What is everyone's views on Cemetery Caches?

DARKSIDEDAN

2 hours ago, Team Canary said:

Not a big fan, unless placed well away from the graves in an historic gravesite.

My wife thinks they're disrespectful.

The ones I've done have been multis, using information off mostly historic (1800s and early 1900s) headstones with the final well away from the graves. I even owned one, a lone historic (1842) grave on a hill at Mooney Mooney (Peat's Grave). It was a traditional but the cache was in a cave some 20 metres away from the fenced grave and headstone.

They don't worry me, as long as they don't potentially harm any grave (same with any historic object) or poke fun at someone. After all, the people are dead, and you are free to put a cache near any of my relatives, following what I said before. They can't complain and won't harm the dead. I think some people get too precious about this.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1

They should be far away from graves and their accoutrements as possible, as easy to find as possible, with the biggest hints possible. Everything possible to keep the most reckless of seekers from damaging anything.
After that, I very much like to think that the residents are pleased to have respectful visitors come by. 

Edited by Mr Kaswa
Added "respectful".
  • Upvote 1
On 7/12/2022 at 10:09 PM, Goldenwattle said:

They don't worry me, as long as they don't potentially harm any grave (same with any historic object) of poke fun at someone. After all, the people are dead, and you are free to put a cache near any of my relatives, following what I said before. They can't complain and won't harm the dead. I think some people get too precious about this.

•  

I think its in poor taste to search with grieving relatives in the cemetery.

I don't think there's much chance of upsetting grieving relatives at this one:

OvergrownGraves.jpg.76a83f9251c79d445264d04041611116.jpg

The graves here date from the late 1800s and if there are still descendents living in the area, they don't seem to be interested in maintaining their history. The cache here is a multi, using dates off the headstones to locate the final in a similarly-overgrown park.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Team Canary said:

I think its in poor taste to search with grieving relatives in the cemetery.

It's rare to find anyone else in a cemetery. I have visited many (both for geocaching and other reasons), and mostly I am the only one, or on the rare case there is another person/people, chances are it will be in another area. Just act respectfully. It's like all caching, if there are people around too close to a cache, you will need to come back, or not find that cache. Cemetery caches don't make that feature any different to other reasons.

You wrote as if people will go and often find "grieving relatives'. Mostly doesn't happen. Relatives don't live to hang around grieving. They go home.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1

I love cemetery caches because of the beauty of most cemeteries. Calm, peaceful, historical, interesting tombstones,  little cemetery figurines and knickknacks, and few if any people around.

But I have one experience that I considered not appropriate (but otherwise 99% of the hides I've found have been done with respect). The cache write-up said it was his father's grave. Lots of positive comments in the logs. When I arrived I found a small hill in the cemetery and on it were about 25 small flat plaques on the ground, each about 6"x12". Found his father's plaque but there was no where to put a cache, yet it had recently been logged it as found. Then I wondered... is it under the plaque? Yes it was. A bison tube pushed into the dirt under the headstone.  The cache hider never maintained that cache. It was eventually archived by a reviewer.

Edited by L0ne.R

Our first cache found was a Virtual in a cemetery nearby, of a famous blonde bombshell of the '50s.

We like cemetery caches if they're in good taste, and you get permission.  The history...

We've done a number of cemetery caches where no permission was given, and on one the caretaker removed the cache minutes after the "CO" drove away.

- Most after an event the same day showed en masse, and all but us logged it as a find.  A cache not there...

The finned one logged us as the only honest cachers in the bunch, in the "Found it/Didn't find it" thread... on porpoise.  :laughing:

4 hours ago, capsai said:

It depends on where the cache is placed.

I made one in Vienna, which is directly ON a grave, but with permission. It felt quite wierd and awkward.

That's similar to caches in someone's front garden. Yes, they have obviously given permission for their own garden, but what do the neighbours think seeing strangers there.

Found one virtual that had you going to Pigpen's (of the Grateful Dead) grave to get info. There is one where I  live that requires you  to go to the graves of 25 famous local people to get the info to plug into  a bunch of equations to get the coords.in the city. The cache is in the largest city park that is adjacent to  this larget cemetery in the city. The graves include a US President, the first black US congresswoman, a rock star and a famous inventor. The cemetery  has  a tram  tour and has brochures and apps for the phone with the mas of over 50 famous graves. They encourage the tours, welcome  pictures in the nice wooded area and  even point out that you might see the albino deer  that is in the herd that frequents the grounds.

Edited by Wacka
41 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Found one virtual that had you going to Pigpen's (of the Grateful Dead) grave to get info. There is one where I  live that requires you  to go to the graves of 25 famous local people to get the info to plug into  a bunch of equations to get the coords.in the city. The cache is in the largest city park that is adjacent to  this larget cemetery in the city. The graves include a US President, the first black US congresswoman, a rock star and a famous inventor. The cemetery  has  a tram  tour and has brochures and apps for the phone with the mas of over 50 famous graves. They encourage the tours, welcome  pictures in the nice wooded area and  even point out that you might see the albino deer  that is in the herd that frequents the grounds.

Sound really cool