Calibrating maps

Jippy_

Hallo folks,

I'm new to GPS, which means I've been spending most of my time trying to learn the capabilities of the unit.

I have a question though. In a previous thread, PDOP said this:

If you don't want to take the time to download and calibrate the toporama maps sheets there is another option. The maps are available on CD from a private individual with calibrations for Ozi or FUGAWI.

Is it difficult to calibrate the maps? I don't want to spend the money on software like Fugawi just yet, so I don't mind trying out the freeware alternatives. However, I have no experience with GPS or maps whatsoever, so even though it's cheap, I might be getting in over my head. I don’t mind trying, but if it’s something better suited to people who have lots of experience in such things, I might be better off just purchasing the software.

Thanks,

=-Jippy

No it's not difficult just tedious. It usually involves assigning coordinates to two or more points. This can by picking the points with a mouse or by entering the pixel coodinates, then assigning a latitude and longitude to the point.

If you're only interested in a few map sheets for your local area then manual calibration should be fine. The Toporama works sheets will work fine with GPS Trackmaker with manual calibrations.

PDOP's GPS Pages

Hi Jippy. Welcome to the world of GPS and in particular Geocaching. As you get into the sport/hobby you will want to view your waypoints, routes, and tracks on maps displayed on your PC(not necessary to enjoy Geocaching by the way). In order to do this you must have a mapping software program installed. You mentioned two of the best, Fugawi and OziExplorer. Once you have downloaded waypoints etc. from your GPSR to PC then you choose which map to display them on. As an example Fugawi also sell digital maps for use with its own software. They would already be calibrated so that waypoints will show at the correct location. The other alternative is to use maps from another source like Toporama or ones that you have scanned yourself. These however would not be calibrated for use until you actually do it within the program. Its easy to do but a bit time consuming. It requires you determine the coordinates for a minimum 3 locations (like the intersection of 2 streets) on that map and enter the corresponding coords.

I don't want to discourage you but yes digital mapping can get costly but, like I said, not necessary to participate.

I would recommend starting off by downloading EasyGPS (its free) for the waypoint management part. Then buying Microsoft Streets & Trips (very reasonably priced) to display waypoints/caches. It doesn't allow up/downloading though so you must import waypoints by another means. Thats in lesson number 2. icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

Thanks PDOP's and Olar.

PDOP's: Alright, I'll check that out. I also live in Southern Alberta, which is why I'm following your site pretty carefully. icon_smile.gif

Olar: I'm going to try that EasyGPS later tonight. Does Microsoft's product support Canada?

Ahhh.. I think I see my problem here. I just read on PDOP's site that you can't actually use these maps with your GPSr unit.. Only the maps provided by the company. See, that's what I was looking for. To replace the maps on my GPS unit.

Thanks for the information anyway guys. I installed EasyGPS and downloaded some waypoints in there. Very nice. Going out for my first hunt tomorrow after work.

Cheers!

---

The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.

I'm using a Magellan SporTrak Map unit.

Hey, here's a question for ya. Do you find that the base maps are a little off? I took a drive down Highway 1A yesterday, but according to the GPS unit, Highway 1A was 4 KM west of where I was. I did an upgrade of the firmware and tested it again and now it's 1.5 KM off. A friend of mine who's been using a GPS unit for a year now said that it was common in Canada for the basemaps to be incorrect, but I'd like your opinion. Is it ok? Or is something wrong?

Thanks.

---

The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.

quote:
Originally posted by Jippy_:

I'm using a Magellan SporTrak Map unit.

Hey, here's a question for ya. Do you find that the base maps are a little off? I took a drive down Highway 1A yesterday, but according to the GPS unit, Highway 1A was 4 KM west of where I was. I did an upgrade of the firmware and tested it again and now it's 1.5 KM off. A friend of mine who's been using a GPS unit for a year now said that it was common in Canada for the basemaps to be incorrect, but I'd like your opinion. Is it ok? Or is something wrong?

Shouldn't be off by that much Jippy although I have no experience with Magellan maps. Maybe some Maggy owners can add some comments.

For your info Garmin has a feature called 'lock-on-road'. When you are navigating, the cursor will lock itself onto the road that you are travelling on making it look as though the maps, and your receiver, are dead on. Without the feature and using basemap only, it usually is off a bit but nowhere near the distances you mention.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

I'm assuming that you gave the GPS plenty of time to initialize and download full almanac data or that you haven't moved a substantial distance and then turned your GPS on again.

I haven't seen the base maps that far off, unless of course you're driving on a new road.

It never hurts to set your GPS down in an area with good reception and reinitialize it.

Having said all of that, the basemaps are crude at best. It's worth getting Magellan Mapsend Streets and Destinations Canada. You'll see a huge improvement.

I love the smell of Lock 'n Locks in the morning...they smell like $$$