Pilgrimage routes, other than "Way of St. James"

Lately I have noticed some pilgrimage routes/ways, that are not part of the Way of St. James. F.e.:

Klemens Maria Hofbauer-Pilgerweg

Franziskusweg Weinviertel

etc.

and I'm sure that they are to be found worldwide. What do you think of a new category to cover these pilgrimage routes that are not part of the Way of St. James? Just an idea.

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Upvote 1

In northern Scandinavia there is the pilgrimage network of the "Nidarosleden" with the "St. Olav's way" and the "King's way" as main route as another example: You can walk from Oslo or Hammarö (in the northern part of the lake Vänern in Sweden) or other cities to the Nidaros cathedral in Trondheim - in total these pilgrimage ways cover more than 5000km. I'm pretty sure that there are more of these routes, but they are not as known as the St. James.

I like the idea itself, but I think there needs to be some thought before the category is ready for publication. For example, whether it would have to be longer pilgrimage routes like the one mentioned above or whether a short pilgrimage route like the one from Cologne Cathedral to Altenberg Cathedral (about 30km) is sufficient, whether only certain stations (where you can get stamps for your pilgrimage pass, for example) are permitted or also signs (like on the St. James) along the way, or whatever we have there still come up.

Another example is the Via Francigena, whch passes through England, France, Switzerland, and Italy:  https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/

I'm not sure there are many (or any) pilgrimage routes in the U.S., but I still think this would be a great category to add.  I don't think distance should matter much, but I do think there needs to be some sort of physical evidence of it being a pilgrimage route, such as a sign or a place where a pass can be stamped, as FamilieFrohne mentioned.  

Edited by jonathanatpsu

Well, Andreas, in order to realistically extend your concept to North America, I offer the following, in only slight seriousness:

(This could also potentially apply to Australia, New Zealand and, likely, to South Africa, to name just a few.)

The western part of North America was primarily settled by people of European descent (despite the fact that others already lived there, and had done so for over 10,000 years), for the most part in search of one of two things.

The first was land on which to start a new life, thereby, hopefully, creating, by their labour and creativity, a better, more comfortable and more prosperous life for themselves and their families.

The second was usually GOLD, the lure of which prompted many tens of thousands to leave their homes in Europe and in Eastern North America, to wander about the North American West in search of the instant riches which the allure of precious metals promised.

pilgrimage
pĭl′grə-mĭj
noun
1 - A journey to a sacred place or shrine.
2 - A long journey or search, especially one of exalted purpose or moral significance.
3  - A journey undertaken by a pilgrim; a traveling on through a strange country or to some place deemed sacred in order to perform some religious vow or duty, or obtain some spiritual or miraculous benefit.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

If we were to extrapolate, or interpret, for a moment, from the dictionary definition above, we might consider the homesteaders of "The West" to have undertaken "A long journey or search, especially one of exalted purpose", the exalted purpose being that of a better life for one's family.

With regard to the Gold Seekers, it's not outrageous to consider their trek west "a traveling on through a strange country or to some place deemed sacred in order to perform some religious vow or duty, or obtain some spiritual or miraculous benefit.", the "religious vow or duty" being that of wresting the wealth from the earth, the "place deemed sacred" the most recently discovered Gold Field, the "miraculous benefit" being that of having made oneself quite wealthy in a short period of time.

Given contemporary human's apparent worship of the almighty dollar, the idea of attaching a religious connotation to the seeking or attainment of great wealth somehow seems quite appropriate.

Humbly submitted for your consideration,

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
17 hours ago, jonathanatpsu said:

I'm sure, that we have been on that way several times, as we have been to Tuscany several times and have been to Lucca, San Miniato, Siena and so on and they are all on the route.

17 hours ago, jonathanatpsu said:

I'm not sure there are many (or any) pilgrimage routes in the U.S., but I still think this would be a great category to add.  I don't think distance should matter much, but I do think there needs to be some sort of physical evidence of it being a pilgrimage route, such as a sign or a place where a pass can be stamped, as FamilieFrohne mentioned.  

I totally agree. Of course, there should be some evidence in the real world, like a sign or something. Otherwise I could say that I was walked from here to there and call it a pilgrimage route. I also think that the religion shouldn't matter. There might be "official" pilgrimage walks for Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, etc. And that brings me to Keith posting:

14 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

pilgrimage
pĭl′grə-mĭj
noun
1 - A journey to a sacred place or shrine.
2 - A long journey or search, especially one of exalted purpose or moral significance.
3  - A journey undertaken by a pilgrim; a traveling on through a strange country or to some place deemed sacred in order to perform some religious vow or duty, or obtain some spiritual or miraculous benefit.

:) I think, I would go for #3, which means, that the way has to have a religious background. I'll pass on discussing that any further, because my English isn't good enough for such a discussion. :) Just a short note: In Vienna we have a soccer club, called "Rapid Wien" and very often their fans say "Rapid ist meine Religion" (Rapid is my religion), but I wouldn't want to see a signpost to the Rapid stadium in a category for Pilgrimage Ways/Routes.

Besides, there are plenty of Pilgrimage Routes in USA and Canada (beside the way to GOLD). :)

Generally speaking: I have never been (and most likely will never be) a pilgrim myself. But, many people around the world spend their time, money and efforts to keep other (less known) pilgrimage routes functioning and interesting. And IMHO they deserve a little attention, rather than being ignored, just because they don't fit it the "Ways of St. James" category.

16 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

... But, many people around the world spend their time, money and efforts to keep other (less known) pilgrimage routes functioning and interesting. And IMHO they deserve a little attention, rather than being ignored, just because they don't fit it the "Ways of St. James" category.

Well then, Andreas, I think you should go for it!

Meanwhile, I'll start searching for Pilgrimage Routes in USA and Canada. Have no idea how successful such a search might be.

16 hours ago, jonathanatpsu said:

Indeed, that site outlines at least four trails which would possibly be acceptable to Andreas.

Alas, the westernmost is in Ontario, several days' too many a drive for this Westerner to undertake in search of a "New Category". In the past we've gone considerably out of our way to nab the odd rare category or two, but >3,600 km seems just a tiny bit more than I'm willing to undertake at present. :(

That would likely represent an outlay of over $1600 for fuel alone, return trip, given present gas prices.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to search for a trail somewhat nearer my neighbourhood, while comfortably watching the ball games from my easy chair. :drama:

Keith

It seems to be easier to find a Drive-In Church in North America than a pilgrimage. :) Seriously spoken, there are also places of pilgrimage in western Canada. Or what do you think about: Western Canada pilgrimages make measured comeback (catholicregister.org) or Annual Lac Ste. Anne pilgrimage to return during Pope's visit to Alberta | CBC News

The "problem" is, that I had a different "vision" of pilgrimage ways. Here in Europe there are several of these ways and you can go them whenever you want (that's why the sign are there all year long), on whatever you want (on foot, on bicycle, on horse,...) at whatever speed you are comfortable with. In groups or all alone. In North America I've found some destinations for a pilgrimage and people arrive there with their car or are brought there with busses or they walk with a guiding person (making signs unneccessary). Some of the pilgrimages take place on a few days of the year and arrows, showing the way, are removed when the pilgrimage is over. I would have no problem with temporary pilgrimages just like with fleamarkets, festivals, etc. as long as the WM makes clear that the arrows are only there for a limited time.

And, as long as the pilgrimage is somehow religious, I would even accept those "destinations for a pilgrimage". But the question is: Is there a category for these already? I don't think so.

One possibility Wagon Roads and Trails Though it is currently limited to the US and Canada the category does accept The Mormon Trail ~ Centerville, IA

Have you contacted the leader cosninocanines or one of the officers iconions, NW_history_buff or YoSam. to ask about the possibility to open the category to be worldwide?

Since the category already accepts the "Mormon Trail" this seems to be a good fit with just expanding it to be worldwide, rather than creating a new category.

2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

And, as long as the pilgrimage is somehow religious,

We tried that ten years ago:

No success then, but things are changing...

However, extending the current Way of St James category is not the greatest idea. The category as it is has a clear focus and already tens of thousands of potential valid locations.

The linked thread is a good starting point.

19 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

One possibility Wagon Roads and Trails ...

Well, from my understanding, it is essential for the (European) pilgrim to walk the pilgrimage or (in modern times) use a bicycle. If I were interested in pilgrimages, I would never have the idea to search them in that category.

18 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

My concern is what is next, a new category for somehow non-religious?

From my point of view, there would be no next. I've read almost all of the thread that fi67 suggested and it might be difficult to draw an exact line as to what is religious or not. But like discussed there, "secular pilgrimages" would not be allowed (IMHO).

18 hours ago, fi67 said:

No success then, but things are changing...

However, extending the current Way of St James category is not the greatest idea. The category as it is has a clear focus and already tens of thousands of potential valid locations.

The linked thread is a good starting point.

Thanks for that hint. It's a very interesting thread. Many aspects, that I didn't think about: Australian songlines (never heard of them before), ancient pilgrimages of long gone antique religion,... I guess I will think about it and come back with some kind of plan what to do next.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:52 AM, PISA-caching said:

Thanks for that hint. It's a very interesting thread. Many aspects, that I didn't think about: Australian songlines (never heard of them before), ancient pilgrimages of long gone antique religion,... I guess I will think about it and come back with some kind of plan what to do next.

WOW, Andreas!! Now that your eyes have been opened further, I'm guessing that one of several things is taking place (or has taken place) in Wien as I write this:

1. - Andreas is wishing he'd never proposed this category.

2. - Andreas still "burns the midnight oil" in search of the perfect, all inclusive, definition for said, yet unnamed, category.

3. - Andreas is sleeping peacefully, aware that he's unlikely to be burned at the stake for failing to bring the proposal to fruition.

4. - Andreas has just had a true epiphany which he is about to reveal to the community.

5. -  Andreas has absconded with company funds, today leading a worry free life of luxury in Southern Italy.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII