Adventure Lab time to complete

remman

1 hour ago, remman said:

I have created a new, not yet published, Adventure Lab, but I can't find how to add the time needed to complete.

You'll see that time after five people have completed it. That is not something you can add yourself.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/367819-release-notes-adventure-lab®-app-time-to-complete-adventures-november-19-2021/

Edited by Max and 99

I've just added it myself for the AL which is due to go public in the next few days.

In the description I said that the walk one way takes about 15 minutes without stopping, so allow up to an hour to answer the questions and enjoy the views.

The calculation based on log timings can be way out.  Do two stages, find a regular cache, do another stage, stop for coffee, do a 4th stage,  have lunch and then find the last stage.  2 hours for a 20 minute adventure.

9 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

No, 2 hrs and 20 minutes for an relaxing afternoon stroll, 45 minutes for the Lab.

Exactly!  But how does the calculation, which is based on log timings, know this.  As far as the adventure lab app and Groundspeak's servers are concerned the time between the first and last logs is 2:20, not 0:45

17 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

The calculation based on log timings can be way out.  Do two stages, find a regular cache, do another stage, stop for coffee, do a 4th stage,  have lunch and then find the last stage.  2 hours for a 20 minute adventure.

Yes it can. But the median calculation  is about the best we can do. Consider people who start an adventure lab and don't finish it till the next year! That would be such an outlier in the calculation too. I'm not a fan of the timings being added because of this reason. 

Edited by Max and 99
24 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes it can. But the median calculation  is about the best we can do. Consider people who start an adventure lab and don't finish it till the next year! That would be such an outlier in the calculation too. I'm not a fan of the timings being added because of this reason. 

There was one I did a couple of months ago (the first and only one in this region this year) but the final answer, which required the name of a bird species, had a spelling mistake in it which the owner didn't correct until a couple of days after it went live. As a result, all the early completers did the final stage a day or more after they did the first four and even now it's showing the time as 120+ minutes even though it's about a 30 minute walk from one end to the other and an even shorter bike ride (it's along a bike path).

My most recent one, which went live last November, is set along a 10km coastal walk but so far everyone has just driven to each of the locations. However, because the road route is very indirect with a fair bit of doubling back required, many have done different stages on different days, so the estimated time is completely meaningless.

For me, what would be far more useful would be a scale on the map (is that really so hard to do?) so I can see at a glance how far I have to travel.

3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

For me, what would be far more useful would be a scale on the map (is that really so hard to do?) so I can see at a glance how far I have to travel.

Yes, a scale is what make maps usable. And times are without relevance, as different people do walk with different speeds. Instead of having a useless time value, GS should give us the route distance of the adventure. Every single geocacher will know best for himself how long a specific distance will last (given an average surface).

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
15 hours ago, HHL said:

Yes, a scale is what make maps usable. And times are without relevance, as different people do walk with different speeds. Instead of having a useless time value, GS should give us the route distance of the adventure. Every single geocacher will know best for himself how long a specific distance will last (given an average surface).

Agreed.

In addition, they could provide a drop-down in the builder so the owner, who also knows the terrain, could choose from "Under 15 minutes", 15 - 30 minutes, 30-60 minutes, 1-2 hours, above 2 hours.

• Upvote 1
On 6/23/2022 at 8:26 AM, Moun10Bike said:

It is not something the owner can edit.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:12 AM, Gill & Tony said:

I've just added it myself for the AL which is due to go public in the next few days.

In the description I said that the walk one way takes about 15 minutes without stopping, so allow up to an hour to answer the questions and enjoy the views.

I also gave an estimated time (driving) my AL - with the caveat that stopping to taste the wine will add to your completion time!  The "estimated" time on mine is 46-60 minutes, which is pretty accurate, unless you stop to taste at the wineries along the way.

So although you can't edit the "calculated" time, based on logged completions, you CAN give users an idea in your description (if they read it, that is.)

13 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

So although you can't edit the "calculated" time, based on logged completions, you CAN give users an idea in your description (if they read it, that is.)

Which they're even less likely to do now that it only displays the first few lines and you have to tap on Read more to see the rest. I sometimes wonder why I bother writing descriptions on anything.

• Love 1