Why isent Canada featured more predominantly in Geocaching.com ???

Agaric

Geocaching is a riot, loads of fun but I cant figure out what geocaching.com caters to the U.S. market so much. I realize there are more people and more geocachers but Canada is the real geocaching area, real wilderness and when we say a cache is a level 5 difficulty it is REALLY hard.

Either we should all push geocaching.com to include Canada in more of their options on the website or we should create our own website just for Canadians. I am tired of not being able to use the "seek-a-cache" function and in having Canada not broken up into provinces (B.C. has soooo many caches it should be its own category).

The short of this rant is Canada deserves more recognition and the same features the U.S. market enjoys !!!!!

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Agaric:

"...I am tired of not being able to use the "seek-a-cache" function and in having Canada not broken up into provinces (B.C. has soooo many caches it should be its own category)..."

...'tired'? ...really? Dude, you've only been registered for 12 days, you have no caches to your credit (found or hidden), and this is your first forum post! Lighten up! GeoCaching.com is a 'free' site and, for the most part, a 'labour of love' for those who manage it (a job they do extremely well). Rather than 'rant', you should be thanking our neighbours to the south for the scope of this site including not only Canada, but the entire world!

Sheesh... icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Agaric:

Geocaching is a riot, loads of fun but I cant figure out what geocaching.com caters to the U.S. market so much. I realize there are more people and more geocachers but Canada is the real geocaching area, real wilderness and when we say a cache is a level 5 difficulty it is REALLY hard.

Either we should all push geocaching.com to include Canada in more of their options on the website or we should create our own website just for Canadians. I am tired of not being able to use the "seek-a-cache" function and in having Canada not broken up into provinces (B.C. has soooo many caches it should be its own category).

The short of this rant is Canada deserves more recognition and the same features the U.S. market enjoys !!!!!

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Where did that come from? You had better take another look around the website. Cache listings by province have been there as long as I can remember. Pocket queries, one of the most powerful search applications is borderless. And most of all, thank goodness, the GPS system is available worldwide courtesy of the U.S. taxpayers.

It must be a full moon tonight in B.C.

Happing caching, Olar

wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

Where did that come from?

SNIP

It must be a full moon tonight in B.C.

Happing caching, Olar

http://www.plauder-smilies.com/wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"

Is it getting freaky around here guys? or it it just imagination?!?!

First there's the "let's do a poll" dude and now the raging bull...

I know... why not repost his rant on the US forum.

icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Decodoppler:

"...Is it getting freaky around here guys? or it it just imagination?!?! First there's the "let's do a poll" dude and now the raging bull..."

...just when we thought it was safe to go outside again.

I'm thinking that, considering his/her lack of history and the overt inflammatory nature of the remarks, 'Agaric' is a sock-puppet. If nothing else, the responses served to give any of our friends south of the border who might be browsing the Canadian forums some reassurance that we're not a knuckle dragging tribe of thankless no-minds up here.

Mr. or Mrs. Agaric

Sounds like America Bashing rather than a real concern about the geocaching web site. I want to thank our neighbors to the North for their support from your Neighbors to the south. I can not speak for every American but I can say more than a simple majority consider Canadians as goods folks and we (or at least I) ARE jealousy of your open spaces. But more to the point and more importantly I would consider any attack upon a Canadian Business to also be an attack on the Free enterprise system as well as an an attack on our mutual way of life and dare I say the U.S. of A. Bottom line here in the U.S.A. we value "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." So if it brings you Happiness to pro-sue a Canadian web site about geocaching please feel at liberty to-do so.

www.ManuelCasillas.com

Maybe we should ease up on these new guys who come along with big ideas...who have not yet visited a cache. All it seems to do is scare them off completly. I just checked and the 'Golden Horseshoe' guy hasn't even logged onto the site since Nov 11, and now we are doing our best at scaring this guy off as well. I have always enjoyed this sport as I have found that everyone I have had contact with to be excellent people, hell, I had an unknown (at the time) cacher see the listing of a micro cache of mine, see that I was unable to locate certain pennies for it, and a week later, the two missing ones came in the mail. So, maybe we should go a little easier on these new guys (gals) and tell them the same thing, but maybe be a bit more civil about the whole thing. Maybe I haven't worded this the best, but I hope that the general idea of it is conveyed. Maybe I should have started a new 'Topic', but this just seemed to be the place to bring it up.

Bullzie

quote:
Originally posted by DirtRunner:

Hmmmmm...

I wonder if this troll owns or is somehow involved with the http://www.geocaching.ca domain.

Sure! Lets get our own web site!! Now! Never mind Jeremy and everything he's done! Burn him! BBBUUUUURRRRRNNN the Witch!

And then lets all build a bridge out of him...

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

"What else floats?" icon_biggrin.gif

OK... Bullsie has a point (post before Dirtrunner's)... But I am not sure what's going on here -- and certainly what went on with the poll guy -- is a brutal attack.

Here's my take on it... Only a truly talented writer is able to fully convey sentiment and feelings with words alone.... hence your friendly Emoticons... one of the huge downsides of instant messages quickly written (like email) is the likelihood that you'll be misinterpreted... bland words tend to be viewed in black and white and outside the bad pun, that doesn't leave much in the way of nuance... no gray zone. We write something that may have been meant as a slight poke in the ribs and it's read like a punch in the face...

Now it's pretty obvious that Bullsie makes a good point that our reactions to Totvos may have driven her/him away and that we may do the same here with raging bull... but if you stick a half-dozen angry emoticons in your message, you've got to expect a reaction... and then, if that reaction is stronger than you expected, either rethink what you said (preferred), explain yourself better (very constructive), or flame people back ( icon_frown.gif ). I think it speaks well of this group that the reactions mostly carried some form of advice... like look around dude... and then we have Dirtrunner-type messages... is he serious? Of course not... he's being ironic and manages to make us laugh (at ourselves) and brings up a great point about the founder of geocaching.com and the respect he deserves... What kind of bridge are we going to build?

Don't really think we need to cut raging bull too much slack because they seem to have little experience as a geocacher... understanding the actions / reactions equation has to do with experience as a person...

Anyhow, I think these "never cached" profiles are plants of some sort... another pun icon_confused.gif... I don't think totvos or agaric are real people... the names should be enough of a clue... these posts are pure fluff. Amanita Muscaria aka raging bull operating as agaric says in the original post "caching is lots of fun" but the profile has 0 found and 0 cached... think about it. If someone creates a new ID just to post some bull**** message, they should be able to take the stuff thrown back at them....

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Hang loose: Have fun: Hide and Seek

P.S. Ye Gods! I just realised that "isent" means isn't ... oh, agaric... you are toast dude!

[This message was edited by Decodoppler on November 21, 2002 at 04:41 AM.]

[This message was edited by Decodoppler on November 21, 2002 at 04:52 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Bullzie:

"...Maybe we should ease up on these new guys who come along with big ideas...who have not yet visited a cache. All it seems to do is scare them off completly. I just checked and the 'Golden Horseshoe' guy hasn't even logged onto the site since Nov 11, and now we are doing our best at scaring this guy off as well..."

Having been a participant in the 'Golden Horseshoe' thread, I think it safe to say that, if you read it from start to finish, you'll see that the sarcasm was self-directed towards our own 'who wants to know?' scepticism as much as anything else. By the tone of the posts (mine anyway), it should have been clear that if we were taking a lighthearted poke at anyone, it was at ourselves ...not 'totvos'. As for 'Agaric's lead post in this thread (' icon_mad.gif's ' and all), it's just plain rude and ill conceived. The responses posted thus far have, in my opinion, shown a considerable amount of restraint ...indicative of people who actually think before they hit the 'Post Now' button (are you taking notes 'Agaric'?). If you join a 'club' and then, the first meeting you attend, you grab the microphone, jump up on a table top, and start into a ':icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif:' tirade in a room full of people you don't even know, what kind of reaction would you expect from the existing 'membership'...? No, I don't think 'Agaric' (if there even is such a person) deserves any slack; if anything, the rest of us (especially the folks at Groundspeak) deserve his/her apology.

OK, OK,

I admit that I was more than harsh, but he was being more than stupid. When I first started, I didn't dare go peep until I got out there and got a few caches under my belt, I lived on the boards and except for one topic, I have never been "Markwelled"

We don't need people in the sport with a militant streak after zero big finds. As for Totevo, you guys killed him, not me. But I didn't really see anything wrong with his post; I saw it akin to a newbie asking who was near or from his hometown. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I hope to God that every one of the Canadian regulars at least has a "sense" of me to know when I am serious and when I am goofing on someone. My last post was serious with a goofing on someone twist at the end. Don't try this at home kids; I'm a professional...

It's OK to be inquisitive, but not to be disrespectful.

Thanks

DirtRunner.

...is that we often have no idea of the age of the person behind a forum post.

It could very well be that we're sometimes commenting on forum contributions being made by someone much younger than most of us (picture a 13 year old lad who's taken an interest in GeoCaching by way of being involved with his local Boy Scout troop for example). Thinking back to when I was that age, I can remember trying to participate in conversations among adults and doing my best to 'sound' like how I thought grown-ups sounded in order to fit in. I can see how, given a similar situation with an online forum, a young aspiring GeoCacher could perhaps take what s/he reads in the various threads and, without really having an 'adult' appreciation for things like 'tone' and 'nuance', inadvertently run amok by virtue of simple emulation.

I don't know if this was the case in either this or the 'Golden Horseshoe' thread, but it's probably something that's worth considering whenever we run across a post from an 'new unknown' that seems a little 'off'. Take a look at the title of this thread for example: 'isent'(isn't), 'predominantly'(prominently) ...'Agaric' could very well be a young person just trying to 'take part'. This could also explain the '0 found/0 hidden' factor.

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on November 21, 2002 at 03:18 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by shabbasuraj:

Bottomline is there is still no functional http://www.geocaching.ca website.

Don't care, you never go one web site soliciting people to leave the web site in favor of another, whether that site exists or not is irrelevant.

I'm with Cache Canucks on this one after looking at some of the evidence, the user probably was a kid, trying to be grown up, and is feeling pretty rejected now, after we all went Pompeii on him.

If that is the case, Mr. A, please don’t go away, come back and learn about the hobby. (Sport?) Everyone here is more than happy to help you with what ever you need. We really are all nice people once you stop baiting us...

There you have it

DirtRunner.

quote:

Bottomline is there is still no functional http://www.geocaching.ca website.

Agree that you don't join one group to solicit membership is a splinter group... well, at least not if you're polite! And dadgum... this is Canada!

Disagree strongly with anyone who engages in the practice of scooping up domain names and then scalping them. Cheeeessssseeeeyyyyy.

DD icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by Decodoppler on November 22, 2002 at 06:38 AM.]

internet squatting of domain names sux..... but still a www.geocaching.ca or a canadian focused geocaching website whatever the name would be a good resource FOR Canadians...

no more no less....

you may not think so....

but others sites that cater to specific markets do so as they deem it is somewhat of a necessity....(yahoo.ca, msn.ca, google.ca)

I guess it gives people a sense of stewardship or ownership.....perhaps......I dunno......

o yeah buy the way i have no connection to geocaching.ca

lates...

quote:

"...others sites that cater to specific markets do so as they deem it is somewhat of a necessity....(yahoo.ca, msn.ca, google.ca)

I guess it gives people a sense of stewardship or ownership.....perhaps......I dunno..."

...by thinking that putting a '.ca' on the end of a previously widely used (read 'American') '.com' URL affords you any real 'stewardship' or 'ownership'. In the vast majority of such cases, all it means is that the original (read 'American') '.com' has simply repackaged their U.S. site with a Canadian skin ('skin' not to be confused with 'content').

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 'GeoCaching.com' does what it does and does it well. The site's recent 'search by Canadian postal code' enhancement is not only indicative of the administrators' commitment to continued improvement, but also to their ongoing recognition of international users. Personally, I find it difficult to imagine how another '.ca' (or '.anything') site could offer any better functionality on the same large, all-inclusive (and 'no cost to the user') scale as Groundspeak. The fact that it is so widely used by folks from all over the globe speaks volumes.

If you truly believe that you would be better served by a separate and distinct '.ca' cache hunting site (remember, you wouldn't be able to use the 'GeoCaching.com' logo, since that belongs to Groundspeak), by all means ...assemble the money, time, and talent to go start one up and maintain it. If within a year of the site being launched you have as many Canadian caches listed 'coast-to-coast-to-coast' as GeoCaching.com, I'll eat the paper that this post is printed on icon_wink.gif !

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on November 27, 2002 at 07:44 AM.]

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on November 27, 2002 at 01:43 PM.]

quote:
If you truly believe that you would be better served by a separate and distinct '.ca' cache hunting site (remember, you wouldn't be able to use the term 'GeoCaching', since that belongs to Groundspeak), by all means ...assemble the money, time, and talent to go start one up and _maintain_ it. If within a year of the site being launched you have as many Canadian caches listed 'coast-to-coast-to-coast' as GeoCaching.com, I'll eat the paper that this post is printed on icon_wink.gif !

...And I'll eat the monitor I just read this on...

Hear! Hear! Canuck! Just what I was thinking!

DirtRunner

quote:

...And I'll eat the monitor I just read this on...

Hear! Hear! Canuck! Just what I was thinking!

DirtRunner

Dirtrunner... resist! On no account should you eat your monitor (well, unless she.... no, that's off topic). Your monitor contains nasty substances that will render you impotent and possible non-breathing. DO NOT eat your monitor... of course, the chances you'll have to are pretty remote... but nevertheless: RESIST the temptation.

icon_eek.gif

I have grown to be blase about the kind of remarks critical of our recognition of activities in other areas.

Agaric may be a bit dim-witted if he doesn't realize that he/she has answered the question in the first paragraph of his/her post: ...I cant figure out what geocaching.com caters to the U.S. market so much. I realize there are more people and more geocachers... keep in mind that it is US birds, US technology and US GPSrs that keep the sport going. We are willing to share these with the world... anyone with an interest. Now someone wants to be critical of the US website that supports it.

Let's not punctuate the geopolitical border that seperates these two great nations.

BTW Agaric would you like your geese back?

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

I have grown to be blase about the kind of remarks critical of our recognition of activities in other areas.

Agaric may be a bit dim-witted if he doesn't realize that he/she has answered the question in the first paragraph of his/her post: __...I cant figure out what geocaching.com caters to the U.S. market so much. I realize there are more people and more geocachers...__ keep in mind that it is US birds, US technology and US GPSrs that keep the sport going. We are willing to share these with the world... anyone with an interest. Now someone wants to be critical of the US website that supports it.

BTW Agaric would you like your geese back?

Trudy.

I believe the situation was well in hand and there wasn’t really a need for you to say anything. Yes, we all know that it’s the good ol’ US of A that put it all together and allowed the rest of the world to use it, we are all grateful that you are willing to share your toys with us, so why rehash in such a tone?

Makes you look petty and like your fishing for a complement. Here, let me give you one.

You are truly American…

Oh, and in case your wondering, I don’t dislike Americans, I just don’t like you…

DirtRunner.

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

quote:

Oh, and in case your wondering, I don’t dislike Americans, I just don’t like you…

DirtRunner.

I am sorry you feel that way.

I did not intend to offend you or any of our neighbors to the north.. other than the twit who initiated this thread.

I think we all agree on a couple of things... agaric is a twit and we have Uncle Sam -- or the American Taxpayers -- to thank for GPS... let's leave it at that. Ol' Agaric may have wanted to stir up the @#$% so let's not give him / her that satisfaction.

Happy Thanksgiving! icon_razz.gif

By the way, love the cat!

as with any business model,, there is always room for a great number 2 and even 3. coke/pepsi, nike/reebok...

just because geocaching.com is the largest does not mean it HAS to be the best for everyone...

conformity is not necessity....

bottomline is if there is a niche, albeit a secondary one, it will be filled eventually.....

simple rule of ever expanding global markets....

geocaching right now may have the most cache's listed but you never know in the future....

if the .com crash taught the world anything...

is that anything and everything dealing with the net can change and or shift in the blink of an eye.....

wouldn't it be funny if geocaching.com was bought out under the pretense of some sort of an american facade of gps hobbyists?

but after a few years it radically and unknowingly changed the site to something else?

then we find out it was actually controlled by some foreign middle east transnational....

and made it so that all cache's had to be resource oil related?

not saying it would happen....

but.. who knows....

enough of this crazy talk....

muhahahhahahhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

and o yeah....

didn't we take all of our geese back?....

last time I looked it seemed as if they were all returned.....

lates....

[This message was edited by shabbasuraj on November 29, 2002 at 02:44 AM.]

[This message was edited by shabbasuraj on November 29, 2002 at 02:45 AM.]

[This message was edited by shabbasuraj on November 29, 2002 at 02:45 AM.]

quote:

Could somebody please close this thread and put it out of its misery????!!

That way it can die the death it was meant to two weeks ago and we can all move on.

Somebody...Anybody...Please!

DirtRunner.

Die Thread Die!! icon_mad.gif

22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Wow I am fairly new but I would like to give my 2 cents.... If someone has a post and you do not agree with it post your opinion fairly try not to lash out at the person and further more I find that 2 many of you people have to much time on your hands, are you all retired? icon_smile.gif Now as for my response to this thread I am new never had a problem with this site or searches I reside in CANADA and I am dadgum proud of it! NOW for a suggestion instead of calling the topic starter names, TRY: putting your home co-ords in the search and you will come up with the nearest to far caches in your area that is how I started!! And I have about 10 caches under my belt but not all are logged yet icon_frown.gif anyway happy new year!!)

AND THANK-YOU JEREMY and TEAM for the excellent web site!!!

quote:
Originally posted by wicka:

Wow I am fairly new but I would like to give my 2 cents.... If someone has a post and you do not agree with it post your opinion fairly try not to lash out at the person and further more I find that 2 many of you people have to much time on your hands, are you all retired? ...

If I was would that mean, You lashing out at me? icon_eek.gificon_frown.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by wicka:

"...Obviously you are one of the people im talking about WELCH!!..."

"...you of course have to much time on your hands and enjoy causing problems..."

"...People like yourself need to get a life!..."

"...you obviously want me to respond so you can have a little excitement in your otherwise meaningless life!..."

At the risk of you labelling me as someone who's retired with too much time on my hands (actually, I'm neither), it appears that you subscribe to your own particular - and thankfully 'rare' - brand of online rudeness.

ontario1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by gm100guy:

"...I am posting here just so you can see my new picture of me standing on a frozen lake in the Muskoka's..."

I haven't seen a pair of white muckluks like those since I left the Army!

Actually, I've yet to find anything else that can keep your feet quite as warm, so I bought myself a pair a couple of years ago ...although I opted for the black 'Less Nanook of the North-ish' ones.

icon_smile.gif

ontario1.gif

Why is the site unfriendly to Canadians? Or, how could it be 'more' friendly, without going overboard.

You can search by province, which is good.

You can search by postal code. Not bad.

Someone will likely say, 'well the forum doesn't break up the regions'... but I say, why do we need that? East versus West? We do that well enough on our own.

Nevermind that California with a population as big as Canada's shares a forum with no less than SIX other states.

Who knows. There are some site changes coming.

canadazuuk

Well, I may be new to Geocaching, but I've been around the web for a while.... I am a web designer and my company has it's own web server so I got a domain name and site to deal with my new hobby. Here it is: Dragoncache.com

I have a mobility disability, so I am rather limited in my Geocaching activities, so I've decided to try and contribute to the Canadian Geocaching community in my own unique way...

The Dragoncache site has new forums and I've set up an extensive section dealing specifically with the sport of Geocaching in Canada. It is not meant as a replacement for Geocaching.com, but rather as an alternative forum with a more Canadian flair and tone.

I've set up sections specifically for each province so that it could help the local/regional cachers to find each other, or travelling cachers to ask locals if they require assistance or information.

I hope that it proves helpful to the Canadian Geocaching community.... Looking forward to meeting some of you on the Dragoncache forums!

~ Jade Dragon

Dragoncache.com website