state/provincial flags

Hi,

I wanted to submit the flag of the Dutch province of Utrecht, but I couldn't submit it at municipal flags, because they clearly state that flags of US states or similar political entities can't be submitted. Flags of organisations only accepts flags of non-political entities. It seems that there is a gap for a new category. I suggest making a new category with the same rules of the flags of organisations, which means one entry per flag, visits to other locations with the same flag accepted. What do you thinks about this idea?

35 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

In my opinion, 

way too prevalent.

That. Exactly.

I know that there are a lot of countries where this does not apply, some do not even have regional flags. Still, we need to consider the densest area to prevent a mess created by reckless number huntig waymarkers. And the US is not even extreme. When there, I saw quite a lot of state flags, but this was only a tiny fraction of what I am used to at home.

• Upvote 1

I'd say that Flags of the world could be the category you are looking for. To quote the expanded description:

This category accepts flags of:

• Countries (current and former)
  • States/Provinces (as long as they are the largest subdivision of a sovereign country)

Alas, it might be a bit difficult to find the needed four flags of other provinces beside the one you mentioned as this is another requirement ... .

I didn't know that flags of the world also accepts state/provincial flags, thanks familiefrohne. It's really difficult i've found to find multiple flags together. I agree that the flags of states and provinces are prevalent. Maybe it's a good idea to limit the category to one particular state/provincial flag per state/province:

If the flag of Texas/Utrecht is already waymarked in the state Texas/Utrecht, I should visit the existing waymark. If I find one in a different state/province, for example Wisconsin/Zeeland, which would be a rare find, I can make another waymark of the flag.

• Surprised 1
52 minutes ago, Becktracker said:

I didn't know that flags of the world also accepts state/provincial flags, thanks familiefrohne. It's really difficult i've found to find multiple flags together. I agree that the flags of states and provinces are prevalent. Maybe it's a good idea to limit the category to one particular state/provincial flag per state/province:

If the flag of Texas/Utrecht is already waymarked in the state Texas/Utrecht, I should visit the existing waymark. If I find one in a different state/province, for example Wisconsin/Zeeland, which would be a rare find, I can make another waymark of the flag.

This would be an option if the officers had technical support to follow such rules.

They don't. The Waymarking site is not equipped to deal with non-unique subjects in different locations (more than half a mile away, this is).

Becktracker, Flags of Organizations 

"This group will seek out and record examples of flags that represent organizations, corporations, institutions, businesses, agencies, or any other group that is not a political/governmental division. Only ONE example of any specific flag will be accepted into the category." 

14 hours ago, Becktracker said:

an officer should be able to determine if there is a duplicate state/provincial flag

As in this case of  Flags of Organizations, a alphabetic search should yield a reasonable result to determine duplicates, however if the title begins with Flag, flagpole or vlag there are approximately 32 examples. I did find 2 duplicates, reviewed by two different officers. the other the same officer. There was one triplicate.

This is a challenge, there has to be very strict naming requirements.

Addressing the issue of "way too prevalent."

If the state/provincial flag proposal is limited to only one approved waymark then too prevalent should not be an issue.

If you include territories and country flags then Canada has 10 provinces, 3 territories and 1 country flag = 14

United States has 50 states if you include DC (which is not a state) and include 1 country flag = 52
Currently, the United States has five major U.S. territories: American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Each such territory is partially self-governing that exists under the authority of the U.S. government.
Even if you include the 5 territories the total is now 57.

Mexico has 32 federal entities: 31 states and the capital, Mexico City, as a separate entity without being formally a state. If you include the country flag total 33.

North America (including the country flag)
Canada - 14
USA - 57
Mexico - 33
Total: 104 waymarks

• Helpful 1

It seems to me that limiting it to one waymark per state/territory/country would make it very difficult for some waymarkers to contribute to the category.  Your example of Canada only being able to have 14 approved waymarks in the category would mean that once the 14 have been posted, the only option is to visit the waymarks, which might require travelling long distances to get to the nearest one in such a large country.  

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, jonathanatpsu said:

It seems to me that limiting it to one waymark per state/territory/country would make it very difficult for some waymarkers to contribute to the category.  Your example of Canada only being able to have 14 approved waymarks in the category would mean that once the 14 have been posted, the only option is to visit the waymarks, which might require travelling long distances to get to the nearest one in such a large country.  

If the state/provincial flag proposal  allowed more than one waymark, then we are back where we started "way too prevalent.""

As an example British Columbia has approximately 162 municipalities and 52 cities. British Columbia has 10 major cities: Abbotsford, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Delta, Kelowna, 

Langley Township, Richmond, Saanich, Surrey and Vancouver.  Throughout Canada every government office proudly displays their provincial flag, also consider businesses that display a provincial flag.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

This is a challenge, there has to be very strict naming requirements.

With regard to the above, the naming requirement must be that the title of the Waymark be: Name of state/province - Country - - - - and nothing more.

This allows officers to quickly do an alphabetical search for duplicates.

As well, limiting the submissions to one per state/province and one per country is the only sensible way to go, otherwise over prevalence will ensue.

Keith

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, jonathanatpsu said:

Jona, I think the rules are gonna be like 'flags of organisations' . If you find a state flag in you home town which has been posted already, you can post a visit to the existing waymark with extra coordinates added. 

Your comment about some waymarkers can't contribute is a good one,  that's why I propsed to allow a waymark of for example the flag of Texas in multiple states, one per state/province. But even if 1 waymark of a particular state flag is allowed, I see there are about 2000+ opportunities worldwide.

The comment of scroogie that the naming has to be exact is a good one

3 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

ith regard to the above, the naming requirement must be that the title of the Waymark be: Name of state/province - Country - - - - and nothing more.

Further to the above, to aid officers in their search for duplicate submissions, the Name in the Title must always be the proper name of the state/department/canton/province (etc.) as defined and spelled by its native country. One who travels abroad must always use the name and spelling as defined by the country of residence of the region, and NOT a translation to the native language of the Waymarker, should one exist.

Keith

2 hours ago, Becktracker said:

that's why I propsed to allow a waymark of for example the flag of Texas in multiple states, one per state/province

Explain this to me...

If I am understanding this correctly, if I find a flag of Texas in California I can waymark it? 

Are you sure you want to go there?

Edited by T0SHEA
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Becktracker said:

Your example of Canada only being able to have 14 approved waymarks in the category would mean that once the 14 have been posted, the only option is to visit the waymarks, which might require travelling long distances to get to the nearest one in such a large country.  

Visiting a waymark is very different then posting a submission. As an example: U-Haul SuperGraphics only allow one submission per design on either a truck or trailer, however you can visit that particular waymark anywhere in the world. 

U-Haul TR: Grand Island, NE Visits  (45 visits)

U-Haul TR: America - United We Stand - Washington, D.C. Visits   (47 visits)

So if a British Columbia, Canada (flag) approved  located in Kelowna, BC and you find that same flag in Vancouver, you can still VISIT it.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

This is the 3th idea I suggested lately which seems category worthy (the other two are 3d printed buildings and pancake restaurants). After my birthday late in august I will problaby become a premium member. I have no problems with someone taking this idea or one of the others and making it into a category. If you're willing toshea you can spearhead this category. You seem to be exited by the idea and have the most practical way of handling the idea. I would like to create 2 out of 3 categories myself in september though.

The multiple states-post idea is maybe not so great... I like to add that the flag needs to be waymarked in the state/country it represents. Otherwise someone can 'grab' all the coutries at the united nations building or something similar.

Edited by Becktracker
  • Surprised 1
2 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

After doing some preliminary research I realized that not all counties are divided into states or provinces. Some others are cantons, departments, parishes, governorates, etc.

There are numerous Administrative divisions. (these are NOT to be confused the towns, cities, municipalities, communities, etc.)

A rose by any other name...

Cantons, departments, parishes, governorates, etc. are the administrative equivalents of states or provinces, so no problem there.

Officers of the proposed category only need to be aware of the administrative level of the entity submitted in order to ascertain its admissibility. Again, no problem, beyond a category officer's obligation to become intimately familiar with the administrative structure of some 200+ countries.

No problem... ... BUT I understand there's more than one Wiki for that. EX: Wiki1 - - - Wiki2

Then there's the wind, or lack thereof.:wacko:

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
8 hours ago, Becktracker said:

This is the 3th idea I suggested lately which seems category worthy (the other two are 3d printed buildings and pancake restaurants). After my birthday late in august I will problaby become a premium member. I have no problems with someone taking this idea or one of the others and making it into a category. If you're willing toshea you can spearhead this category. You seem to be exited by the idea and have the most practical way of handling the idea. I would like to create 2 out of 3 categories myself in september though.

The multiple states-post idea is maybe not so great... I like to add that the flag needs to be waymarked in the state/country it represents. Otherwise someone can 'grab' all the coutries at the united nations building or something similar.

Back to the important stuff...

The Pancake Restaurants proposal I'm definitely in favour of, possibly because of my history with and pleasant memories thereof.

3D Printed Buildings are an inevitable feature of our future, so why should we ignore them? In their formative years, there are sure to be some truly newsworthy examples which occur often, whether they be architecturally significant or utter failures.

Hence, this could well promise to be a category sure to drag all of us, kicking and screaming, into the twenty first century.

Should you want help with either, just give me a shout. I'm unwilling to assume leadership in either, but officer ship, or simply aiding in category creation, I'm quite willing to undertake.

... ... ... "After my birthday" ... ... ... What?!?!?! :blink: :wacko: :D At present you're TOO YOUNG to achieve full membership??? Had no idea there was such a requirement! :D

In any event, I'm now looking forward (with appropriate trepidation) to September, in spite if its being a harbinger of fall/autumn, which is ofttimes followed by, OH GAWD - Winter!

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
Posted (edited)

I'm waiting on some money or gifts to pay the 30 euro membership fee, as we have to budget ourselves due to an impending vacation (and home renovation).

I think the category state/provincial/national flags is more clear than world flags multifarious, as the last one is bound to give everybody some headbreakers. There is also a state/provincial parks category so why no state/provincial/national flags?

The first wiki list suggested by Keith is a good basic guideline. There are some exeptions though like Belgium and the Netherlands where the provinces are at the second level of administration or Iceland or the Marshall Islands, where the first level of administration clearly has a municipal character (and there is already a municipal flags category). Do the 'regions' of England count (if they even have an own flag?). Certainly a good idea to supply the wiki list in the category description.

To sum up the agreed requirements:

-One waymark per state/province or country flag

-Name the waymark like this: Native state/province/country name - city, country ie Texas - Dallas, United States or Utrecht - Rhenen, the Netherlands

-The flag has to be photographed in the state/province/country it represents

-If the flag has been posted already, visits can be made from all over the world with added coordinates if the same flag is encountered.

Some other things we haven't discussed yet (but surely agree)

-Three photo's, at least a clear view of the flag (at least all the colours and symbols have to be distingable), where the flag takes up most of the picture. This is gonna be the default waymark picture. A picture of the flagpole or standard and a picture of the environment.

-Just standard flags, no shields, banners of bumper stickers. 

-A description of the flag and the respresented region in the long description

-Only current state/province/national flags accepted.

PS: Off-topic but funny; this category is gonna be quite fun for a waymarker in Uganda, as there are for some reason 139 districts and one national flag...

Edited by Becktracker
On 8/4/2022 at 10:25 AM, Becktracker said:

Do the 'regions' of England count (if they even have an own flag?)

Depends on how pedantic you want to be...

We have, at the top of the list the  UK with the Union Flag (Often called the Union Jack)

England, Scotland, and Wales, have their own flag. (Of their patron saint) - Northern Ireland may be considered as part of the UK. It IS, but GS have it as part of Ireland...

Each County has its own flag. (Discussion as to which boundaries you use, historic or 'new')

Each District may have its own flag.

I live in a town, which does have its own flag, a lot of towns dont.

Lowest level of governance is Parish Council, most dont have a flag.*

*Whilst I live in a town, the governance level is that of a Parish Council, with a little bit 'extra' due to 'reasons'!