Geocaching T-Shirts in Canada?

Guest Shebanb

Guest Shebanb

I want to buy a couple of Geocaching T-Shirts, but when I click on Canada on the order page it says they do not deliver to Canada, even though at one place on the order page it says they do. I have tried writing to the Geocaching team 3 times and have not received an answer yet. Anybody out there been able to order a shirt yet? If so, how can I get one?

Guest donovano

I ordered (and recieved) a T-Shirt several months back. Jeremy charged me the cost of the shirt plus shipping to Canada but he had to so it himself and I think he gets pretty busy. It would probably simplify things if one person ordered several and then re-distributed them. Anybody volunteer to be the centrel co-ordinator?

Donovan

Guest mrgigabyte

quote:
Originally posted by donovano:

I ordered (and recieved) a T-Shirt several months back.

Did you get dinged for any GST, PST or duty?

quote:
It would probably simplify things if one person ordered several and then re-distributed them. Anybody volunteer to be the centrel co-ordinator?

I am thinking about it. But would be economical since there would now be 2 shipping charges?

Guest donovano

I did have to pay GST/PST unfortunatly. As to the double shpping cost, the expensive part was the shipping to Canada. It was the same to ship two shirts as to ship one (five would probably raise the cost though) as they are not heavy. Once you enter the parcel range, the cost does not increase a lot with weight. Sending multiple shirts in one package from the states (where the highest expense is) would probably compensate for the double shipping. This is just my guess, someone would have to find out the exact shipping costs for single and multiple shirts from Jeremy.

Guest mrgigabyte

I may be prepared to take this on. I take your orders, get a total order price (inc shipping from Jeremy), prorate that cost per order, convert to $CA, add PST & GST (that's 7 & 7 here in BC), add ExpressPost charge (I think most things could be jammed into an Expresspost Regional envelopes for under 10 bucks), then bill each orderer their part on their VISA. I would also have to add 4%, because that is what I pay Visa for my merchant account. This is where the double shipping charge I was inquiring about came from. To be economical, (to distribute the effect of the first shipping charge from the US) I would think I would have to place a fairly substantial order. Anyone have any thoughts?

Any idea that gets me some Geocaching gear in Canada is a good one, but I have certain reservations about giving anyone my VISA number.

I'd suggest money orders would be the better route.

If this were done, you'd also have to get all the orders in advance, because I wouldn't be too please if I had to wait for one person to send you money so that the main order could be placed.

e="Verdana, Arial">quote:

Originally posted by mrgigabyte:

To be economical, (to distribute the effect of the first shipping charge from the US) I would think I would have to place a fairly substantial order. Anyone have any thoughts?

Assuming you put together a substantial order then shipping costs from US to Vancouver would be negligible on a per unit basis(a 10 lbs. carton via UPS is approx. $25 to $35 Cdn). However now we have the cost to ship from Vancouver to wherever in Canada on an individual basis which would probably negate any savings realized on the US to Vancouver leg. On top of that is all the work you would end up doing. Very admirable of you to volunteer.

I hope something can be worked out. It would be great to find a hat & shirt under the Christmas tree. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Happy Caching, Olar

"if you come to a fork in the trail, then take it!"

e="Verdana, Arial">quote:

To be economical, (to distribute the effect of the first shipping charge from the US) I would think I would have to place a fairly substantial order. Anyone have any thoughts?

Assuming you put together a substantial order then shipping costs from US to Vancouver would be negligible on a per unit basis(a 10 lbs. carton via UPS is approx. $25 to $35 Cdn). However now we have the cost to ship from Vancouver to wherever in Canada on an individual basis which would probably negate any savings realized on the US to Vancouver leg. On top of that is all the work you would end up doing. Very admirable of you to volunteer.

I hope something can be worked out. It would be great to find a hat & shirt under the Christmas tree. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Happy Caching, Olar

"if you come to a fork in the trail, then take it!"

Guest mrgigabyte

quote:
I'd suggest money orders would be the better route.

The reason I suggest Visa is two fold. First, I own a web hosting company (www.imaginet.ca). ALL our billing for services is done through Visa. This is the merchant account I would bill under. Secondly, I though if I used Visa rather than a money order, I wouldn't bill you until I re-shipped the goods. Also, this way I don't have the extra hassle of calculating the prorated portion for each person, then emailing them the price, then waiting for them to get me a money order, which may or may not arrive. This way, if you change your mind, I am out the initial funds (paid to Jeremy), but I think I could sell whatever is left fairly easily to another cacher. I am flexible on this if money orders are preferred.

quote:
If this were done, you'd also have to get all the orders in advance

Agreed. I would propose to send out emails to all the local cachers around Vancouver. Easy enough to get their email address by reading the logs of local caches. I would ask them if they want in. I would hope each of you would do the same thing. Then I would set a deadline of the end of the month for orders. Then fire it off in one shot.

quote:
Very admirable of you to volunteer.

dadgum it! I want a hat, and I want it now. Also, those compass keychains would make an excellent treasure to leave in a cache. Let me know if we are on to a workable plan here.

Guest donovano

OK,

I have an e-mail off to find out how much it would cost have some items sent up. I'm thinking of starting with 10 shirts (1-S, 1-M, 3-L and 5-XL), a few stickers and a couple of ball caps. If people are interested in these or anything else, let me know and I will see if I can arrange this. I would then send it out to people at cost. I don't deal with Visa, so payments would have to be either cheques or money orders but I am a trusting sole so I'm sure we can work it out.

Donovan

I'm not in BC, but I'd be interested in getting a few things as well. Those window stickers would also make good cache items. Also, I have access to a PO Box in Washington State with the goods being brought up to Vernon, BC. That could maybe save us some money? Not sure what duty & brokerage is on clothing... Paypal could also be another way to send money? Any thoughts?

------------------

Gilles

Guest mrgigabyte

I am expecting my first order to arrive any day now. I got a two tone cap, a bunch of compass keychains. Jeremy ran out of keychains so he substituted his new Travel Bug instead. The shipping was $8.00 US. I asked Jeremy to mail it in a plain envelope with a residential to residential address. Hopefully it will sneak by the border patrol and I will avoid duty and GST. I'll post a new message if I do get slapped with any customs charges. Oh, if Revenue Canada & Customs reads this forum, I live in Whitehorse. :-)

Guest thibaug

quote:

I am expecting my first order to arrive any day now.

Did you order through the web site or did you talk to him directly? I've sent a few emails but didn't get any response... :-(

Gilles

Guest mrgigabyte

illed $65.85 CDN.

PROBLEM #4

A week passes, then 2, then 3. No package. I email Jeremy and he advised the package was returned to him because of Customs Declaration problem. He reships it.

PROBLEM #5

Another week, then another. Still no package. I call Customs and Canadapost. They advise mail should take 5 working days. I am getting a little paniced and call Jeremy directly. He too is very concerned and assured me that they would get me another order. He advised the shipping was a lot more than the $8 as well. (Turns out it was $13.40 US for 12 ounces)

PROBLEM #6

I call PayPal just incase I need to cancel the order. They have a form you must fill in if you have a complaint about a purchase. The problem is the form MUST be submitted within 30 days of the purchase. I have missed the deadline by a week!

PROBLEM #7

I am more than a little choked at this point with the customer service rep at PayPal. I explain that the order may have taken 3 weeks to get here even if everything went right. Only a month deadline to file a claim is ludicrous is say. She assures me that is the policy but adds that since I do not live in the US, that the claim would be ignored anyway. Turns put if you do not live in the US and your purchase goods through PayPay, you no avenue to seek a refund.. even one day after the purchase!

PROBLEM #8

Today my order arrives. My friendly posty advises that I can have my long awaited Geocahing cap as soon as I write him a cheque for $11.84. I seems Customs wants their GST and PST. They did not charge me any duty, BUT there is a $5.00 handling fee even though they never opened the package. So much for Free Trade!

All told, My $15 cap and compasses cost me $74.69 CDN.

Anyone else ready to place an order? Next... now serving number 2. :-)

Guest a_calder

I just came back from Salt Lake City on a business trip, bringing back some clothes that I had purchased online from an American distributor. I ordered them while I was at home (in Vancouver, BC) and had the 'Ship To:' address indicate the hotel I was staying in with 'Hold for Guest'.

When I arrived at the hotel, there was my order! Because I was there a week, I was allowed to bring back about $300 worth of stuff duty free.

What we need is someone who will be going on a business/pleasure trip to the states in the near future that will be staying for a few days. Simply order the goods in advance and have them shipped to your hotel marked 'Hold for Guest'.

Once back in Canada (safe because the items are exempt from Duty & Taxes), the items are shipped out to the people who were in on the order.

Anyone taking a trip anytime soon?

Alistair