Apps That Can Show Only Caches In My GPX?

When I started geocaching over a decade ago the API didn't exist yet and I think the official app was still only on iPhone (I always used Android). As a result I used an app that showed only geocaches that I had pre-loaded onto my device. Even after the API came out and the official app improved substantially, I continued to use the old app long after it ceased to be updated. While I do use the official app for some on-the-fly searching, I still want to filter out the majority of geocaches. Alas, I just upgraded from a Galaxy S8 to a Galaxy S22 and the old app is history.

The official app has various filters, including filtering based on one of my Lists, but I don't see any way to filter to only pre-loaded cache data from my custom GPX.

Do any other geocaching apps offer this functionality?

• Surprised 1
On 6/26/2022 at 10:04 PM, SpiritGuide said:

Not sure if this is what you're wanting, but Geooh GO allows you to specify filters when loading a GPX file into an offline list. 

I want an app that displays all caches in my offline list and no caches not in that list. Can Geo Go do that?

If you mean, download a GPX from your list, and show only those caches from the GPX on the map, without interference from "live map" functionality trying to distract you with all caches, almost any full-featured caching app should do that.

Locus Map does, I know that.  It can also filter so you see only part of the GPX contents, as above.  (I'm not affiliated with the product; I'm just a huge fan.)

• Helpful 1
On 6/27/2022 at 1:58 AM, JL_HSTRE said:

Do any other geocaching apps offer this functionality?

Locus Map with Geocaching addition can filter caches from GPX file exactly the way you need. When you open a list of caches in the GPX group you have option to filter caches by all standard and special attributes. I have used it to filter, for example, T5 with boat required. When filtering, you can select whether you want to see or hide these filtered caches.

8 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

If you mean, download a GPX from your list, and show only those caches from the GPX on the map

I create a GPX from GSAK rather than downloading a PQ directly into the app from a Bookmark List.

Edited by JL_HSTRE
typo
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

That functionality is part of the core app, no? 

In the Groundspeak app on Droid, the Filter menu gives me options for Type, Size, D/T, Attributes, and FPs.

Under Lists, I can download offline cache data from a Bookmark List, but that only provides the cache details in the absence of a data connection, right? In any case, I want to be able to get the data from a GPX output from GSAK, not from a Bookmark List.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Under Lists, I can download offline cache data from a Bookmark List, but that only provides the cache details in the absence of a data connection, right?

With an active data connection, all the Lists are available to the App regardless of whether they are downloaded for offline use.  You get even more cache page info while connected.  And if you will not be offline, there's a whole website of sortable Lists to access. :cute:

1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I want to be able to get the data from a GPX output from GSAK, not from a Bookmark List.

Is there a purpose for "GPX" in particular?  For example, your Garmin handheld requires "GPX" files and for some reason you won't use GSAK to load the caches directly onto it.  Because if you don't in fact need a GPX file specifically, you may be able to use GSAK to make "Lists" instead, and then use the Official App to choose and sort caches in your your Lists, and load the same Lists onto the Garmin if you like,

I send a GPX file of a large area to my Garmin GPS, then use the Lists in The App to easily group caches.  I have my "Go Find" List of caches that I'm most interested to hunt at the time.

If you're wondering about other Apps, yet can't reveal the reason you must use GPX files, then download and test some Apps.  There aren't a lot of such Apps that are actively updated, which is very important.  AND it needs to be an App that you will use.  I have a couple on my Droid that "do everything", but are so annoying to use as "Geocaching Apps", I usually choose the Official App instead, with its limitations, and the online web site and other sites.

Edited by kunarion
6 hours ago, kunarion said:

Is there a purpose for "GPX" in particular?  For example, your Garmin handheld requires "GPX" files and for some reason you won't use GSAK to load the caches directly onto it.  Because if you don't in fact need a GPX file specifically, you may be able to use GSAK to make "Lists" instead, and then use the Official App to choose and sort caches in your your Lists, and load the same Lists onto the Garmin if you like,

I am only interested in about 10% of geocaches. The other 90% I skip. My GSAK database is crafted to only have the geocaches that interest me.

However, I load several thousand at a time, either exporting my current FL database or a trip-specific database if going our of state. I want the same data on my Garmin as my Droid.

I need the app to drive to the geocaches or trailheads and see what's along the way if I have more or less time than expected for geocaching.

3 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I am only interested in about 10% of geocaches. The other 90% I skip. My GSAK database is crafted to only have the geocaches that interest me.

However, I load several thousand at a time, either exporting my current FL database or a trip-specific database if going our of state. I want the same data on my Garmin as my Droid.

I need the app to drive to the geocaches or trailheads and see what's along the way if I have more or less time than expected for geocaching.

Make your "Lists" in GSAK, or make them on the web site and then if necessary, manage them in GSAK.  Pretty much all the Apps I know of can handle Lists directly, no "GPX" needed.  But GSAK can also send the same data as GPX files to a Garmin, and so can Geocaching.com once the Lists are made.

Edited by kunarion

I'm also very picky about what caches make my list, whether it's for an afternoon outing or a two-week roadtrip.  I also use GSAK for planning and filtering.  When I have just the right caches in my GSAK database(s), I export them to a Geocaching.com bookmark List using the GSAK API.  I can then see the list on my smartphone using the Official App and, if I'm in an area where it makes sense to do so, I can also export the same caches as a GPX directly from GSAK to my Garmin GPS.

If I have more than 1,000 caches to export, then I figure out a way to break the caches up into logical groupings.  If it's a multiple day trip, I will make a separate list for each day.  It eliminates a lot of scrolling.  If I'll be in several areas, each for a few days, then I will make lists for each area, like "Seattle" and "Snoqualmie" and "Abbotsford" and "Vancouver" for the upcoming HQ and GeoWoodstock events in August.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

I'm also very picky about what caches make my list, whether it's for an afternoon outing or a two-week roadtrip.  I also use GSAK for planning and filtering.  When I have just the right caches in my GSAK database(s), I export them to a Geocaching.com bookmark List using the GSAK API.  I can then see the list on my smartphone using the Official App and, if I'm in an area where it makes sense to do so, I can also export the same caches as a GPX directly from GSAK to my Garmin GPS.

If I have more than 1,000 caches to export, then I figure out a way to break the caches up into logical groupings.  If it's a multiple day trip, I will make a separate list for each day.  It eliminates a lot of scrolling.  If I'll be in several areas, each for a few days, then I will make lists for each area, like "Seattle" and "Snoqualmie" and "Abbotsford" and "Vancouver" for the upcoming HQ and GeoWoodstock events in August.

This is a workaround but one that seems entirely unnecessary and adds extra work, creating and managing several lists instead of dumping a single file on both my Garmin and Droid.

Why is it so hard to program an app to just load from a file? Requiring bookmark lists is website integration to a fault. Apps used to do what I want because they had no other choice.

One step closer to quiting geocaching. If I hadn't just purchased a new Garmin it would probably be several steps closer.

• Funny 1

I'm sorry that what I view as an optimized workflow, you view as a workaround.

Question for you:  If you are only interested in 10% of all caches, why do you need to load thousands at a time?  Do you not know where you're going?  I decide where I am going to find caches, and build a list for that day or that trip.  It's never more than 1,000 because I don't plan on finding even a fraction of that in a single day.  I may need thousands of caches loaded over the course of a few months, but I always do so using fresh data within a day or two before any one trip.

• Helpful 1
13 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

Question for you:  If you are only interested in 10% of all caches, why do you need to load thousands at a time?  Do you not know where you're going?  I decide where I am going to find caches, and build a list for that day or that trip.  It's never more than 1,000 because I don't plan on finding even a fraction of that in a single day.  I may need thousands of caches loaded over the course of a few months, but I always do so using fresh data within a day or two before any one trip.

I load my devices about once a month, not before every outing except a big trip. 

I load all of Florida so that I go one direction one weekend and someone else the next weekend, and can decide the night before.

On a trip I often drive a thousand miles. I may or may not have time to stop for caches along a particular section. My route may change because of weather or unexpected closings or a stop to see something taking less time than anticipated. Sometimes I leave the return leg of my journey open-ended.

I both plan meticulously yet also value flexibility. 

13 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Most apps do this. 

Which ones? How? At the exclusion of other caches not loaded from the GPX?

• Helpful 1