Links to images hosted by Groundspeak

mandevil

I want to link (through A HREF) to images that are part of the listing and hosted using GS's own AWS filebucket. So I have a link like (just an example, that image does not exist):

<a href="https://img.geocaching.com/cache/f7c46618-f53b-11ec-8d0a-f3f15e43771a.jpg" target="_blank">

But when I click that link, I get a warning popup about going to third-party website not controlled by Groundspeak. Like what? That's right on geocaching.com domain, why in the world is this considered unsafe?

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

See this thread dating back to January when this hideous "feature" was introduced. They've said that the pop-up warning will be removed "for approved links like geocaching sub-domains, API partners, and approved image upload domains" but this has yet to happen. So yes, links to images hosted on geocaching.com are still considered dangerous.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 3
54 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

See this thread dating back to January when this hideous "feature" was introduced. They've said that the pop-up warning will be removed "for approved links like geocaching sub-domains, API partners, and approved image upload domains" but this has yet to happen. So yes, links to images hosted on geocaching.com are still considered dangerous.

Ah, thank you, sir, for explaining. It's just another little annoyance, one of many that await anyone who wants to something better than plain-text listings...

1 minute ago, mandevil said:

Ah, thank you, sir, for explaining. It's just another little annoyance, one of many that await anyone who wants to something better than plain-text listings...

Yeah, I have a multi (GC9M6X5) relying on an embedded link to a geocaching.com-hosted image that was published just a week before this pop-up warning was introduced. In the five months since, it's only had one find. I don't know whether the warning is putting people off or it's just a poorly designed cache that no-one wants to do, but had I known in advance I wouldn't have done it that way.