Adventure Lab in North Korea

Crazedllama

Hello, I am the geocaching community volunteer translator for the Korean language. I live in South Korea.

There appears to be a French geocacher who has created an AL in Pyongyang against Geocaching, Adventure Lab, and regional guidelines. There are also a multitude of obvious spoofers who have logged it. I have reported the AL. I would like to ask others to report this AL as well to make sure that it is deleted by HQ. Thanks

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3
  • Surprised 2
  • Helpful 1

Also, for an ALC you need mobile internet access. I don't know, if the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_in_North_Korea is completely up to date, but it says:

Prior to January 2013, foreigners had to surrender their phones at the border crossing or airport before entering the country, but with the availability of local SIM cards this policy is no longer in place. Internet access, however, is only available to resident foreigners and not tourists.

And there is an ALC guideline, which says: "Make sure all Locations require players to physically visit Adventure Locations." It's pretty obvious, that the NK ALC is designed for armchair logging.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

Maybe a stupid question, but I have never created an ALC so I don't know: Is there no review process similar to that for geocaches when it comes to ALC creation? If there is, how could this ALC slip through that process?

There is no review process for ALs.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Screenshot_20220802-141920.png

This guideline is about Geocaching. Now we are talking about Adventude Labbing. :cool:

2 hours ago, baer2006 said:

with the availability of local SIM cards this policy is no longer in place

That makes using non linear Adventure Labs possible in the offline mode. The player can answer questions after leaving the country if visited coordinates.

2 hours ago, baer2006 said:

It's pretty obvious, that the NK ALC is designed for armchair logging.

Yes, it is obvious. It is using multiple choice questions thus rendering this "Make sure all Locations require players to physically visit Adventure Locations." requirement pretty absurd. But this is not the only ALC made for armchair logging, if too easy answers are the criteria.

Edited by arisoft
On 8/1/2022 at 10:36 PM, Crazedllama said:

There appears to be a French geocacher who has created an AL in Pyongyang against Geocaching, Adventure Lab, and regional guidelines. There are also a multitude of obvious spoofers who have logged it. I have reported the AL. I would like to ask others to report this AL as well to make sure that it is deleted by HQ.

If Groundspeak wants to get serious about stopping this kind of nonsense the account that placed this lab and every account that logged it should be banned.

• Helpful 2