sale on gps?

khalua

anyone know of any store sales on GPS? Should I buy from a pawn shop? the guy at the pawn shop wanted 100.00 cdn for a garmin II with no papers is it worth it? if so what is it worth? how do i test it? Can I down load the papers from the internet anymore?

can anyone help this beginner gps'er

khalua

quote:
Originally posted by khalua:

anyone know of any store sales on GPS? Should I buy from a pawn shop? the guy at the pawn shop wanted 100.00 cdn for a garmin II with no papers is it worth it? if so what is it worth? how do i test it? Can I down load the papers from the internet anymore?

can anyone help this beginner gps'er

khalua

According to Garmin's website the II has been discontinued and no software version updates are available although the manual is still listed as a download. It is a very old model.

I would suggest looking for a current entry-level model such as the Garmin Etrex yellow or Magellan's GPS315. (both very good units)

Try showing the pawnbroker the fact that it is an old model, discontinued and no upgrades available and then offer him $20.00. If he bites then you have something to play with and learn a little about the basics of GPS use until you are ready to buy a new unit.

Good luck, Olar

"Today really is Yesterday's Tomorrow"

Is this unit the GPS II or GPS IIplus?

It makes a bit of a difference, see chart.

If you do end up wanting to check this unit out, you should bring batteries with you and put them in. The unit should turn on (power up), so far so good. Now if possiable you should take it outside so it has a clear view of the sky. Assuming its used, it should already have the alamnac and get a "cold" lock in a few minutes. If it doesnt the unit may have been reset, moved more than 100miles from its previous location, or have been given the wrong date at some point. OR even worst the unit's defective/damaged and will have sent to Garmin to be fixed. Which wont be cheap Out of warrenty repair on a II is 89+25US(s/h outside the US)!

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg