A DNA for events (similar to a DNF for caches)

James0116

Hi,

could there be a way to get a Didn’t Attend for events, if you couldn’t attend but you put a will attend it feels more rude to just put a write note for it, I would rather have the opportunity to say it and then show that I didn’t attend, same as if I couldn’t find a cache.

thanks

James0116

• Funny 2

Generally a DNF implies one tried to find a cache but was unable to complete the task. The analog for a DNA would be that you left the house and were en route when something prevented you from completing the trip.  A write note could explain the change of plans or express regrets and would be more respectful than simply posting a DNA. If you suggest that one could add text to the DNA then it is no more useful than the note.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

Generally a DNF implies one tried to find a cache but was unable to complete the task. The analog for a DNA would be that you left the house and were en route when something prevented you from completing the trip.  A write note could explain the change of plans or express regrets and would be more respectful than simply posting a DNA. If you suggest that one could add text to the DNA then it is no more useful than the note.

It could be T5 event that turned out to be harder to reach than anticipated. But the use case does seem fairly marginal.

13 hours ago, James0116 said:

could there be a way to get a Didn’t Attend for events, if you couldn’t attend but you put a will attend it feels more rude to just put a write note for it, I would rather have the opportunity to say it and then show that I didn’t attend, same as if I couldn’t find a cache.

I'm curious why posting a WN with an apology for your non-attendance should feel rude.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
On 6/30/2022 at 12:09 PM, James0116 said:

I wouldn't consider us important enough where we'd need a special log type explaining why we couldn't attend, and we have caching kids looking for us, knowing we've got Crayola stuff in the truck.  :laughing:

It seems (maybe only to me) like the silly Write Notes from people saying they won't be able to attend, when folks are still "will attending"...

Writing a note saying they can't attend, like everyone will be wondering where they are...

But if you have to say, "Looks like everyone had fun, wish I coulda made it.." or similar, a Write Notes good.     :)

• Upvote 1

MOST of the events I have attended, and the one I have hosted, were not dependent on my, or others'  attendance logs.  They were meet and greet at a park, or at a local restaurant, or a CITO where you show up with a trash bag and grabber.  An exact head count is not usually necessary - folks show up who don't post a Will Attend (we've done that) and some that do post Will Attend don't show up, some with a Write Note, some just don't show up.  I don't consider any of that behavior to be rude.  

A DNA would be redundant, IMO.  

On 7/1/2022 at 2:46 PM, cerberus1 said:

<...>

Writing a note saying they can't attend, like everyone will be wondering where they are...

<...>

If I lived in a healthy local GC community, I would absolutely consider posting a note to say that I can't make it the THIS event if it's going to be the usual group of close-knit monthly morons.

As 'Events' are intended to be social gatherings of GC-ers, it's about the ONLY legitimate use case, IMHO, where we should take a teeny-tiny step toward Social Media.

NO FURTHER than that, tho! I'm not advocating for post-event updates, or thanks, or best wishes.

• Funny 1