Etrex Yellow, price and ease of use?

MedicP1

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have been approched by a local Scout Leader who knows I Geocache and has asked me to set up something for his troop to introduce them to GPSrs and orienteering. I only have one MAG 315 and needed some other units to make it feesable and interesting for the whole group. I have found 2 Etrex Yellow (basic models with quad antennas) for $100 Canadian ea. tax included.

Firstly is this a good price, as I will be out of pocket, for them?

Second, are these units easy to use/teach to a group of scout age boys? I feel the guys will get disheartened if they are to problematic, which is obviously not the impression I want to leave about GPSrs and geocaching with this troop.

If this goes well I will approach some other groups (ie. Guides, Cubs, Schools, etc.) and see if they are interested in doing something like this with their respective groups.

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

$100.00 sounds like a good deal. I Have taught 2 Scout troops on the basic etrex and had no problems I have also had them find the caches using just a map and compass. One thing you could look for is a video on the etrex, try your library. Happy caching icon_biggrin.gif

Work Smarter, Not Harder!

I have been using a Yellow eTrex for a year and a half, and it is a very reliable and easy to use little unit. $100 is a great price for one as well.

I lent my yellow eTrex out to a local scout leader who wanted to try this "geocaching thing". I spent about 5 minutes with the leader going over the basic operation of the unit. The scout troup had a blast hunting down the geocache, and actually raised money to buy their own GPS unit (an eTrex yellow no less).

The only thing that is a little bit tricky with the eTrex is the method for entering coordinates. However, once you get the hang of it, you will find out why the eTrex is consistently rated one of the easiest units to learn and use.

Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by MedicP1:

...I have found 2 Etrex Yellow (basic models with quad antennas) for $100 Canadian ea. tax included...

All The eTrex models I have seen have a Patch antenna, not a quad. Is there an eTrex with a quad?

My eTrex basic is very easy to use even without the cable, but get the cable, just get it.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

All The eTrex models I have seen have a Patch antenna, not a quad. Is there an eTrex with a quad?

Martmann I don't know for sure that it is a quad or a patch. I don't remember where I got that from, I think it said it picked up 12 SATS, and I assumed that that would make it a quad. The shop keeper said it was the yellow eTrex that was the most basic (ie. no maps, etc). I am not that versed on the various units...yet!!!

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

quote:
Originally posted by MedicP1:

Martmann I don't know for sure that it is a quad or a patch. I don't remember where I got that from, I think it said it picked up 12 SATS, and I assumed that that would make it a quad. The shop keeper said it was the yellow eTrex that was the most basic (ie. no maps, etc). I am not that versed on the various units...yet!!!

The eTrex Yellow definitely uses a patch antenna, but that really has nothing to do with how many birds it can pull in (12). It would be great if it had a quad antenna as the patch antenna is the weakest part of what is otherwise a great unit.

I would only add that I initially compared eTrex yellow against the next one up - eTrex Venture. I went with the Venture. Sometime later a friend asked me to help them with their new 'yellow', and I was quite put off with how awkward it is to enter coordinates and text. Believe me, the Click Stick is vastly much easier to use. The other big differences is the crude blocky graphics of the 'yellow' vs the much higher resolution graphics of any other eTrex.