WMer's mail account hacked?

If anyone has recently received a message purportedly from Don Morfe, please be aware that it is definitely a phishing expedition.

The culprit has apparently hacked the real Don Morfe's email client and stolen his address book. The fraudulent emails, which are asking for the recipient to spend $1,000 on Apple gift cards, have a hotmail address.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

Today I received an e-mail from a fellow waymarker, asking me to buy an Apple gift card in his name. On a webpage of Apple I read that this is a known scam. So, please be aware, if you receive a similar e-mail.

I won't tell the name of the waymarker, as it might be a coincidence and the waymarker might be completely innocent, but nevertheless I wanted to warn others.

Mine just said he needed help. 

On 8/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, PISA-caching said:

Today I received an e-mail from a fellow waymarker, asking me to buy an Apple gift card in his name. On a webpage of Apple I read that this is a known scam. So, please be aware, if you receive a similar e-mail.

I won't tell the name of the waymarker, as it might be a coincidence and the waymarker might be completely innocent, but nevertheless I wanted to warn others.

I'm quite sure Don is innocent here so I included his name in my [thread removed]. Was in a hurry and didn't realize Andreas had already done this one. He's REALLY on the ball! :)

If you should happen to reply, expect the following to ensue:

First email:

"Hi,
How's your day going ? I need your help with something
Let me know if you can help

Thanks,
Don
"

Second email:

" I am sorry to bother you with this mail, I need to get Apple gift card for my Niece, it's her birthday but I can't do this now because I'm currently traveling and I tried purchasing it online but unfortunately, I have no luck with that. Can you get it from any CVS , Walgreens, Walmart, Target or Safeway store around you? I'll pay back as soon as I am back. Kindly let me know if you can handle this. Await your soonest response.

Thanks,
Don
"

Third email:

"Thank you so much. The total amount needed is $1000, $500 denomination ($500*2) cards. You can get it from any store around you like the Walgreen, CVS or any other grocery store and I need you to open the envelope of the card to see the inner card then take a snap shot of the card back showing the Pin numbers then have the cards sent to me via email attachment so I would forward it to her.

I owe you,

Thanks,
Don
"

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

I received all the 3 mails and was suspicious and asked for his phone number and got the

Fourth email:

"I would have called you but I'm currently having a bad network reception as I'm on my way travelling so we can only communicate through email but never mind i will call you as well when it gets better over here. My phone number 951xxxxxxx

Thanks,
Don"

But 951 is Riverside County, California (not Don's area). And "I would have called you" was prove for me, that this isn't Don, because he doesn't even have my phone number.

I should have been suspicious from the start, because so far every email of Don started with "Andreas" and this one with "Hi". And the mail had normal font size, while Don's other mails have bigger font size. I will take more note of these things in the future.

Edited by PISA-caching

There may be a few here who got this message from Don this morning: (edited)

"ALL

I have been scammed in my COMCAST ACCOUNT and my email sent box was stolen. In addition all my emails sent to me at [addy] after August 5, 2022 at 11:30 AM went to the scammer at donmorfe@hotbox.com. (sic) THIS IS NOT ME.

So if you sent me an important email after that date please resend it to [addy]. Also use that email address until further notice.

If I had sent you an email in the last five years in my comcast account you most likely received the scam email saying I wanted help. I DO NOT NEED HELP-ALL IS WELL.

My suggestion to all is to clear out your sent box after a week or so and store them in an external drive if they are important.

Give me a call if you would like to discuss this further. XXX-XXX-XXXX

Don"
Edited by ScroogieII
  • Helpful 1
15 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I received all the 3 mails and was suspicious and asked for his phone number and got the

Fourth email:

"I would have called you but I'm currently having a bad network reception as I'm on my way travelling so we can only communicate through email but never mind i will call you as well when it gets better over here. My phone number 951xxxxxxx

Thanks,
Don"

But 951 is Riverside County, California (not Don's area). And "I would have called you" was prove for me, that this isn't Don, because he doesn't even have my phone number.

I should have been suspicious from the start, because so far every email of Don started with "Andreas" and this one with "Hi". And the mail had normal font size, while Don's other mails have bigger font size. I will take more note of these things in the future.

Strange. I'm currently living in the 951 region for school. I know Don is in the Baltimore area, with a 410 area code. Luckily, I haven't received any strange messages from Don. And I agree, every time he has messaged me, he has addressed me directly. A simple "hi" is out of the ordinary. I hope Don has this all sorted out.

3 hours ago, bluesnote said:

Strange. I'm currently living in the 951 region for school. I know Don is in the Baltimore area, with a 410 area code. Luckily, I haven't received any strange messages from Don. And I agree, every time he has messaged me, he has addressed me directly. A simple "hi" is out of the ordinary. I hope Don has this all sorted out.

The likely explanation for your not having received the email(s) is "messaged". Messaged would have come from Waymarking, whereas emailed would have come from his compromised email client.

Keith