Ignored caches now appearing in searches

Deepdiggingmole

For a long time I have had a list of caches that i do not want to appear in searches and these were placed in a list called 'Ignore' - most being caches that I adopted out due to moving out of an area. As I didn't want to see them on any searches for that area when I go back, from time to time I stuck them in the ignore list. Up until very recently all of those caches in that list did not appear in any searches 

However in the last couple of weeks I have noted that these caches are now appearing in searches - I have checked the search filter page and there is no box to tick for any 'ignored' caches 

So why is it that these caches are now appearing in searches when the whole point of the ignore list was that they shouldn't (see below, I think I have found out why) 

** Note - I am aware there is now an 'ignore list' tab alongside the 'My lists' and 'Favourites' tabs in the Lists section of the profile - and this is empty (which probably answers my first query)

Surely when this tab was created - shouldn't the list of caches in the original 'ignore' list have been transferred over - I have had a look and i can not see how to move that list of caches over to this tab - does that mean I have to manually enter ALL those caches again ?? - or is there a simpler way 

Tim 

ignored.jpg

30 minutes ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

Surely when this tab was created - shouldn't the list of caches in the original 'ignore' list have been transferred over

Mine has a list of ignored caches and I haven't used that feature in years, that I can recall. I didn't transfer anything.

Edited by Max and 99
6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Mine has a list of ignored caches and I haven't used that feature in years, that I can recall. I didn't transfer anything.

Additionally - it is possible that you had an original ignore list (like I have) and that list of caches transferred over without you being aware (which is how you'd have thought it should be) 

9 minutes ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

Additionally - it is possible that you had an original ignore list (like I have) and that list of caches transferred over without you being aware (which is how you'd have thought it should be) 

I don't get the transfer reference. It's the same list. Clearly I'm not understanding. 

OK - I think I may have got to the bottom of it 
A couple of weeks ago I was 'cleaning' out my lists (caching trips already completed etc) and i noted there were 2 'Ignore' lists - I noted one had a couple more than the other but essentially these were the same - so i deleted the one with more in as the other was up to date (archived caches removed etc) 

I now think that when the new ignored caches' Tab was created it took those caches from the original ignore list but in the process a secondary list was created from that - In deleting that second list this then removed all the caches from the tab list 

So whoever may be reading this you may also find that if you had created an ignore list years ago - you might find you actually have 2 ignore lists - be careful which one you delete 

I have just had to re-populate the ignored caches tab (which I was trying to avoid) in order that they do not appear on my searches 

1 hour ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

For a long time I have had a list of caches that i do not want to appear in searches and these were placed in a list called 'Ignore' -

There's a big difference between lists that you create of geocaches you want to ignore, and the auto generated list that is created when you click the ignore option at the top right of a geocache page. You have referenced two ignore lists, which means at least one is a bookmark list?

The only geocaches on the automated ignore list are the ones that you click to ignore. 

Screenshot_20220802-123847.png

• Upvote 1
On 8/2/2022 at 6:43 PM, Max and 99 said:

There's a big difference between lists that you create of geocaches you want to ignore, and the auto generated list that is created when you click the ignore option at the top right of a geocache page. You have referenced two ignore lists, which means at least one is a bookmark list?

The only geocaches on the automated ignore list are the ones that you click to ignore. 

An interesting point - because I had not created two seperate lists through clicking on the ignore or creating a bookmark - as I will have only done one of those. I believe the auto generated list when clicking the ignore button was how my original 'Ignore' list was put together and I added to that over the years - I did not then create a second bookmark list as I had already got one in place. As I mentioned above I think what has happened is that a second list somehow was created when the 'ignore Tab' was devised - it seems to have taken what was in my already established ignore list to put together a set of caches under that tab and then for some reason a second list also called ignore was formed. 

When I discoved the two lists both called ignore (before I realised there was the ignore tab) I got rid of one as they were duplicating each other - but it seems i got rid of the newly formed list which in turn then deleted all the caches in the ignore tab 

Are you still with me.......

Additionally where my original ignore list was what was used to stop those caches from appearing in searches - when the new tab was devised that moved that function to the new ignore list (in bookmarks) and by my deleting that new list, keeping my old list - this meant all those caches then appeared in my searches again 

Edited by Deepdiggingmole