Using own mysteries to create new one

1 hour ago, Keystone said:

See the Help Center article on Bonus Caches.  Be sure to avoid "Daisy Chaining."  A Bonus Cache cannot lead to a second Bonus Cache.

The page you linked is about Bonus caches, which use clues placed in prerequisite caches. 

I think this user is interested in creating a bonus that only requires you to have solved a set of prerequisite caches; not found them (a "meta-puzzle.") The Master of Mystery puzzles that are around the world are a great example of this. 

Edited by Hügh
9 minutes ago, Hügh said:

Master of Mystery

I'll add that one of my frustrations with MoM puzzles is that sometimes the creators do not ask the owners of the prerequisite puzzle caches for permission. In at least one case, it led to https://coord.info/GLW37RD4.

In this case however it sounds like the CO wants to use their own puzzles, so I take no issue. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Hügh said:

I think this user is interested in creating a bonus that only requires you to have solved a set of prerequisite caches; not found them (a "meta-puzzle.") The Master of Mystery puzzles that are around the world are a great example of this. 

I have a GIFF series like this, with 2 "bonus" caches. One requiring finding all the cache, the other requiring solving them (the only way to get the 2nd one published).  Since all the puzzle info and details needed to solve the puzzle are referenced or linked from the description, it's allowable; no additional task required, just 1 puzzle to solve. (well, after solving all the others in the series as well :))

9 hours ago, aakerbeere said:

Do the Geocaching rules allow me to use mysteries I created myself before to create a new one, such as for example "You will need to know the Finals Coordinates of GC..... and GC....." to resolve this one?

thx for helping

I did that once.  I once made a seven puzzle series where the finders had to find the first six puzzle cache finals to get the seventh.  The final puzzle required the six final coordinates plus use of each of six values found in the final cache containers.  Link is here: https://coord.info/GC62D9P

Been a while since I read that Bonus cache article. Nice illustrations.

Lost is the old article info, something about generally owning all of the clue caches.  Also, the first sentence is a bit literal, ie, "find clues in other caches."  Clues on other cache pages is fine.   Clues on/from other archived pages is really good, given that they can't be altered. 

Favorite bonus I've found required using 4 specific sets of stage coords from a multi, and mapping the diagonal criss cross, corner to corner.  Cache was at the intersection.

Thx folx

I got it.

I will use the solutions (final coordinates) of some of my own previously published puzzles to create a new one. No need to have found them actually.

Disadvantage: If changes apply to the related puzzles, the depending one also needs to be changed.

thx for the hints.

Edited by aakerbeere
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, aakerbeere said:

Disadvantage: If changes apply to the related puzzles, the depending one also needs to be changed.

The easy solution instead of reworking the puzzle is just to indicate an offset in the bonus puzzle for any adjusted component coordinates.

• Upvote 1