Canadian Digital Topographic Maps

PDOP's

I've created a summary / price comparison of Canadian Digital Topographic Maps currently available. The data was obtained from web sites and personal observations. Some of the specifications were not available on the web

so if any of you have first hand knowledge, especially of precalibrations for Ozi and Fugawi, please pass it on to me.

I used the cheapest prices I could find for products covering my local area to calculate cost per 1:50,000 map sheet. Excluding the free Toporama maps prices ranged from $0.38 to $5.00. Obviously not all these products are of the same caliber but the data does show that there's a pretty good range of products available on the retail market now.

I've also included a bunch of links to the map makers, retailers and others that are GPS related.

I needed a subject for a web site project to learn HTML so I decided to try this. Hope it proves useful and thanks for letting me experiment on you. icon_wink.gif Please post any comments, good or bad, here.

Canadian Digital Topographic Maps

[This message was edited by PDOP's on February 18, 2003 at 09:28 AM.]

Awesome website, PDOP's. Well done.

You even make Toporama look pretty good.

With the Toporama maps, do you know if there's a way to "unshrink" them (relative to the Cosine of their latitude)in bulk? I have individually expanded some but that's a pretty tedious process.

There is a slick routine to do a bulk calibration, but it still leaves them "vertically challenged".

quote:

With the Toporama maps, do you know if there's a way to "unshrink" them (relative to the Cosine of their latitude)in bulk? I have individually expanded some but that's a pretty tedious process.

There is a slick routine to do a bulk calibration, but it still leaves them "vertically challenged".

I don't know of an existing one but I believe Dave Patton's DRGMapCal will eventually have this capability.

PDOP's GPS Pages

I've added a page about paper and Tyvek topographic maps. Looks like the best deal for paper maps is $14 including shipping from Canadian Canoe Routes Prices for paper maps are going up by a buck at the end of the month at two of the sites listed.

The best deal for Tyvek is $19.95 from Dog Ears. World of Maps is reporting that Tyvek maps are going out of production but I haven't been able to confirm that elsewhere.

If you know of any online dealers I missed please e-mail the name and I'll add it to the list

PDOP's GPS Pages

I am a buyer for a map retailer. My supplier has confirmed the tyvek maps are no longer in print. He has arranged a special print run of his top titles (western Canada) which will be available later this spring. The map office is planning to release their cartographic info on the net similar to the US system, so there is doubt they will even continue to print paper maps (which are increasing to $11.45 retail April 1).

MemoryMap navigator and E-Topo software enable you to print your own maps, mosaicked from 1:50,000 topos, and are downloadable to GPS or PDA. I don't want to violate the non-commercial use rule here, so if anyone is interested in pricing/products they can email me.

cachewidow

It's not difficult to meet demands; just turn around and there they are.

quote:
Originally posted by cachewidow:

I am a buyer for a map retailer. My supplier has confirmed the tyvek maps are no longer in print. He has arranged a special print run of his top titles (western Canada) which will be available later this spring. The map office is planning to release their cartographic info on the net similar to the US system, so there is doubt they will even continue to print paper maps (which are increasing to $11.45 retail April 1).

Thanks for the info Cachewidow. I'll miss the Tyvek maps as they're a lot better for carrying in a pack.

I've added your web page to my site icon_smile.gif

PDOP's GPS Pages

This is to replace a post from last night that was wiped out by the change to the new forums.

A couple of people are providing calibrations for the free Toporama maps so that they can be used in mapping programs.

If you don't want to take the time to download and calibrate the toporama maps sheets there is another option. The maps are available on CD from private individuals with calibrations for Ozi, Memory Map or FUGAWI. I am not connected to these enterprises in any way other than that I can appreciate how much time it could save. As far as I know there's nothing illegal about this. The costs involved are to cover the calibrations and the CD's

Chuck Gale has two CD's which cover all of Canada south of the 52nd parallel. The CD's are nice because you can simply import the maps and they end up properly organized on your machine. One covers east of the Ontario Manitoba border, the other west.

Currently CD's are shipped C.O.D. at $35 (Canadian) each. Contact cgale@playground.net

Dave Patton's site Canadian Information Systems has six Cd's which cover all of Canada at both 1:50000 and 1:250000. CD's are $75 to $80 Cdn each.

PDOP's GPS Pages

[This message was edited by PDOP's on March 28, 2003 at 09:41 AM.]

Dave Patton has upgraded his software so that it now also produces calibration files for Toporama maps to be used with Fugawi. See my Toporama web page for instructions on how to easily download and calibration large numbers of Toporama maps.

From the GPS News Group

DRGMapCal is a program which automates the process of generating map calibration files for Digital Raster Graphics(DRG) map images.

The program will generate OziExplorer calibration files(.map) for Canadian NTS Toporama topographic map images and Landsat 7 orthoimages, as well as MapQuest "street maps" created by Willem van Schaik's GEM program.

The program will also generate JPR calibration files for the Toporama map images and Landsat 7 orthoimages, for use with Fugawi or Memory-Map Navigator.

PDOP's GPS Pages