Earthcache Blown Up

Seeing things like this and tearing down statues, my Dad asked me if there is a word to describe "judging past events through the lense of today". He thought he had invented a new word concept but turns out it is "presentism". 
I don't know if presentism contributed toward these stones being torn down but it made me go "huh".

• Funny 1
22 hours ago, ChriBli said:

I think it was mainly idiotism.

Like so much of the culture in my country today, it seemed to be an intolerance toward any position or point of view other then one's own.

Yes, the philosophy behind the stones seemed to me to be tinfoil-hat-bat****-crazy, but that's what makes multiculturalism fun; the ability and opportunity to do three things:

• Learn about other' points of view,
  • Have the opportunity and impetus to re-evaluate your own beliefs and
  • Point and laugh at the truly deranged and misguided.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
On 8/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, TeamRabbitRun said:

Yes, the philosophy behind the stones seemed to me to be tinfoil-hat-bat****-crazy

Some people really got wrapped up in the idea it was intended for implementation now, as opposed to the real intention of being a guide for rebuilding society after a nuclear apocalypse. In which case the people behind it were too coy for their own good.

Or maybe it was just a wild troll job by a rich eccentric. 

9 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Some people really got wrapped up in the idea it was intended for implementation now, as opposed to the real intention of being a guide for rebuilding society after a nuclear apocalypse. In which case the people behind it were too coy for their own good.

Or maybe it was just a wild troll job by a rich eccentric. 

To be clear, I don't think what they wrote was nutz at all. All the principles that were being espouised were good for the long-term health of humanity and the ecosystem, but you have to agree (or not, I suppose) that it wasn't very realistic, even as the intended 'future guide written in a medium that might withstand and survive'. It kinda ignores human nature, and I'm not terribly hopeful that even a devastating apocalypse would make us collectively less self-destructive.

THAT'S why I wrote that it's all kinds'o crazy.

You're right that some people for a variety of reasons given today's world couldn't grasp that it wasn't pushing an agenda (even the reviewers of that earthcache understood that otherwise it never would have been published!) and that skewed worldview most likely caused its destruction. 

Fundamentally good ideas, tho (mostly). If you're not familiar with it, hit the geocache or Wikipedia pages and take the time to read about it..