No GPS Signals today???

res2100

Did anyone in Southern Ontario go Geocaching today? I went from about 10am to 2pm EST and at most I got only 2 signals, but 90% of the time the GPS had no signals at all. We did manage to do and to find 3 caches without the use of the GPS, and a lot of guess work and luck, based on the cache descriptions and hints.

Well it certainly was a challenge and interesting to actually hunt for caches without a GPS today...might try it again one day.

I was caching from 10am to 4pm today - not SO but just over the border in Michigan. Had signals the whole time but the EPE was very variable. Found 7 but got skunked on the 8th - my first real DNF icon_rolleyes.gif. Hope I can blame the Northern Lights particularly since it was a cache placed by Northern-Lights himself - and there weren't any hints!

"If you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't much matter where you are." - Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass

Still not being able to get a signal even now (6pm), I decided to have a look at the troubleshooting section of the manual, and it suggested reinitializing the GPS, which I did. Then I entered my home coords and that quickly solved the problem and got a lock on the proper satelites.

When I left the house this morning after a few minutes the GPS told me I was in the North Atlantic, and then 10 minutes later it told me I was in Namibia (beside South Africa), which is where it stayed all day, and couldn't get a signal.

Today on the way home I stopped off for a cache, all was fine untill about 45 minutes into the drive from the cache, home. The GPS suddenly thought I was on S-25 wherever the heck that is and then a minute later though I was out in the middle of Lake Ontario, a few seconds later (say 10-15 seconds) it had me back in the correct spot.....

I will save the track log, wonder how fast I was driving??? icon_wink.gif

Team Happy face - DyverDown, Scubaweeble and The Ham Boy (It's a LONG story)

Team Happy Face said:

----------------------------------------------

I will save the track log, wonder how fast I was driving??? icon_wink.gif

----------------------------------------------

The "top speed" on my garmin somehow says "1874 KMH" It's been that way for a few months. I really don't want to erase it. It's fun to show the kids and tell them wierd stories about how it got that way... they're so gullible! icon_razz.gif

I've had a few "funnies" with the GPS unit in the last week too. Maybe the solar storms are disrupting the satellite's operations....

"MMMMMM....you guys gotta try these geocacher thingys, they taste just like chicken!"- Gentle Ben