Guelph area get-together

TrimblesTrek

icon_eek.gif Geocachers Picnic:

October 5, 2002

Riverside Park in Guelph

12:00 p.m.

(coords to be determined)

I sent an initial email to some Geocachers who have either found my caches or I have found theirs. Most of the initial list seem to be local to the Guelph area. This event is NOT restricted to Guelph area Geocachers... feel free to contact others!

I know some people won't be able to make it on the given date, but rather than debate the date and location for a month(!), let's go with this for now. Maybe next year we can do something bigger, better, and with more time to plan.

A couple of ideas to kick around:

- Pot luck or BYOP?

- Cache hunt in the park?

- Weather permitting?

I had an idea for a cache hunt in the park...

THE ICE-BREAKER CACHE

- Anybody who can arrange it can hide a cache somewhere in the park, prior to the event. This would be a NON-POSTED cache on geocaching.com

- Cache container would contain NO TRADING ITEMS, just TICKETS or slips of paper ("Congratulations! You found TrimblesTrek Picnic Cache!")

- Each Geocaching "team" participating in the cache hiding would bring along a box full of various trading items. Each team would tend to their own box, on their picnic table.

- When someone returns from a cache hunt, they can bring the TICKET they got from your cache over to your picnic table. They can then trade an item they have with them for an item from your picnic table cache box.

I like this idea better than hiding traditional trinket-filled caches for one reason... it will get us all (basically strangers) talking to each other. (Hence the ICE BREAKER CACHE.)

I would like to get an early idea of how many people we'll get so I can reserve a suitably sized Picnic Shelter in the park. You can reply here, or to TrimblesTrek@sympatico.ca

TrimblesTrek

[This message was edited by TrimblesTrek on September 13, 2002 at 12:37 AM.]

I think this is a great idea. I've always wondered who the other Geocachers were. It would be great to meet the people behind the names (and the occasional self picture on an angle).

I try to avoid entering coords manually - it would be nice to download an EasyGPS .LOC file containing the coords of the Ice Breaker Caches a couple of days before the picnic.

Keep on cachin',

CryptoBlue

Sounds good, I'm available anytime (It's not like I've got any kind of social life you can mess up). Also passed on TT's message to Marang and KDKK17 (my daughters). They have a slo-pitch banquet that evening, but might make a brief appearance early on.

If you see my name poppin' up on your Guelph area watch lists before the 5th, you'll know my Ice-breaker cache has been planted!

After 80 finds, the only cachers I have met are Paragon & Ruby and Emma Bean, so I'll look forward to meeting more of you all then!

icon_cool.gif

I think this is going to fly! I've had all positive replys so far, and nobody has complained about my choice of location or date! icon_smile.gif

So far it looks like we may be seeing:

1701eh

Bullshipper

Chinook's Champions

cruise448788

CryptoBlue

Flick

J.A.R.S.

Lynx1 And The Hunter

TrimblesTrek

yorelken

And possibly

Marang and KDKK17

Feel free to invite others... make sure you point them to this forum so they can get the whole deal.

I'll be making arrangements to book the picnic area on Monday, so I'll have coordinates by then.

I'm also going to post this as a Virtual Cache on www.geocaching.com so I can keep a main page updated with details.

See my next post for the rules for the Guelph Picnic ICE-BREAKER Cache...

TrimblesTrek

GAGAFAP (Guelph Area Geocachers And Friends Annual Picnic)

Everyone attending the GAGFAP is invited to hide an event cache. I have outlined the instructions for participating in the cache hunt below, and will be updating the GAGAFAP home page as soon as it has been approved by the geocaching.com powers-that-be.

The main idea behind the ICE-BREAKER cache is so that we can all get to know each other a little. It will FORCE us to speak to each other!

(These are just instructions for an organized-event cache hunt... feel free to hide a traditional cache if you like.)

THE GAGAFAP ICE-BREAKER CACHE

- Anybody who can arrange it can hide a cache somewhere in Riverside Park , prior to the event.

- The cache MAY be posted on www.geocaching.com prior to the event so that other participants can download a .LOC file for importing into their GPSr's. If you post your cache, may I suggest the following naming convention... GAGAFAP Cache - YourTeamName. e.g. My cache will be called

quote:
GAGAFAP Cache - TrimblesTrek

If you hide a cache but didn't post it on www.geocaching.com, please print out and bring along some information sheets with your cache info (coords, hints etc.).

- Multi-stage caches are OK

- Cache container should contain NO TRADING ITEMS, just TICKETS or slips of paper ("Congratulations! You found TrimblesTrek Picnic Cache!")

- Each Geocaching "team" participating by hiding a cache should bring along a box full of various trading items. Each team would tend to their own box, on their picnic table.

- When someone returns from a cache hunt, they can bring the TICKET they got from your cache over to your picnic table. They can then trade an item they have with them for an item from your picnic table cache box.

That's it for now!

TrimblesTrek

Sounds like a great idea. TeamSpeed will plan on being there. (There are two of us.)

We'd appreciate it if you would arrange for sunshine; we're fair-weather friends.

GAGAFAP sure sticks in one's mind. Its very cacophony gives it a certain cachet, although I think I'd draw the line at wearing it on a T-shirt.

Thank you for organizing the event.

Cheers,

Madeleine

quote:
Originally posted by BullShipper:

My wife says that she should be called my social director. Thanx Yorelken.

My social director says that it really should be "I found GAGAFAP 2002" (using my GPSr)

Looking forward to lotsa fun.

BullShipper and Social Director

You forgot the upper case letters on Social Director a couple of times.

icon_biggrin.gif

Get ready for GAGAFAP II !!!

The date is set: Saturday September 27, 2003

The location is set: Belwood Lake Conservation Area.

A new GAGAFAP II cache event page will be coming soon. Put a watch on the GAGAFAP event cache page from last year and you'll be among the first to see it.

I hope everyone who came out last year can make it again this time. And bring a friend!

More news soon!

TrimblesTrek

TrimblesTrek