Repairing Magellan 315

Uniacke Raiders

Does anyone know anything about actually repairing a 315. It got wet in the rain & the screen is now buggered up. It's no longer under warranty. Magellan told me to contact Bill's Electronics in Ontario but he says they are not repairable. They'll swap it for a new 315 for $135 + taxes & shipping. I don't think a 315 is worth that much...

Anyway, does anyone else have a suggestion ? has anyone actually been able to repair these units ?

Of course, in the meantime, I have a shiney new SportTrak Map on order but still miss my usually dependable 315.

N 44 54.474

W 63 46.979

quote:
Originally posted by Uniacke Raiders:

Does anyone know anything about actually repairing a 315. It got wet in the rain & the screen is now buggered up. It's no longer under warranty. Magellan told me to contact Bill's Electronics in Ontario but he says they are not repairable. They'll swap it for a new 315 for $135 + taxes & shipping. I don't think a 315 is worth that much...

Anyway, does anyone else have a suggestion ? has anyone actually been able to repair these units ?

Of course, in the meantime, I have a shiney new SportTrak Map on order but still miss my usually dependable 315.

N 44 54.474

W 63 46.979

problem is getting the case open. magellan, in their wisdom chem-welded the cases and to open them a dremel tools or some careful prying is required. of course the electronics is fixable but getting to it is the problem. ive heard that cutting the case open and then using crazy glue could be feasible, but have never tired it. what ever you do let us know with pictures if possible.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

I had a 315 that I fixed by cracking the case open.But I could have easily destroyed the unit in the process. I had to clamp the unit in a vise and use a screwdriver and hammer to break the case open. The two halves of the case are fused together. I just wanted to see what the inside looked like as it was dead and I was going to throw it away. But I found a bad connection, repaired it, and the unit worked. I bonded it back together with crazy clue, then traded it in at a local sports store on a new GPS unit. I think the 315 is a good basic unit, but am much happier now with a newer unit with more features. Trying to repair this unit may be more trouble than it's worth, and there's a good chance your 315 would be destroyed in an attempt to open the case.

Ask not for whom the cache waits....It waits for thee.