GeoCoins handy. They should squeeze into even the most crammed cache!

plug - end>

Guest cliffy

quote:
Originally posted by P38manCdn:

I couldn't leave a 2" thick Tom Clancy novel at one cache

dadgum!!! Was it "Sum of All Fears"???! I love that book and lost my copy...You could always leave it one of my caches!

Guest Seneca

s my two bits worth as to how I believe valid concerns and criticisms should be handled:

1. If your criticism is merely due to your own personal idiosyncrasy, that doesn?t have any effect on the sport as a whole, then nothing need to be said or done. If you?re not sure then raise it as an issue on the forums and see what others think.

2. If you feel that the cacher has really done something wrong that, if he/she continues to do it, will adversely affect the sport in the long run, then email him/her privately and as tactfully as possible (without being arrogant or condescending) and explain your concern.

3. If you feel that other players in general should be aware of your concern, then bring it up on this Forum as a general concern without naming any specific person or cache (just as P38manCdn has done here.... by the way, I do think that the specific concerns he raised are very valid and it was useful to me that he raised them in this thread).

4. If you feel that it is really necessary that subsequent searchers for a particular cache should be warned of your concerns then, with considerable trepidation, you should thoughtfully post these concerns on the log in the most tactful, non-critical manner as possible. Example: ? eek.gif Wow! I really enjoyed the view - had I known it was going to be a bathing suit optional beach I would have left the kids at home and enjoyed it even more!!?

I think that if you were to take the above approach, raising your concerns would be accepted for the intended purpose ? to keep Geocaching a fun sport for everyone. We can help each other to make sure it stays that way. There is really no need (and for myself, no desire) to get negative and critical in a manner that risks hurting feelings and causing anger. If you would rather take that risk, then don?t be surprised with the response.

If any one takes issue with my views on this topic - then take careful aim and shoot me (I?ll try not to duck!)

Was that your picture in the paper last week? The hat was a giveaway if it was. If so, you're to blame for me topping up my credit card on a spanky new Vista, delivered in less than 24 hours from a wonderful online store in Calgary. The news article was the last little incentive I needed to go buy me that GPS gizmo I'd been coveting for some time now. Thanks for the intro.

'Course, if it wasn't you, never mind. icon_smile.gif

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Was that your picture in the paper last week? The hat was a giveaway if it was. If so, you're to blame for me topping up my credit card on a spanky new Vista, delivered in less than 24 hours from a wonderful online store in Calgary. The news article was the last little incentive I needed to go buy me that GPS gizmo I'd been coveting for some time now. Thanks for the intro.

And that was our cache he was holding. It was an exciting day for me when a co-worker brought the article in. It was very cool to see an article about geocaching in our area but when I took a closer look at what P38 was holding in his hand - it was Timberframer's Delight! Made my day.

quote:
Originally posted by Balimbras:

And that was our cache he was holding. It was an exciting day for me when a co-worker brought the article in. It was very cool to see an article about geocaching in our area but when I took a closer look at what P38 was holding in his hand - it was Timberframer's Delight! Made my day.

quote:
Originally posted by Balimbras: