Caches placed in "nasty" spots

Decodoppler

I just logged a find on a cache that 1/ seems to be on private land and 2/ that land is really seedy with homeless folks camped very near the cache site.

I have logged my find and comments -- so the cacher will read my concerns -- what is the general concencus concerning this issue... when should a cache be archived? Etc., etc.?

quote:
Originally posted by Decodoppler:

I just logged a find on a cache that 1/ seems to be on private land and 2/ that land is really seedy with homeless folks camped very near the cache site.

I have logged my find and comments -- so the cacher will read my concerns -- what is the general concencus concerning this issue... when should a cache be archived? Etc., etc.?

First of all any caching on private property is a definite NO-NO unless the owner has given permission. In the geocaching community this is not a debatable subject.

Secondly placing it in a seedy area near a homeless persons camp is putting cache hunters in an uncomfortable position not to mention safety concerns. I would think an email to the cache owner letting them know your feelings is appropriate to start. If no positive reaction is conveyed back to you then it can be persued through the geocaching authorities.

I see you personally have 60+ finds so you are certainly speaking from an experienced cachers viewpoint.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

I agree about the private property part.

I don't agree that having a cache near a place where the homeless camp is a no-no at all. Maybe a notice on the cache page for those who are uncomfortable around the homeless or feel unsafe would be warranted. I can't see why a cache should be archived for this reason, I for one don't mind their company.

Depends on what kind of homeless I guess. I'd feel less comfortable if they were heroine or crack addicts than if they're gypsies.

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

First of all any caching on private property is a definite NO-NO unless the owner has given permission. In the geocaching community this is not a debatable subject.

Secondly placing it in a seedy area near a homeless persons camp is putting cache hunters in an uncomfortable position not to mention safety concerns. I would think an email to the cache owner letting them know your feelings is appropriate to start. If no positive reaction is conveyed back to you then it can be persued through the geocaching authorities.

I see you personally have 60+ finds so you are certainly speaking from an experienced cachers viewpoint.

Cheers, Olar

http://www.plauder-smilies.com/wavey.gif

Thanks for all the comments... The cache owner has indeed taken the cache down and is checking the private property issue... Well, time to get back to work... Tomorrow brings another opportunity to find a cache!@

Take care

Hey,

I know these clowns who placed this cache, they're the same ones who placed the "Battle in a Bottle" cache last month in the Chinese Rail Workers Memorial off the SkyDome. The cache was actually in the monument and you had to climb into it 8' off the ground to get to it.

Actually wrote the placers and they felt that climbing into it was ok since two of their numbers were Chinese (duh!), I took it up with Geocaching.com and it was archived. Take the caches from this group with a grain of salt.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

DirtRunner.

quote:
Originally posted by DirtRunner:

Hey,

I know these clowns who placed this cache, they're the same ones who placed the "Battle in a Bottle" cache last month in the Chinese Rail Workers Memorial off the SkyDome. The cache was actually in the monument and you had to climb into it 8' off the ground to get to it.

Actually wrote the placers and they felt that climbing into it was ok since two of their numbers were Chinese (duh!), I took it up with Geocaching.com and it was archived. Take the caches from this group with a grain of salt.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

DirtRunner.

Hey Dirtrunner: thanks... I had figured that out after finding this one. Where are you "operating" in Toronto?

I suppose it's also possible that, at the time the cache was originally placed, there weren't any homeless folks 'camped' in the area (although that still wouldn't account for the private property issue). I know that, here in Toronto at least, there aren't too many forested city parks that haven't been host to transient's camp sites at one time or another; unfortunately, the farther off the beaten track you venture, the greater your chances of running across them (which, if you're GeoCaching, will often have you inadvertently vying for the same inner-city clump of quiet trees).

"Don't die with your music still inside you..."